MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 27-03-03, 17:33

Default Serial Number

Hi David,
I tried to send you a private message but it wouldn't go.
Anyway, I've found the serial number of my F15A on the transmission, just in front of the shift lever. It is 2G882F; which matches the frame number, as far as I can make it out.
So its a 1941 not a 40, I guess.
I will visit the other units in the neighbourhood over the next month or so and get their numbers, if I can. Are you only interested in CMP numbers? There are lots of Dodges (M38?) around here.
Jim
Old 28-03-03, 11:32
former Resident Historian

Default 1941 Model

Yes, thanks...it's a 1941 Model. Seeing that "2" in front would suggest that it was a '1942' one ....
Old 28-03-03, 17:25

Question ..the frame numbers.....

Hi James

You are one step ahead of my with my C15 cab11..

...on your frame numbers..... what were they like... size... how easy to read.....visible by looking directly under the cab on the left passenger side????

Will be towing my truck closer to the barn so I can use the power tools this weekend..... hoping to be able to remove the engine cover this weekend and check the tranny numbers like you did...

Hang in there
Canada
Old 30-03-03, 14:34

Default Frame Numbers

Hi Bob,

The frame serial number on my F15A is located under the left door in the space enclosed by the floor, the front fender and the step. It is on the upper forward part of the frame in that space. Its a dark little corner and the corrosion on mine is heavy enough that it took considerable scraping and sanding to find it. I couldn't make out the number even after I found it. All I could get were the last three characters. I tried a pencil rubbing but that didn't help much either. Oblique lighting worked best. The characters are about 1/4" tall.
The guy I bought the truck from still has the original motor; I could get it from him if I could match the number. I thought I was stumped until I noticed in the Instruction Book that the number is on the transmission. Just in front of the shift lever and slightly right of centre, it is easily legible; preserved by a heavy layer of grunge. The figures are smaller than on the frame.
The only other number that I have found on the frame is on the centre of the rear crossmember, facing the rear, just in front of the tow hook. Mine had a license plate there and that seems to have preserved the number. It is 0?1 over 5035. I believe the top number is 011.
I understand that this is some kind of body style number. I guess the 11 refers to the cab type.
Does anybody know what the 5035 means?

Jim
Old 31-03-03, 19:27

Default ....thanks for the info....

Hi Jim

Had pouring rain on Saturday so that was a waste.. unwrapped the truck on Sunday and found part of the tarp still frozen in ice on the ground even after all the rain we got. Been spaying every nut and bolt with ReleaseAll hoping that will help.

Then broke my 3 point hitch home made device moving frozen fire logs...... therefore had no means of moving the truck closer to the barn.
So I spent the sunday afternoon building a better stronger one that allows me to use the tractor as a tow truck whereby I can lift the front end of the ground and move the truck like a traielr on its rear wheels.

Tried my and at a few of the nuts and screws holding the inside engine cover ..... hiyaii could not move even one.. so I soaked again ( 3rd time) with more oil..... will no doubt have to drill or grind a few..... not an interesting prospect considering the confined cab space... may actually have to remove the seat frames first. I am thinking of applying low heat with a small propane torch and try again with impact hammer on low setting... the screws are particularly hard.... another appoach maybe to weld small 1/4 inch nuts on the screw top... all very time consuming.

So far I could not see any numbers on the frame... but I am told that not all trucks have them. As to the tranny numbers.... they are going to be hard to reach.

One question... the floor in my truck is a very heavy deck plate with an unusual dashes and round buttons.... a different style of deck plate that I am familiar with..... is your like that???

Thanks for the info... stay in touch...
Canada
Old 04-04-03, 12:33

Default Bob

Hi Bob,

wow You have seats! And firewood too! (I'm just about out).
We had two to three feet of icy snow until last week. A few nice days took it down a lot. Then on Monday we got 120mm of rain and it all came into my basement. It was not a disaster but certainly a mess.
My interior cowling was mostly rusted away around the bottom so it didn't come out that hard. I took out the whole unit, rather than just the facing panel. That top facing panel is held on by stove bolts; the square nuts are held by sheet metal tabs to keep them from turning. My tabs are all rusty and weak and I don't know where one would get that sealing strip material so I left it together.
The floor on my unit is made of regular diamond treadplate. Your description of your floor jogged my memory though. I noticed it on one of the vehicles that I looked at last summer but I can't remember which one it was.
I do have most of a driver's seat
Jim