MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Armour Forum

Notices

Old 17-04-19, 21:37

Default Irresponsible Spending

Who in their right mind would spend 250K on vehicles sight-unseen? I'd be looking for a new Museum President.
Old 17-04-19, 21:55

More. Rather sad tale really

https://scholar.google.ca/scholar_ca...=2006&as_vis=1
Old 17-04-19, 23:44

Default legal fees

wait for the other shoe to drop, in Canada loser pays the defendants legal bills. thats why there are so few comparatively legal cases like this in Canada.
I was associated with a company that sued another and lost, ordered to pay a few hundred thousand, meetings, tighten belt change a few purchases to down the road, we will survive.... then the million dollar legal fees and after bankruprtcy there wasn't a dime left....
Old 18-04-19, 00:00

Quote:
Who in their right mind would spend 250K on vehicles sight-unseen?
Well said!

By the way.....how did the bids go that high anyway......I mean, there had to be at least one other bidder that was willing to pay top money for these vehicles, right?......otherwise the price would have been much lower???

Alex
Old 18-04-19, 02:40
John McMichael

I started this thread, probably with a little too much guilty joy at others expense, that I regret and I apologize for. All in all it's a shame, I certainly would not go casting aspersions on the ONTARS president. Alan is a smart, successful businessman who has been a real benefit to the museum and the Canadian military vehicle community.

I will admit in my earlier collecting days I made some major mistakes, mostly born from a lack of knowledge, unbridled enthusiasm and misplaced trust. Who of us hasn't at one time or another got little excited and bought a bag of magic beans?

No matter what we are all on the outside looking in and in the end it is a very interesting and sad event, but the reality is I am sure we don't know all the circumstances surrounding the case.

What I am glad to see is this has not seemed to effect the momentum the Ontario Regiment Museum has gained in the last few years. Lessons learned, onward and upward!

John
Old 18-04-19, 05:33
Terry Warner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmcm View Post

I will admit in my earlier collecting days I made some major mistakes, mostly born from a lack of knowledge, unbridled enthusiasm and misplaced trust. Who of us hasn't at one time or another got little excited and bought a bag of magic beans?

Bean? I got some of those right here! Come on over and let me tell you about them.

And I wholeheartedly agree with your sentiments. The museum got a punch in the nose for its excitement. Time to lick their wounds, make a few new plans, and get on with the season. As for the boss named in the decision, I wouldn't be too harsh. A famous hockey player said, you miss 100% of the shots you never take.

74-????? M151A2 plated and on the road
70-08876 M38A1 ready for the road
53-71233 M100CDN trailer manufactured by MCI ready for the road

Wow! All three green beasties run!
Old 27-04-19, 00:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmcm View Post
I started this thread, probably with a little too much guilty joy at others expense, that I regret and I apologize for. All in all it's a shame, I certainly would not go casting aspersions on the ONTARS president. Alan is a smart, successful businessman who has been a real benefit to the museum and the Canadian military vehicle community.

No matter what we are all on the outside looking in and in the end it is a very interesting and sad event, but the reality is I am sure we don't know all the circumstances surrounding the case.

What I am glad to see is this has not seemed to effect the momentum the Ontario Regiment Museum has gained in the last few years. Lessons learned, onward and upward!

John
I tend to agree with what you say John and while the guy may be brilliant, successful and competent in what he does for a living he did make an ill thought out purchase on this one sight unseen. Sadly the plaintiffs should have done the due diligence and had some knowledge of what they where throwing money at. The Victory Memorial Museums collection of vehicles (later Kruse Foundation) had a reputation of being made up and often incomplete so when the guy bought these as is/where is and sight unseen it just shows a breathing taking lack of study, or knowledge, regarding the vehicles purchased. That all said I have to salute the guy for moving the OntR museum so very far forward and giving it a bright future and potential. A costly mistake made for sure and no doubt many lessons learned along the way that will not be repeated .

Last edited by James P; 27-04-19 at 00:47.
Old 27-04-19, 00:55
GM Fox I

I'm curious what happens now (or has happened?). Does the museum take possession of the vehicles? Do they try and re-sell them? Keep them?
Old 27-04-19, 06:36
Terry Warner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Parker View Post
I'm curious what happens now (or has happened?). Does the museum take possession of the vehicles? Do they try and re-sell them? Keep them?
The pieces were on the floor when I visited a year ago. The guides were polite and clear that the vehicles were not genuine wartime examples. Considering all the other priorities in the hangar, I don't expect that these will get much attention for a while.

74-????? M151A2 plated and on the road
70-08876 M38A1 ready for the road
53-71233 M100CDN trailer manufactured by MCI ready for the road

Wow! All three green beasties run!