MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 17-03-06, 05:27

Question tires.... again

Hey Guys, we're rebuilding a 25 pounder at work and I just bought some tires (9.00/16-made in Uncle Sam's Ass), BUT the old tires have a warning on the side that the new ones don't:

"for 5' rims only"

now, will these new tires fit on that rim or can I modify the new tires??? Can any one show me what exactly has to be done for the new tires to fit properly on these rims? The locking rim is not seating properly on the rim, so we want to sort this out before we get to the next tire and maybe not pay for an other tire.

Pictures with directions would be great, just to make it American proof.

Thanks

Paul
Old 17-03-06, 05:43
Dave Demorrow

I DONT KNOW ABOUT ANYONE ELSE HERE ON THIS FORUM, BUT I THINK THE WAY YOU TALK ABOUT THE USA IS JUST WRONG. I HAVE SOME GOOD FRIENDS IN CANADA, ENGLAND, AND OZ. I WOULD NEVER USE DISRESPECTFULL WORDS LIKE YOURS TWARDS OR ABOUT ANY OF THEM OR THERE COUNTRY. THIS FORUM HAS HELPED ME OUT AND HELPED DRAW SOME PEOPLE TOGETHER FROM ALL OVER THE WORLD. YOU MY FRIEND ARE SOMEONE WHO NEEDS TO NOT BE HERE WHERE OTHER QUALITY PEOPLE HELP EACH OTHER REGUARDLESS OF THERE COUNTRY WITH A COMMON HOBBY. THIS IS NOT THE PLACE JUST TO SHOW EVERYONE HOW MUCH OF AN ASS YOU ARE.
THATS JUST ME TALKING.
42 6LB GUN
and the list keeps growing, and growing.... i need help LOL
Old 17-03-06, 05:48

Unhappy tires

My apologies, for the saying.....

Paul
Old 17-03-06, 06:20
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Dave, I don't think any disrespect was intended. We have nothing BUT respect for the soldiers of the United States.
Old 17-03-06, 06:51
Derek Heuring

Default Re: tires.... again

Quote:
Originally posted by Paul Heise
I just bought some tires (9.00/16-made in Uncle Sam's Ass

Pictures with directions would be great, just to make it American proof.

Paul

Paul, I was disappointed to read the ill concealed anti-American remarks in your post. Perhaps you've had a bad experience with some Americans to give you this point of view...perhaps not. I know some segments of Canadian society delight in thumbing their noses at the U.S. We all heard about the disgraceful booing of the Star Spangled Banner by the Montreal fans at an NHL game, but I passed that off as mis-placed Quebecois nationalism, not representative of mainstream Anglo-Canada.
In my travels, which have been extensive, I have noted that the people with the greatest dislike of America are those most ignorant of the country.
I've now lived in the U.S. for 4 1/2 years and I've loved every minute of it. In those short 4 1/2 years I have made many friends here and the strength of relationships with them rivals those of pals of mine in Canada I've known since the '60's! The Americans I've befriended are generous to a fault, and accepting of different cultures. Case in point: shortly after the terrorist attack of Sept. 11th, a Nigerian electrician who had immigrated to the U.S. was on our crew and was spouting off about how America deserved to be attacked because of our support for Israel. At least that's what the newspapers in Abuja were reporting. Now, this gentleman had a couple of what I thought were huge strikes against him in the South...he was Black and a Moslem to boot. I thought this guy is going to get his ASS kicked for sure! Heck, I was angry enough to kick his ass and I'm Canadian. Did he get a can of well deserved whoop ass opened up on him? No. My American friends got up from the break table and left that idiot jabbering to himself. He certainly enjoyed his First Amendment rights that day.
America doesn't have to open it's borders to the poor of the world, but it does. Believe me, the trickle of immigrants to Canada is nothing compared to the hordes at the gates of the U.S. Another point for those who dislike America... no country spends any where near what the U.S. spends on foreign aid each year! No one!
Does the U.S. have it's flaws? Sure it does. Does it make mistakes? Hell yes! But when you're a country that steps up to the plate now and then and takes a stand for what's right, you're going to make the odd mistake now and then.
Now take the Iraq war ...forget W.M.D. was ever mentioned. Would America have been right in removing such a sociopathic despot such as Saddam. Heck yes! But all we hear about from the world press is W.M.D., and don't forget, Americans will defend the right of the press to continue to harp about W.M.D.!
In the future Paul, please consider how your remarks may be taken by members of M.L.U.

Comments respectfully submitted,
Derek Heuring
Old 17-03-06, 07:07
Dave Demorrow

DEREK, IF YOU COME DOWN TO THE SHOW I CAN SHOW YOU MY MED RECORDS AND LET YOU SEE WHY IM 70%+ DISABLED.

saran nerv gas exposure, if thats not a WMD i dont know what is.
if you want proof that he had WMD just read the newspapers. 5 killed at a raid when nerv gas was released, 2 EOD troops sprayed with nerv gas at a road side bomb, 300+ M-22 rockets found in bunkers, 1/2 of a nuc found under a rose bush at a sientest home, 300 NEW north korean scud motors found in baghdad, rockets fired from 150KM away were hitting our forward basses at the beginning of the war (under UN rules 100km was the max). 30 L-29 aircraft were converted for spraying nerv gas (distroyed by RAF), 50+ IL-76 flights from baghdad to syria with secret cargo just befor the war, and on and on and on

paul, if you would have read the other posts here on this forum you would have known that there is a tire problem. i sugest that before you spend $1.00 us or CA you ask someone here on the forum about it. im sure someone here could have answered your question and saved you lots of $$$$$. before i do anything now i ask the forum for help. with the exception of sapper there are some people here that really know there stuff.
42 6LB GUN
and the list keeps growing, and growing.... i need help LOL
Old 17-03-06, 07:42
Derek Heuring

Quote:
Originally posted by alleramilitaria
DEREK, IF YOU COME DOWN TO THE SHOW I CAN SHOW YOU MY MED RECORDS AND LET YOU SEE WHY IM 70%+ DISABLED.

saran nerv gas exposure, if thats not a WMD i dont know what is.
if you want proof that he had WMD just read the newspapers.

Dave, don't forget what Saddam and Chemical Ali did to the Kurds.

with the exception of sapper there are some people here that really know there stuff.
Dave , remember the comments in my previous post about friends...

CHIMO!
Old 17-03-06, 10:11
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Default Now, where we up to?

Oh, yes, tyres!

It is unusual that your old tyres have marked on them "For 5 deg rims" as this is the bead seat profile commonly described as "for American wheels". If these old tyres fit your rims with no trouble, then current US manufacture 9.00-16 tyres should be right.

Mike Kelly posted these dimensions of the differences some time ago:
Attached Thumbnails
16inrims.jpg  
Old 17-03-06, 11:56

Unhappy tires

Guys, my apologies again...

There was no disrespect intended, but the saying comes from American pieces of kit. If you have noticed any piece of kit since the mid '60s, there are many instructions on them and the saying ONLY refers to oversimplifying instructions, I hope that I'm not digging a deeper hole

but casting stones.....

Tony, thank you for your reply.
Old 24-03-06, 01:04
M38A1 CDN3

Default 900 x 16 tyres

I just saw an advert in a Brit militaria magazine.

Tyre size as above, Ferret Dyna-Trak run flats, (just what I would really like for my CMP)...

225 GBP each!!!!

Crikey!!!!
Old 24-03-06, 01:19

Default Back to the subject

When i built my 15 cwt I took the tires I put on it, which were US 9:00 x 16 to the tire installer with my 15cwt rims. The old timer at the shop and I had a talk. I told him the rims had 5 degree markings on the old tires. His answer was "Don't worry about it if they are 9:00 x 16 tires on the same size rims they will work OK. And they did. Never had a problem. He said he had installed the tires on CMP's before and everything worked OK.
Old 24-03-06, 03:40
Derek Heuring

Default Re: Back to the subject

Quote:
Originally posted by peter simundson
When i built my 15 cwt I took the tires I put on it, which were US 9:00 x 16 to the tire installer with my 15cwt rims. The old timer at the shop and I had a talk. I told him the rims had 5 degree markings on the old tires. His answer was "Don't worry about it if they are 9:00 x 16 tires on the same size rims they will work OK. And they did. Never had a problem. He said he had installed the tires on CMP's before and everything worked OK.

The problem isn't getting them on...it's getting them off to repair a flat down the road. I had no problem installing the U.S. made 900 X 16's NDT's on my CMP, the problem came when I had a flat and tried to remove the tyre from the rims. Fortunately one half would come off so I could replace the tube. I heartily recommend trimming the inside bead a sixteenth before installing.
Old 24-03-06, 04:00

Default Trimming

You may be correct. Methinks the rust in the rims took care of that problem when sandblasted.