Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 18-04-20, 00:57
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Default Here's a story for the Grandkids

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...r-jet-joyride/

Old 18-04-20, 03:10

Hi Tony.

I ran across that news in an aviation website just the other day. Apparently part of that fleet of aircraft is now grounded for inspection.

The pilots seat should have automatically gone next. His canopy blew, his seat failed.

An inflatable dingy should also have been deployed. It failed because it was improperly packed.

Kudos to the pilot. He had to dump fuel, get away from nearby residential areas and return to base all while wondering if and when his seat was going to decide to fire. They roped the plane off for 24 hours before disarming the seat.

What a retirement party.

David
Old 18-04-20, 04:27
Terry Warner

Default my version of a similar story

In the 90s I was staff at the Flying School in Moose Jaw. A Tutor had a birdstrike on final. The instructor took control, zoomed to gain altitude, steering away from the runways and buildings, and ordered to prepare to abandon the aircraft. A few moments later he ordered the student to eject and he followed. The instructor had a pleasant chute ride. The student tumbled, got a line over, and was doing all his CABC and 1 Cdo drills to beat the malfunction and save his life. He didn't get rid of his seat pack; doing a 5.9 Olympic grade Iron Cross with the risers was working. He landed hard, but got a compression fracture.

The Adjutant ordered me to prepare paperwork for one day of Casual Paratroop Allowance. He was a qualified parachutist. He was ordered to exit the airplane by the aircraft commander. He did make a successful parachute landing. After a long delay, the Comd of CABC respectfully refused to authorize to pay the allowance. The man was not occupying a jump position.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!
Old 19-04-20, 21:37

Hi

As a younger soldier I had my personal plans over ridden by the system at the last minute (not the only time that happened) and on a Saturday I ended up doing a dog & pony show at a southern Ontario Airshow with a couple of Cougar AVGPs from 1H. To be honest it wasn't un-fun and I made the best of it (not the only time that happened either). Long story short, I was invited to fly in a Snowbird.

I really really did want to but with a toddler and not all together healthy wife at home waiting to salvage some of the day, I declined. My place was taken by a young Sgt from the local Recruiting Centre. We were casual acquaintances back in Pet.He was a jumper.

So........the Snowbird goes down in Lake Erie and both he and the Pilot eject. I actually hear it on the radio driving home. Pilot OK but passenger not so much so. Compressed back. Eventually I go into the hospital to visit and remind him to get the pilot to sign his jump book and put in for cas para allowance.

Not sure what happened; never saw him again.

regards
Darrell
Old 20-04-20, 01:37

Darrell you are one lucky guy !
94 LSVW
Old 20-04-20, 02:29
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

One of the links in that story leads to this interesting article;

https://www.nationalaviation.org/our...app-john-paul/