MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Armour Forum

Notices

Old 07-08-20, 10:27

Default 75mm GMC on Half Tracks M5/M14

Hello. I am looking into the conversion of International Harvester half tracks to the 75mm GMC spec. factory mounted on M3 Half Tracks. I have only seen photos from late '44 and '45 of them in Canadian service (e.g. RCD) in NWE.
These were briefly discussed a thread from 2012-13. http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/sh...ght=Half+track .
Is anyone aware of any further/new information?

I was aware there were discussions regarding replacement fire support vehicles for Armoured Car Regiments when the M3 based GMCs wore out and couldn't be replaced from US stock. However these vehicles look like they are field conversions using the gun and mount switched into readily available M5 and M14 vehicles. Would this be an Unit or Corps workshop conversion?
Thanks.
Old 10-08-20, 00:49
Terry Warner

Default 75mm Gun Halftracks

Someone with access to the Royal Canadian Dragoons' equipment lists should be able to answer your question better.

From my (limited) understanding, these vehicles were taken on strength in Italy by less than authorized means. However, they proved themselves to be so useful, the RCDs carried them on the books legitimately. I don't know of any other way a dismounted 75mm would have come into the Canadian inventory. As for the "carriers" we might expect that with half-tracks in standard equipment tables, if an early vehicle was clapped out, the workshops would have found a suitable replacement from one of the equipment salvage dumps - or by other less than authorized means. Rather than attract too much official attention, my estimation is the Dragoons would have kept the rebuilds as low key as possible.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!
Old 10-08-20, 06:10

Default 75mm in half tracks US Army

Hi; My father's WW2 memoirs mention them as normal in the US Army, and recounts meeting a celebrating crew after they scored a German tank with their 75 in Sicily.
Dave N