MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Gun Park

Notices

Old 19-08-09, 17:08
Derek Heuring

Default Field Gun 75mm M1897 aka 75mm QF Mark I

Does anyone have any information regarding the M1897 Field Gun's use in WW II? I found references to the 75mm QF Mark I suggesting it was used at some point by Commonwealth forces but there is scant info. I ask because I have found a U.S. Field Gun 75mm M1897 languishing in a city storage compound here in Texas and I'm seeking permission to, if not buy it outright, to at least be given care and control of it so as to refurbish it and use it in parades and reenactments. I'd like to accurately portray it's use in a Commonwealth unit, if possible. If not, I'll have to buy an American uniform. Thanks for any help, Derek.
Old 19-08-09, 20:28
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Default Mr. Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapper740 View Post
Does anyone have any information regarding the M1897 Field Gun's use in WW II? I found references to the 75mm QF Mark I suggesting it was used at some point by Commonwealth forces but there is scant info. I ask because I have found a U.S. Field Gun 75mm M1897 languishing in a city storage compound here in Texas and I'm seeking permission to, if not buy it outright, to at least be given care and control of it so as to refurbish it and use it in parades and reenactments. I'd like to accurately portray it's use in a Commonwealth unit, if possible. If not, I'll have to buy an American uniform. Thanks for any help, Derek.
Derek.
Get a hold of Grant Bowker at Military Manuals..
He has the the manual for you..These were obviously mounted on half tracks so there is a little info any way,,..
It is a good manual and will list the other TM's that you may need..

114 pages
TM9-306
75mm Gun M1897A4 mounted in combat vehicle(half track)
10 June 42
Old 19-08-09, 23:15

The Field Regiments of the 2nd Canadian Infantry Division were equipped with the US made 75mm M1898 Guns in England. There is a chapter in George Blackburn’s book “Where the Hell are the Guns?” called “The Guns of 1898”. His regiment received the 75mm guns in October 1940.
Old 20-08-09, 05:57
Dave Demorrow

d.
there is a restored one inside the DIVARTY HQ building for the first cav at ft hood.
42 6LB GUN
and the list keeps growing, and growing.... i need help LOL
Old 21-08-09, 19:09

There is some information here from the book British and American Artillery of WW2 by Ian V. Hogg. This is the best book on the subject. My copy was published in 1978 but it may have been re-published.

Obviously these guns were replaced as soon as modern weapons became available. I have seen Polish forces using them in training as well.
Attached Thumbnails
75mm gun.jpg  
Old 27-08-09, 14:46

I found this picture recently on the internet but unfortunately I don't remember where.
Hope it is of use.

Regards
Gerry McGinty
Old 29-08-09, 20:35
Terry Warner

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McGillivray View Post
The Field Regiments of the 2nd Canadian Infantry Division were equipped with the US made 75mm M1898 Guns in England. There is a chapter in George Blackburn’s book “Where the Hell are the Guns?” called “The Guns of 1898”. His regiment received the 75mm guns in October 1940.
Summer and Fall 1940 was a pretty grim time on the British Isles. The BEF had withdrawn from the Continent in very sorry condition. They left most of their heavy equipment behind, and were fearfully anticipating a German invasion. We now know it was OPERATION SEA LION. It was a sure sign of Lend Lease and shared interests that the US shipped obsolete 75s to the UK.

In my simple opinion, you could safely imitate the same markings as a British or Canadian 25Pdr, and parade safely knowing few people would spot any inaccuracies.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!
Old 02-09-09, 16:12

Sapper,

If the gun you discovered is on wooden spoked wheels, as in the lovely photo posted by Gerry McGinty, then it is the famous French 75mm, or an American manufactured copy. The tell-tale is that apparatus (?) just below the muzzle. It was the standard American ( and French! ) field gun of WW I.

In 1934 a new version was manufactured with a different recoil system, and a more modern carriage with split trails which overcame the original gun's greatest defect, that of limited elevation. The new carriages' pneumatic tyres also allowed the gun to be towed at high speed.

As for the photo, W.D Census Numbers 1278563 to 1283562 were alloted to Czech Forces, as confirmed by the CS oval. Strange about the prefix; on tractors it should be H, as L denoted Lorries.
Old 03-09-09, 20:21
Derek Heuring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godwin Hampton View Post
Sapper,

If the gun you discovered is on wooden spoked wheels, as in the lovely photo posted by Gerry McGinty, then it is the famous French 75mm, or an American manufactured copy. The tell-tale is that apparatus (?) just below the muzzle. It was the standard American ( and French! ) field gun of WW I.

In 1934 a new version was manufactured with a different recoil system, and a more modern carriage with split trails which overcame the original gun's greatest defect, that of limited elevation. The new carriages' pneumatic tyres also allowed the gun to be towed at high speed.

As for the photo, W.D Census Numbers 1278563 to 1283562 were alloted to Czech Forces, as confirmed by the CS oval. Strange about the prefix; on tractors it should be H, as L denoted Lorries.

The gun is the later version (M1897A2?) (M2A1?) without the over-travel stop, wooden wheels and fixed trail. I 've heard back from the head of the Historical Association and he is looking into the possibility of my proposal. The good thing is he didn't immediately dismiss it out of hand as undoable. I'll take some pictures of the gun next time I'm down in *** ********* and post them for everyone to see. Derek.
Old 29-10-09, 22:56

Hi

There is a wealth of manuals etc on the web at the Internet Archive and on the Combined Arms Digital Library. These includes several on the M1897 as well as other general US books on WW1 production and artillery during the period - all free.

Good hunting

Doug