MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > BUY, TRADE or SELL > For Sale Or Wanted

Notices

Old 13-11-05, 04:38

Default Dummy ammo wanted

I'm looking for a bunch of "dummy" ammo...not made up stuff,but real training ammo with the fluted sides...WW2 dated would be great.

Thanks in advance

Steve
Old 13-11-05, 04:50
AKA Roger Hull

So, what caliber fits your needs? And do you want it in packages, stripper clips, machine gun belts or what; or are you looking for artillery shells?

Roger in Vegas
Old 13-11-05, 07:45
carrier mech

If you are talking about 9mm, I have never seen it fluted. There were a few varieties of 9mm drill rounds that I have seen in Cdn service; 1942 and 1943 dated, which were reloaded cases with no primer. I believe them to have been reloaded because they have the three little triangular crimps where the primer would have been. The 42 dated rounds also have an extra indented band just below the bullet; not sure if this was on the live rounds, or was just on the dummies to prevent the bullet from getting pushed into the casing with repeated loading and srills.These rounds are still to be found in the CF weapons techs tool boxes, although they have since had three little holes drilled through the sides.
The next two rounds are all silver and one piece, and an empty primer hole. If I recall correctly, I have seen IVI marked, as well as British marked ones, again in the Wpn tech tool boxes.

Fluting was the norm on the .303 and some of the early 7.62 rounds.
Old 13-11-05, 13:38
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Aust issued Drill rounds were generally Nickel plated or painted silver. I have seen flutes on .303, 7.62mm, .50BMG and even up to bigger stuff like the Bofors 40mm Drill round pictured. I have never seen flutes on .380 Revolver or 9mm, but have seen them plain or with drilled holes in the case, which I have also seen on .50BMG.
Attached Images

Old 14-11-05, 08:44
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Default 9mm Drill

Aust made 1963. No flutes, Nickel case, blind primer hole.
Attached Thumbnails
img_2167.jpg  
Old 14-11-05, 08:46
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Default .303 Drill

Aust made 1955. Cases stamped D Mk10. Flutes, Nickel plate, primer anvil milled out of primer pocket.
Attached Thumbnails
img_2165.jpg  
Old 14-11-05, 09:15
Dave Demorrow

hey toney,
christmas is coming. the rounds would make great stocking stuffers
42 6LB GUN
and the list keeps growing, and growing.... i need help LOL
Old 14-11-05, 11:26
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Stuff you...'re own stockings, Mate!
Attached Thumbnails
img_2166.jpg  
Old 14-11-05, 15:37
Dave Demorrow

ouch, nope thats the wifes job
42 6LB GUN
and the list keeps growing, and growing.... i need help LOL
Old 15-11-05, 16:43
Derek Heuring

Default Re: Dummy ammo wanted

Quote:
Originally posted by 42mb
I'm looking for a bunch of "dummy" ammo...not made up stuff,but real training ammo with the fluted sides...WW2 dated would be great.

Thanks in advance

Steve
Steve, I have one word for you, "ebay". I've been looking for .303 drill rounds also. They come up for auction once in a while but are highly sought by collectors and go surprisingly high. I had bid several times, only to lose and finally had to get serious and sniped to get my set of five. My winning bid was $25.00! It was crazy to bid that much but that's what it took.
Another place for you to look would be at the H.A.C.S. (HIstorical Arms Collectors Society) shows in Burnaby at the Operating Engineers Hall just off Canada Way and Sperling. I've seen lots for sale there over the years. Contact Harry Moon for dates. Harry's a member here at M.L.U. and a search should get you his email address. Good luck! Chimo!
Old 03-12-05, 16:48

Default Dummy Ammo Wanted

Hi Derek,

Sorry for the slow responce...My computer died and because of the hours I put in on "Smallville" I finally managed to pick up a new one last Sunday and I have spent this past week answering emails.

Hows life in your neck of the woods? You and your other half make it through the all the storms ok????

Thanks to Dave,Tony,Rob and Roger and you Derek...I must have been on drugs the morning I placed my "Dummy Ammo Wanted" Ad. I should have asked for....10-20 rounds of 303,plus 3-4 stripper clips. If the clips and cases are stamped with a date...1944, would be great....I'm also looking for 100-200 rounds of 30-06. I don't need any Enbloc clips for the 30-06 ,as i'm going to partly fill a belt for my dewatt 1919A4 and also finish filling a cartridge belt I have on a fully outfitted store manniquin,thats set up in my den. It would be great if the cases are stamped 1943....I know i'm asking for the moon....so any 30-06 will do the trick.

Derek...The last time we swaped emails,it was on a "Radio's only" message board...I lost it's address when my computer died... would you be so kind and pass it on?...I have a few radios for sale or swap...a restored and complete "by the book" BC-1000 and a PRC-9 that comes with all it's accessories,plus a web shoulder harness and manual. It also comes with a backpack,cartridge belt,canteen, first-aid pouch,bayonet and scabbard,folding shovel w/cover. Most of this belt rig stuff is dated 1950-1952,so it works with the 51 dated PRC-9. I am also looking for a few Radio parts...so I would think that "radio's only" message board,would be the place to go.

Thanks again to all.

Steve
Old 03-12-05, 18:16
Derek Heuring

Default Re: Dummy Ammo Wanted

Quote:
Hi Derek,

Sorry for the slow responce...My computer died and because of the hours I put in on "Smallville" I finally managed to pick up a new one last Sunday and I have spent this past week answering emails.

Hows life in your neck of the woods? You and your other half make it through the all the storms ok????

Thanks to Dave,Tony,Rob and Roger and you Derek...I must have been on drugs the morning I placed my "Dummy Ammo Wanted" Ad. I should have asked for....10-20 rounds of 303,plus 3-4 stripper clips. If the clips and cases are stamped with a date...1944, would be great....I'm also looking for 100-200 rounds of 30-06. I don't need any Enbloc clips for the 30-06 ,as i'm going to partly fill a belt for my dewatt 1919A4 and also finish filling a cartridge belt I have on a fully outfitted store manniquin,thats set up in my den. It would be great if the cases are stamped 1943....I know i'm asking for the moon....so any 30-06 will do the trick.

Derek...The last time we swaped emails,it was on a "Radio's only" message board...I lost it's address when my computer died... would you be so kind and pass it on?...I have a few radios for sale or swap...a restored and complete "by the book" BC-1000 and a PRC-9 that comes with all it's accessories,plus a web shoulder harness and manual. It also comes with a backpack,cartridge belt,canteen, first-aid pouch,bayonet and scabbard,folding shovel w/cover. Most of this belt rig stuff is dated 1950-1952,so it works with the 51 dated PRC-9. I am also looking for a few Radio parts...so I would think that "radio's only" message board,would be the place to go.

Thanks again to all.

Steve
Hey Steve, good to hear from you again. Life is good down here, today's forecast is for 80 degrees and clear skies...rain is but a distant memory! We didn't feel the effects of Katrina or Rita, fortunately we're far enough from the Gulf that any hurricane would lose it's strength by the time it got here.
About your dummy ammo. For display purposes I find the most realistic dummies are the made up ones. I take the ammo to the range, thereby giving you an excuse to go, fire it, then I simply clean it, neck size it only, not full length re-size it, and reload it just with bullets. You end up with a realistic round with only the dented primer to show otherwise. I don't even drill holes through the case. Of course, you need to check the rules and sensitivities of the jurisdiction where the cartridges are to be displayed. Kesselring's gun store in Burlington just south of the border on Old State Highway sells FMJ bullets for the 7.62X34 in bulk. They're very cheap and mike out at .3105" so they fit the .303's .311" bore quite nicely. I have about 50 rounds of live .303 ammo headstamped: R/|\L 1943 VII. I also have about 100 rounds of '06, most of which is pre-war and '34 dated. I have very few that are headstamped DEN 43, a few AP rounds with U 42, and a few tracer stamped TW 53. The '06 are in a disintegrating link belt and I have two WW II .30 cal. ammo cans. The .303 rounds are in Vickers cloth belts.
I'm on a new computer since the "Radios only" web site and I couldn't find any trace of that website on my hard drive anywhere. I'll try booting up my old CPU and see if I can find it
I was in the bidding on the 38 set that just sold on ebay, however with my CMP sucking up all my spare money I had to drop out at $350.00. It went for over $500.00. There's a 19 set for sale right now that I'm watching.
Y'all be good and stay in touch! Derek. CHIMO!
Old 04-12-05, 00:47
Derek Heuring

Default Re: Re: Dummy Ammo Wanted

Quote:
Originally posted by sapper740
Kesselring's gun store in Burlington just south of the border on Old State Highway sells FMJ bullets for the 7.62X34 in bulk. . CHIMO!
Correction: Old PACIFIC Highway. Kesselring's is just east of I-5 at Lake Samish.
Old 04-12-05, 17:11

Default Dummy Ammo Wanted

Hi Derek,

FMJ...??...is 7.62x34 about the same size as 30-06? Will it fit M1 Garand enbloc clips?

It's close to zero here and theres some snow on the ground!! It's funny the way the price of the old 303 fluted dummy ammo has gone...I remember the surplus store in New Westminster,just a few years ago,had a half oak barrel full of them,at 50 cents each! How's the CMP looking?...not a common sight in Texas eh?

Have you had any luck at all,in finding that "Radio's Only" message board?? I would like to sell or swap the radio gear and post a "looking for" ad...I'm looking for 2 wooden chests/boxes, a...CH-72 and a CH-96...and I think it's a small metal box,a BX-32...all part of SCR-609/610

Do you know Cliff Jahn? If I was looking for 19 set stuff...he would be the first place I would go,then Colin Stevens next. If you don't know these guys,but would be interested in hearing what they have available or what they can get for you,let me know and i'll see what I can do for you...I think Colin is a regular here on MLU...Colin Stevens,are you out there????

Talk to you later...

Steve

Last edited by 42mb; 05-12-05 at 06:04.
Old 04-12-05, 20:53
Derek Heuring

Default Re: Dummy Ammo Wanted

Quote:
Hi Derek,

FMJ...??...is 7.62x34 about the same size as 30-06? Will it fit M1 Garand enbloc clips?

It's close to zero here and theres some snow on the ground!! It's funny the way the price of the old 303 fluted dummy ammo has gone...I remember the surplus store in New Westminster,just a few years ago,had a half oak barrel full of them,at 50 cents each! How's the CMP looking?...not a common sight in Texas eh?

Have you had any luck at all,in finding that "Radio's Only" message board?? I would like to sell or swap the radio gear and post a "looking for" ad...I'm looking for 2 wooden chests/boxes, a...CH-72 and a CH-96...and I think it's a small metal box,a BX-32...all part of SCR-609/610

Do you know Cliff Jahn? If I was looking for 19 set stuff...he would be the first place I would go,then Colin Stevens next. If you don't know these guys,but would be interested in hearing what they have available or what they can get for you,let me knowand i'll see what I can do for you...I think Colin is a regular here on MLU...Colin Stevens,are you out there????

Talk to you later...

Steve

FMJ: Full Metal Jacket, also known as FMC: Full Metal Case, or just plain old "Ball" This refers specifically to the type of bullet loaded in the round. I mentioned 7.62X34 simply because it uses a bullet size similar to .303 British. 7.62X34 cartridges won't work in the Garand clip as the .30'06's metric designation is 7.62X63...much larger.
Brrr! 0 and snow. The official high here yesterday was 89F. (with just a hint of a gloat!) That's 308Kelvin to the Fahrenheit challenged! lol
The drill rounds have really gone up in price! as have most things WWII. Have you seen the winning bids for helmets and battle dress blouses on ebay!!
My CMP is coming along, I've finished painting it DTB, now I'm building a box and installing new tires. I'm getting it ready for a parade Dec. 17th. We've got a bunch of Guardsmen returning from Iraq. My CMP is probably the only within 500 miles of Texas. There's a guy in New Hampshire who's got a couple and one just sold in California. It always draws a big crowd at reenactments!
Haven't found the "Radio" website...fired up the old CPU and checked "Favourites" and "History" to no avail.
Yup, I know both Cliff and Dan Jahn. Cliff has a good reputation for being a square dealer. Colin Stevens is also a good source of info, you can get his email address from this web site. There's a guy, can't remember his name, but he hangs out with the Western Command group. He's a Sigs reservist in Vancouver and seems to know everything there is to know about 19 sets.
Good luck!
Old 07-10-07, 20:31

Default Military radio experts in Vancouver, BC area

Military radio experts in Vancouver, BC area

One is Andy Hill in Aldergrove. Can reach care of his boss at ims@telus.net

Another in Maple Ridge is Bruce MacMillan at radio@telus.net He volunteers with SPARC (Society for Preservation of Antique Radio in Canada). They are open Sundays and have a place at the top of the hill at the back of the old mental hospital in Coquitlam.

Colin MacGregor Stevens, CD
Richmond, BC