MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Carrier Forum

Notices

Old 27-09-03, 17:05

Default Info needed on floorboards and cushions

The Mk1 carrier manuals show a floorboard on the left and right sides, yet I have never seen one in a restoration. Obviously, the wood would suffer from its location due to trapped water, leaves etc.
Has anyone made repros of these boards? Can you describe how they are constructed?

Also, there is the seat cushion for the radio op. From several manuals, it appears the cushions are actually two square, unattached pads. One drawing shows the two on the wood "seat" for the Radio man being held in place by a web strap and buckle. This looks like one could be made using the web strap for the 37 pattern mills webbing larg pack, or to cut up one of the braces straps.

I take it, the strap ends are screwed to the wood seat base with a metal plate to reenforce it. When one of the pads is removed, it could be placed on the afore mentioned floor board and become the "kneeling pad".

Anyone have more info on these pads?

While I am at it, does anyone have info on just how the insides of the grenade boxes are constructed? I know there is some kind of wood peice, possibly cut out in shillouette of the Mills bombs, but again, I have never seen what all it looks like.

Also, I have access to an original Bren spare mags pouch that mounts on the gunners front hull by the left vision shutter. I am taking a pattern of it while I make a copy for myself. Anyone interested? They have a metal strap welded to a thin plate. Then the canvas bag, then a thin peice of plywood all held together with short screws and nuts.

Boy, now that I have got back to the list and have my carrier running, I have all kind of questions on the small and onscure bits!!
Patience with me!

Cheers,
Jim