Go Back   MLU FORUM > BUY, TRADE or SELL > For Sale Or Wanted

Notices

Old 14-07-03, 00:30
Vets_Dottir

Default Wanted: Hat Badge/Medal

Hi...a friend of mine is wanting a couple of things for his collection:

1) French German Star Medal
2) 5th Mounted Rifles Hat Badge

Let me know if you have one or both for sale or know who does?

Thanks... Carman
Old 01-09-03, 14:25

Default Medals other Things WWI WWII

Hello we have different Medals and other military things(Daggers,Gorget,Helmet,...) from period WWI WWII You can look on our pages .
I greet. Piotr
http://www.pbase.com/oldmot/newest
http://republika.pl/bayonets/
http://www.geocities.com/oldmot/
Attached Thumbnails
7dscf0001 mpu loaf.jpg  
Old 18-09-03, 07:15
Grounded Flyboy

As a collector of German as well as Canadian militaria I would like to help you but I have no idea what a French German star medal is!!! Also who's 5th Mounted Rifles are you talking about???
Where's Yapping? I go to Kootenay Lake twice a year and have never heard of it???? Like to help!

Bob
Old 18-09-03, 07:29
Vets_Dottir

Quote:
Originally posted by rdwilliams
As a collector of German as well as Canadian militaria I would like to help you but I have no idea what a French German star medal is!!! Also who's 5th Mounted Rifles are you talking about???
Where's Yapping? I go to Kootenay Lake twice a year and have never heard of it???? Like to help!

Bob
Funny guy!!!!

I don't know what those things are either, so there!!!! The neighbor just told me what he wanted and I posted it. He collects. I'll try track him down over the next couple of days and see if he can be more specifc and clear,,,, if he's still interested and can describe these things better I'll repost the request ok.

YAPPING BC, is whereever I am...don't yah know that by now??? Actually a small town about 5 miles from the Kutetl Lake fire (which is still only 35% contained and still 162 firefighters working it when I checked today)

Hey... do you happen to know anyone in this area who could sit with me and help me understand my uncles WW2 service records? I can't find anyone!
Any leads would be great Thanks a lot...Carman
Old 18-09-03, 08:58
Vets_Dottir

Default Re: Medals other Things WWI WWII

Quote:
Originally posted by Panzmot
Hello we have different Medals and other military things(Daggers,Gorget,Helmet,...) from period WWI WWII You can look on our pages .
I greet. Piotr
http://www.pbase.com/oldmot/newest
http://republika.pl/bayonets/
http://www.geocities.com/oldmot/
Hi PIOTR ... I passed on those links to the guy who is looking for those things.

By the way... what is the significance of the "Skull and Cross Bones" on that German thing where I see what looks like Hitlers name embroidered??? Am curious:

Thanks...Carman
Old 18-09-03, 19:06
Grounded Flyboy

Hi Carman,
Although I've gone up there for 20+ years I've never heard of Kutetl lake. We usually stay in Balfour,Nelson or Mountain Shores.As far as finding someone to help you with your uncles service records all I can suggest is to contact your local Royal Canadian Legion branch. They might have someone that could help. In all the years that we've been going there I've never met any collectors or anyone even remotely interested in military history. Maybe I'm hanging with the wrong crowd : .

Good luck,cheers,Bob
Old 18-09-03, 19:59
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default France and Germany Star

The proper title to this medal is as above, and full details reference its issuance, plus pictures, are available on the VAC website at:

http://www.vac-acc.gc.ca/general/sub...group04/fgstar

Click on the photo in the link above for a larger version which you can print off.

Campaign medals such as this are available regularly on Ebay as well as through collectors. Because there were 230,000 issued, they are neither rare nor terribly expensive.

<addendum>

The 5th Mounted Rifles were a Boer War organization, as I discovered doing the following Google search:

http://www.google.com/search?as_q=&n...h=&safe=images

Have fun...
Old 19-09-03, 00:10
Vets_Dottir

Quote:
Originally posted by rdwilliams
Hi Carman,
Although I've gone up there for 20+ years I've never heard of Kutetl lake. We usually stay in Balfour,Nelson or Mountain Shores.As far as finding someone to help you with your uncles service records all I can suggest is to contact your local Royal Canadian Legion branch. They might have someone that could help. In all the years that we've been going there I've never met any collectors or anyone even remotely interested in military history. Maybe I'm hanging with the wrong crowd : .

Good luck,cheers,Bob
BOB: Thanks. Balfour, is even closer to the fire and if you have friends there you'll be glad to know they were lucky and the Kutetl (West Arm Park) fire didn't reach them. Close, but no cigar.They'd even brought in a barge just in case because the little ferry is too small to evacuate everyone in a hurry. Fire is stillonly 35%containedtho/182 people fighting it.

Regards this area... yep ... I think the military types around here stay in the closet or keep a low profile for the most part. Lots of strong anti-war types here get their knickers in a knot ? I dunno. I'll try the legion again. I'll persist ... a little more persistantly

Actually... we have a little Kootenays buy and sell sort of paper with a wide distribution that actually has a full page add calling for recruits for the Armed Services! (anoutsider snuck itin? haha)

GEOFF ... thanks for posting that info and the links
Old 19-09-03, 14:27

Hi Carman,

If you would like contact names of potential sources for the medal & badge your neighbour is seeking, please feel free to send me an e-mail:

wjprawak@hotmail.com

Regards,

Walt
Old 19-09-03, 16:36
Vets_Dottir

Quote:
Originally posted by Walt
Hi Carman,

If you would like contact names of potential sources for the medal & badge your neighbour is seeking, please feel free to send me an e-mail:

wjprawak@hotmail.com

Regards,

Walt
Hi Walt.... thanks a lot. I still need to catch up with him to find out if he's still looking and interested first ok?.

Meanwhile...I LOVE the little blurb at the bottom of your message:

Lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way. That would be good rule both at the front and and in life in general hey? Cool!
Old 19-09-03, 19:38

Default Wanted: Hat Badge/Medal

Hi! Craman
This for what you ask this is flag'' Standarte Adolf Hitler'' I sold this some time ago inscriptions and skull and also two thunderbolts SS from second pages all was embroidered.
I greet. Piotr
Old 20-09-03, 02:19
Vets_Dottir

Default Re: Wanted: Hat Badge/Medal

Quote:
Originally posted by Panzmot
Hi! Craman
This for what you ask this is flag'' Standarte Adolf Hitler'' I sold this some time ago inscriptions and skull and also two thunderbolts SS from second pages all was embroidered.
I greet. Piotr
Thank you for your reply Poitr. Now I know its a flag, and I know that the skull and crossbones means "poisinous" on containers with poisonous liquids, but I was wondering about the traditional meaning, and why that symbol would be chosen for the german military? What did it signify for them?

thanks Carman
Old 21-09-03, 13:18

Default 5th Mounted Rifles or 5th Canadian MR

Could the badge issue be clarified? There was a CEF battalion designated the 5th Canadian Mounted Rifles. It served with great distinction in France and Flanders during WW1. Two members of the unit won the Victoria Cross, George Pearkes and Charles Rutherford. The unit was recruited in the Eastern Townships area of Quebec and was raised along with the other Canadian Mounted Rifle units for service in the middle east. When that requirement was changed, the 5th CMR, along with the 1st, 2nd and 4th were converted to infantry and served with the Canadian Corps. These CMR units were disbanded after WWI and are perpetuated by various militia units of the modern Canadian army. The soldiers of other CMR battalions (3rd, 6th etc) recruited at the time were put into the reinforcement pool. None of the units ever served operationally as mounted rifles.
Being in Canada, could it be that this is the unit in question?
Old 21-09-03, 13:46
Vets_Dottir

Default Re: 5th Mounted Rifles or 5th Canadian MR

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Alexander
Could the badge issue be clarified?
Hi Bill ... I'm going to print out your entire message and take it to "AL" tomorrow if I can catch him at home ... I'll get him to clarify I'll also ask him about connection to the Boer War (geez... it would be easier if I knew all this stuff eh? Civvies )

I'll get back on all this asap ...Thanks... C