MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 28-07-10, 19:28

Default Switchboard charging C5

Hi

Can anyone tell me what vehicle would have mounted the Switchboard charging C5. Thanks

Doug
Old 28-07-10, 21:26

I'm quite sure it fits the C15A wireless house body version (C15A WIRE-5). I don't know what else it fits, presumably it might fit other wireless vehicles.
Do you have a panel that you can share images of? I don't yet have a panel for my truck, after watching for a couple of years.
Old 28-07-10, 22:23

Thanks Grant

I will take a photo of the one at the Canadian War Museum next time I am there. I am a volunteer there so probably next week. It is still in its box...

Doug
Old 29-07-10, 00:43

I've just checked the EME regs Telecommunications FZ 256/3, the "Swithchboard , Charging, No. C5, Canadian" is listed as part of the "Installation Kit, W/S Cdn No. 19, Truck and Ground but not as part of the installation kits for any of the tanks, carriers or armoured cars. The description makes me think that it might have been used in other trucks as well, for example the GS body fitted with W/S 19 C15A WIRE-3 and the C8A HUW, Heavy Utilty Wireless. Possibly others too. I'm not sure if the W/S 19 was installed in the C15TA and if that would be considered a truck installation or an armoured car installation, the C15TA manuals didn't help me with this. I'm quite sure the War Museum already has a Switchboard in its C15A wireless truck on display.

If the museum is thinking their Switchboard C5 is surplus to requirement I'd be willing to give it a good home.

Last edited by Grant Bowker; 29-07-10 at 00:44. Reason: edited to add content
Old 06-08-10, 19:02
Derek Heuring

Default Pics of the charging board

Here are some pics of my charging board as well a wiring diagram for it. Send me your email address if you wish high resolution pics.

Derek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant Bowker View Post
I'm quite sure it fits the C15A wireless house body version (C15A WIRE-5). I don't know what else it fits, presumably it might fit other wireless vehicles.
Do you have a panel that you can share images of? I don't yet have a panel for my truck, after watching for a couple of years.
Attached Thumbnails
Charging board hook up.jpg  
Attached Images

Old 08-08-10, 20:17

Hi
thanks to all.
The c-15 at the CWM has a C5 switchboard installed with a No 52 wireless set and apparently complete battery and wiring setup. The vehicle markings are First Canadian Army and 9 over signals colours for the unit. The vehicle has a 34 foot antenna mounted to the left of the rear door - haven't found the 20 foot antenna yet. The museum has a complete installation and accessories for one 52 set - mounted in the truck, a second set with basic vehicle installation hardware (no accessories) - i guess the boxed c5 is for this one, and a real basic third set. At least, that is what I have found so far.
Doug
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0130.jpg  
Old 08-08-10, 21:25
Derek Heuring

Default This should answer your question

Here are some excerpts from a pamphlet listing both the "how to" and the "where to" install 19 sets in Canadian vehicles. The pam also has several illustrations with inset details showing exactly how it all was laid out in the vehicle. I can email any or all to anyone interested. Further, I have some 19 set extras, including a N.O.S. spare 20' mast that I would be interested in selling or swapping. Let me know if anyone is interested, Derek

P.S. T'is a glorious day, 101 degrees (I hear it's only 63 in Vancouver!?!) and the NFL pre-season starts today. Life is good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Knight View Post
Hi

Can anyone tell me what vehicle would have mounted the Switchboard charging C5. Thanks

Doug
Attached Thumbnails
Installing%2019%20set%2019440001.jpg   Installing%2019%20set%2019440002.jpg   Installing%2019%20set%2019440003.jpg   Installing%2019%20set%2019440004.jpg   Installing%2019%20set%2019440005.jpg  

Old 08-08-10, 22:31
GM Fox I

Default 52 Sets etc.

Quote:
Hi
thanks to all.
The c-15 at the CWM has a C5 switchboard installed with a No 52 wireless set and apparently complete battery and wiring setup. The vehicle markings are First Canadian Army and 9 over signals colours for the unit. The vehicle has a 34 foot antenna mounted to the left of the rear door - haven't found the 20 foot antenna yet. The museum has a complete installation and accessories for one 52 set - mounted in the truck, a second set with basic vehicle installation hardware (no accessories) - i guess the boxed c5 is for this one, and a real basic third set. At least, that is what I have found so far.
Doug
The wireless installation is nice, but they are using an antenna tuning unit from a No.9 Mk.1 set instead of a 52 set (it's the box mounted on the top right of the 52 set). Other than it being a museum and unlikely to trade, I have a No.9 Mk.1 set that sorely needs the tuning unit seen in your picture, and I just happen to have a spare tuning unit for a 52 set.

Does anybody know of a tuning unit like the one in the CWM wireless truck for sale or trade?

Here's a pic of my 52 set with the correct tuner (mounted on the alternate right side position).
Attached Thumbnails
Wireless No.52 - sized.JPG  
Old 09-08-10, 14:58

Ah.
Thank you - I think I can fix this problem. They have a second tuning unit that I think looks like yours. I will investigate on my next shift.
I think you are right about the trade - being a volunteer that is well above my pay grade. I don't think they have a no 9 set, but I am still unpacking stuff. Do you have a photo of your No 9 setup?
Doug
Old 09-08-10, 17:00
Senior Forum Member

Post Re: Vehicle markings

Quote:
The vehicle markings are First Canadian Army and 9 over signals colours for the unit.
Hi Doug;

The vehicle markings are those of Serial 1156A - Headquarters Signals, R.C.C.S., (1 April 1942 to 4 April 1944), which was converted and re-designated Serial 2354 - Headquarters, First Army Signals, R.C.C.S., effective 4 April 1944 and was disbanded effective 16 January 1946.

Cheers
Old 10-08-10, 17:19

Thanks Mark

Would you have an establishment for the unit? A subsidiary concern (mine) is that it might not have had a 15-cwt mounting a 52 set. Not that it makes much difference as that is the only vehicle the museum has that we could put the set in! It might be easier to change the tac sign.

Doug
Old 10-08-10, 22:31
Senior Forum Member

Post Re: WE for Serial 2354 - Headquarters, First Army Signals, R.C.C.S.

Quote:
Thanks Mark
Would you have an establishment for the unit? A subsidiary concern (mine) is that it might not have had a 15-cwt mounting a 52 set.
Doug;

According to the War Establishment - 'A Canadian Headquarters Signals' (Cdn III/312/1 - effective 3 April 1944), the only Truck(s) 15-cwt that the War Establishment called for was: 1x Truck, 15-cwt, GS and 1x Truck, 15-cwt, Water.

On another note, the only vehicle my notes show as carrying a C52 set was the Lorry, 3-Ton, Command Low Power (3-ton, 4x4, 158 wb).

Cheers
Old 12-08-10, 18:21

Mark
I was afraid of that. Maybe a brigade or div hq used it - still - they really have no choice.

Bruce
I have replaced the tuning unit with the correct one - thanks. I will take another picture.

Doug
Old 12-08-10, 20:41
a Canuck/Brit in Blighty

120 C52 sets were shipped to Trooper (UK War Office) in 1944. 79 of these were requisitioned by the Canadian Army Overseas in Nov. '44 for use in LCV LP only.

UK had ordered about 1100 sets for 21st Army Group so they may have used them in other vehicles. They were recommended as a better unit than the British WS19HP.
Old 13-08-10, 22:04

thank you all.
Doug
Old 15-08-10, 03:04
Derek Heuring

Quote:
thank you all.
Doug

De nada amigo.