MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 17-10-11, 23:47
Mr. HUP

Default Heavy Utility - Ambulance

I note with great interest that the Heavy Utility - Ambulance is not listed in Bill Gregg's Europe WW2, but is mentioned and has a photo (#144 on page 96) of a HU - Ambulance in his Blueprint for Victory.
Was there an official assembly line production of Heavy Utility based ambulances in Canada or the UK? If not, was there a standardized "package" for conversion by RCEME organizations in theatre?

I appeal to the corporate knowledge on MLU for some insight into the development of the HU-Ambulance.

Cheers!
Old 18-10-11, 01:10
Mr. HUP

Default Hemmings to the Rescue - part way...

According to http://clubs.hemmings.com/clubsites/...k/warchev.html, there was a contract for HU ambulances:

SM 2563
AMBULANCE 8 CWT. 4 X 4
(2 STRETCHER ACTUALLY 4 STRETCHER)
1942 IC5/AMB-2 BODIES ARTICIZED
13 BUILT BY 1 OCTOBER 1942

The question remains: Was the production run in Canada or the UK?
Old 18-10-11, 01:59

Without checking any sources, my feeling is that the HUP/HUA/HUW would have been shipped assembled rather than shipped CKD for assembly in the UK. There would be some volume saving in taking the tires/wheels/axles off (to stow inside the truck - hopefully not damaging the interior fittings, or under the truck in the crate reducing the space saving), but less than in breaking down a GS truck (specially the ones with knock down / bolt together bodies). What was gained by removing parts would be set against added size for the crate thickness, and the loss of being able to roll the truck around.
I will check more when closer to reference materials if no-one else gives a good answer first.
Old 18-10-11, 02:47
GM Fox I

HUA's were a standard HU variant produced in Canada on the GM assembly line. The parts book verifies this.
Old 18-10-11, 04:58
Mr. HUP

Default Chev Spare Parts Book

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Parker View Post
HUA's were a standard HU variant produced in Canada on the GM assembly line. The parts book verifies this.
I found annotations indicating "for" or "not for use with ambulance body" in the spare parts listing. I did not draw the conclusion from my version (C8A-04 dated June 1945) that there was a standard HU variant produced in Canada.

Bruce, Where did you find this in the parts book?
Old 18-10-11, 08:47
former Resident Historian

Default C8a hu a

The C8A bodies were unique in that they were built on the line at Oshawa, using bodies made by the 'Fisher' body plant there. These would have then been shipped to the UK and 'assembled' here. That would have meant fitting wheels and tyres on, etc. depending on the degree of packing.

As these were British contracts, the work would have been done by for example Pearsons of Liverpool.
Old 19-10-11, 04:06
GM Fox I

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHClarke View Post
I found annotations indicating "for" or "not for use with ambulance body" in the spare parts listing. I did not draw the conclusion from my version (C8A-04 dated June 1945) that there was a standard HU variant produced in Canada.

Bruce, Where did you find this in the parts book?
Rather inferred, wouldn't you agree? Why would a Canadian GM factory parts book make reference to parts used on a UK or 'after market' conversion? The heater assembly is quite detailed to be discussed if it was a conversion.

I recall (but am too lazy to check) that the introduction in the MBC1 and MBC2 manuals also talks about HUA versions. Why would they do this alongside HUP'a and HUW's in a 1942 factory pub?

Last, have a look at the HUP section in Bill Gregg's CMP profile series.
Old 19-10-11, 04:42
Mr. HUP

Default If I was American, I would be from Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Parker View Post
Rather inferred, wouldn't you agree? Why would a Canadian GM factory parts book make reference to parts used on a UK or 'after market' conversion? The heater assembly is quite detailed to be discussed if it was a conversion.

I recall (but am too lazy to check) that the introduction in the MBC1 and MBC2 manuals also talks about HUA versions. Why would they do this alongside HUP'a and HUW's in a 1942 factory pub?

Last, have a look at the HUP section in Bill Gregg's CMP profile series.
Bruce,

I will check Gregg's CMP profile series as you suggested.

Update: The Factory Photos diskette put out by Service Publications does show a number of ambulance photos at the GM plant. This confirms that the entire truck was made in Oshawa. My confusion began with the word "body", which I now know refers to the entire truck. This now makes sense to me.

Last edited by RHClarke; 19-10-11 at 04:51.
Old 19-10-11, 12:34
Senior Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHClarke View Post
This now makes sense to me.
. . . and the Lord said, “Let There Be Light,” so, Moses, being a good 2i/c, ordered three rounds of illumination . . .