MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Carrier Forum

Notices

Old 04-01-11, 00:03

Default Water pump question

Carrier buddies,

Are the water pump housings, carrier specific, or just standard Ford truck units? When I compare posted pics from this forum to ones I see in catalogs they look different to me. Thanks in advance for your responses.

Stephen DeMocko
'44 MKII
Southern CA, USA
Old 06-01-11, 00:04

Default Water pump question solved!

Carrier community,

Well I didn’t get a response to my question about the water pumps so I took a chance and ordered the standard truck units for my late model block. It looks like they will work out fine. In the one pic I colored in the hole on the pump housing because it was a little to dark to see in the photo. Trying my best to position the tape measure over the centerline of the holes and take the pic I came up with a measurement of roughly 19-3/4”. Next doing the same with my newly fabed engine rails the mount holes will be suported nicely. I just had the horseshoe part of the engine mount bent up, made with no holes so that I could transfer punch the exact location when I have the drive train hovering in place. So a quick recap for those who are interested. The standard Truck water pumps appear to be the ones to use it is not a carrier specific cast body.

Stephen DeMocko
Southern CA, USA
“44 MKII
Attached Thumbnails
new truck pumps.jpg   truck pump mount centers.JPG   upper engine mounts.jpg  
Old 06-01-11, 04:15
carrier mech

I am guessing by your top mounted distributor that you are running an 8BA engine. In that case, you really had no choice but to use the 8BA truck water pump. The car water pumps for that year do not have the motor mount wings to mount the engine.

A original carrier engine would have had the distributor mounted directly off the cam, between the two water pumps. In that case the proper pumps used a two groove pulley. The pulleys were closer to the engine since the belts do not have to clear the distributer shaft like on the 8BA engine.

For an original carrier engine, the water pumps are the heavy duty ones, with proper bearings instead of bushings like used on the lighter duty single pulley pumps.

Rebuilt double pulley pumps are hard to come buy, but the rebuild kits for them are reasonably priced form MAC's.