MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 22-08-06, 23:15

Default Canadians in Eastbourne during WW2 …

The south coast resort of Eastbourne was ‘home’ to thousands of Canadian soldiers, who were billeted in former private schools and large houses which had been evacuated by their owners. Scores of different units passed through – some staying for a few weeks, others for up to seven months.

On 7 November 2006, the town’s Local History Society is to publish ‘Canucks by the Sea’ (187 pages with 75 illustrations) – a slice of social and wartime history based upon the recollections of veterans, local residents and war brides, together with regimental histories and War Diaries. We are most grateful to contributors to this forum who have responded to queries over the years.

The genteel image of Eastbourne did not match that of a garrison town, and there was apprehension when people heard the Canadians were coming. Business boomed in the pubs, and there were brawls between Canucks and Inter-Allied Commandos. At the Winter Garden dances, Canadians met local women – both single and married. One Eastbourne lady comments wistfully, “And life has never again been so exciting!”

There was immense gratitude towards the men, all of whom were volunteers. Soldiers were invited into homes; they organised children’s parties, and helped with the harvest. They put out incendiaries and cleared debris. The War Diary of one infantry regiment comments, “This Battalion feel that they belong to Eastbourne, and Eastbourne belongs to them.” Some 150 local girls married Canadians – nationwide the number exceeded that of GI Brides.

A succession of infantry regiments from three divisions defended the beaches; the RCE constructed defences and an emergency airfield above the cliffs; RCCS units monitored German radio traffic from a seafront mansion. Concert parties such as ‘The Tin Hats’ and ‘The Kit Bags’ entertained the troops in church halls. Sexton self-propelled guns of the RCA clattered through the tree-lined roads, and LAA units fought off ‘Hit and Run’ raiders. A Bren-gunner downed an enemy aircraft over the power station, but the other raider got away – 60 years on, the pilot was interviewed in Hanover for the book. Shortly before Dieppe, there was a heavy night raid when aircraft dropped flares and specifically targeted a district into which a Canadian infantry brigade had just moved.

If any of the Canucks who were in Eastbourne during WW2 fancy a nostalgic return this autumn, it would be wonderful if they could attend the launch, which will take place at a meeting of the Local History Society a few days before Remembrance Sunday. The Society is not in a position to offer civic hospitality, but this would be an opportunity for veterans to meet local residents who remember those days. For my part, I would certainly enjoy helping them to find some of their old haunts.

The book will be available from the UK, and the matter of distribution in Canada is being investigated. With the permission of the webmaster, further details will be posted in due course.

Michael Ockenden
Eastbourne Local History Society
Old 25-08-06, 19:29
Vets Dottir

Hi Mike,

For starters, I apologize that I didn't see and respond to your post earlier!!! (thank you Mark for pointing this post out to me )

Our Webmaster, Geoff, is away until about Sept. 8th and rarely has access to computer while away, and when he does, it's only for an hour or so and no time to read and post in MLU, but I will alert Geoff to your post/thread so he can reply himself.

I'm "MLU Housesitting" to help Hanno and Geoff while Geoff's away ... and I know that I, for one, want to know more details about "Canucks by the Sea" as I'm sure many others MLU-ers INCLUDING GEOFF are too!

Karmen
Old 25-08-06, 20:37
Vets Dottir

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark W. Tonner
..... that is because your blind you old Bat!!!!...... , now sit up straight and pay attention......the nerve of some people's children, dozing off when they should be paying attention, especially when they are suppose to be "MLU Housesitting"
I'd be nice to me, Old Fart, as I do have verra VERRA much power right now ... like I can have at the GREAT KEY OF DELETE and BANISHMENT iffen I've an inkling to do so

Old 14-09-06, 17:17

Default Old albums – fresh photos …

The posting about our forthcoming book, ‘Canucks by the Sea – The Canadian Army in Eastbourne during the Second World War’ has produced from Canada a number of photographs of soldiers in wartime Eastbourne. Even though these are too late to be included before publication on 7 November, there may be a second edition in due course.

Such pictures of soldiers and local scenes are of great local interest, and the Society would very much like to have copies of any others which may be languishing in albums in Canada. They would make a valuable addition to our collection of photographs and documents.

We have not been able to identify all the units that passed through the town. However, in no particular order, here is a list of those referred to in the book … some at length, others more briefly:-

2 Anti Tank Bde, 4 Arm Div Sigs, Calgaries, Chaudières, Edmontons, Essex Scottish, Hastings & PER, Irish Regt, PPCLI, QOR, Maisonneuves, North Shore NB Regt, Perths, Queens Own Camerons, Royal Canadian Regt, Royal Highland Regt (Black Watch of Canada), Royal Montreal Regt, Royal Regt of Canada, Royal Winnipeg Rifles, Saskatoon LI, Seaforths, Toronto Scottish, Westminster Regt, 2 Fd Regt RCA, 4 Fd Regt RCA, 5 Fd Regt RCA, 8 Fd Regt RCA, 19 Fd Regt RCA, 23 Fd Regt RCA, Beachy Head & Michel Dene Artillery Ranges RCA, No 1 Cdn School of Artillery (O’seas) RCA, 1 LAA Regt RCA, 2 LAA Regt RCA, 6 LAA Regt RCA, 11 LAA Regt RCA, 9 Fd Amb RCAMC, 3 Fd Coy RCE, 7 Fd Coy RCE, Special Wireless Units RCCS, Concert Parties: Bandoliers, Forage Caps, Kit Bags, Tin Hats.

Information and photographs greatly appreciated.

Michael Ockenden
Old 12-10-06, 03:16

Hi there,
I am very interested in obtaining a copy of your book "Canadians by the Sea. " I see that the Royal Winnipeg Rifles were stationed in Eastbourne. Will someone please send me an e-mail if the book becomes avaiable through this forum. Pauline St Denis
PS Geoff, are you part Scandinavian? I saw that comment about a mouth full of Herring! Hate the stuff, even the smell of pickled herring.
Old 12-10-06, 12:15
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Quote:
Originally posted by Pauline St Denis
PS Geoff, are you part Scandinavian? I saw that comment about a mouth full of Herring! Hate the stuff, even the smell of pickled herring.
Good lord, no... I'm half mean-tempered Scot and half intransigent bloody English... which means, I guess, a thoroughly classic Canadian! Herrings shall never touch these lips....
Old 12-10-06, 20:07

Quote:
Originally posted by Geoff Winnington-Ball
Good lord, no... I'm half mean-tempered Scot and half intransigent bloody English...
Intransigent...................... yes indeed a most worthy attribute particularly when facing irritating European dictatorships don't ya know

As for the Scots bit........... it's the weather and the bloody porridge that makes them mean

Pete PTO&G with Bar

PS would be very interested in details of your book Mike
Old 12-10-06, 20:51
Vets Dottir

Quote:
Originally posted by Geoff Winnington-Ball
Good lord, no... I'm half mean-tempered Scot and half intransigent bloody English... which means, I guess, a thoroughly classic Canadian! ....
Add a little Native Indian and French and you'll be even MORE CLASSIC = ULTRA CLASSIC
Old 12-10-06, 21:23
RIP

Quote:
Originally posted by Pete Ashby

As for the Scots bit........... it's the weather and the bloody porridge that makes them mean
It's wearing a kilt in a land of thistles that really makes them mean.
Old 12-10-06, 22:03

Quote:
Originally posted by servicepub
It's wearing a kilt in a land of thistles that really makes them mean.
I think it gives them that wild look in the eyes........... or perhaps that the Tennats larger

Pto&G with Bar
Old 13-10-06, 11:20

Default "Canucks by the Sea" - Canadians in Eastbourne ...

The query about the Royal Winnipeg Rifles prompts me to confirm that, ‘Canucks by the Sea – The Canadian Army in Eastbourne during the Second World War’, will be published by Eastbourne Local History Society on 7 November. The launch is scheduled for 3.00 pm in the Court Room at Eastbourne Town Hall. We are expecting a good attendance from members, and from local residents who remember the Canadian presence.

One Canadian veteran has already bought his air ticket; another is planning to follow suit. It will be an honour to welcome these veterans, and we hope that others may decide to join them on this nostalgic return visit. We will enjoy helping them to find their old haunts.

As far as the RWR are concerned, there are just two references. However, the book gives a feel of what life was like for Canadian troops and local residents. The situation in Eastbourne was reflected all along the south coast, and so our book should be of interest to any veterans (and their families) who were stationed in this part of England.

We do not have a distributor in Canada, but the long-established Eastbourne booksellers, Harpers, will be accepting credit card orders with payment in Canadian dollars. Details are as follows: -

‘Canucks by the Sea’ by Michael Ockenden: 187 pp with 75 illustrations, six in colour. UK orders (£7.99 + £1.10 UK postage) by cheque payable to Eastbourne Local History Society, Gote House, PO Box 169, Polegate, BN26 6AA, East Sussex. Payment in Canadian dollars with credit cards (£7.99 + £4.25 airmail) via Harpers Bookshop (www.harpersbookshop.co.uk), 64 Grove Road, Eastbourne, BN21 4UH, UK.

Michael Ockenden
Old 14-10-06, 22:50
RIP

Default Availability of the Canucks By The Sea,

This message is for Pauline St.Denis.
Quote:
Hi Pauline:
Herb Danter here. With reference to the "Canucks By The Sea" I'm helping Michael Ockenden, the author to spread "the Gospel"about his book over here.
It's expected to be launched officially on 7 November next.
We are in close contact with each other so I can advise you when this book will become available.
My "e"mail address is hdanter@rogers.com and if you would kindly give me your address I will be able to advise you faster on any developments
Many Thanks for your interest.
Cheers
Herb
Herb Danter
Old 12-11-06, 18:52
Vets Dottir

Hi Folks,

It's great to read Mike's post that the book has been launched See Mike's newest post about this:

http://www.mapleleafup.org/forums/sh...&threadid=7342

Karmen