MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 07-06-05, 03:21

Default Tank factories in Australia

When I served with the RAAF, for a brief period in 1964, I served with the Motor Transport repair squadron at Villawood.

This was a long building, which had rail access on the inside, of both sides of the length of the building. I was told that in WW2 this was a tank factory, though I doubt if it was a full factory.

Also later in civilian life, I used to have access to the Chullora rail workshops, where still were the big troughs for driving tanks through to check for water sealing.

Does any one know about these two sites and have there been any books written on them.

Also when visiting Islington SA workshops, I was shown a picture of what appeared to be a Bren gun carrier production line.

Regards

Col Tigwell
Downunder
Old 07-06-05, 10:14
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Chullora Workshops was the factory that produced the Sentinel tanks.
Chullora had just spent several years designing and perfecting the technique of manufacturing cast chassis frames for locomotives, which made their debut on the C38 class. Chullora Workshops were able to use this technology in the manufacture of cast tank hulls, a world first. As important as this sounds, it was borne of the fact that Australia could not obtain suffcient imports of the alloys to make conventional armour plate. To obtain the necessary hull protection, the thickness of ABP-3 (Australian Bulletproof Plate-3, a Nickel-free armour) required casting. The AC 1 was fitted with a 2pdr gun in a cast turret.
I had not heard of the factory ay Villawood (Did know of it's RAAF connection), but the caption for this AWM pic is:
"A prototype Australian AC1 Sentinel Cruiser Tank MkI negotiating a gully during trials at the Villawood test track in Sydney."
There is a book called "Armed and Ready" about the WW2 munitions and supply industries in Australia, with chapters on tank production.
Attached Images

Old 07-06-05, 10:16
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Default Sentinel AC3

AC-3 was fitted with a modified 25pdr. This necessitated a larger turret, which in turn required redesigning the hull for a larger turret race.
Attached Images

Old 07-06-05, 10:24
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Default Sentinel AC4

Prototype of the AC4 was fitted with the 17pdr:
Attached Images

Old 07-06-05, 10:28
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

ABP-3 was quite effective as an armour. Shown here is a demonstration of .303 AP and .55 Boyes AT Rifle.
The Sentinel program was shut down after about 60 tanks were built as larger numbers of tanks from American production were becoming available, and withdrawal from North Africa and retraining for Jungle Warfare meant the need for tanks were reduced.
Attached Images

Old 08-06-05, 01:30

Thanks that was most interesting.

By the time of 1964 the site was reduced down to about 5 acres. I believe during the war that all the area around was allotted to the factory.

The factory used to be on the R/h side coming from Parramatta and was on the corner next to the railway line.

Regards

Col Tigwell
Old 08-06-05, 01:49
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

The RAAF stores at Villawood finally closed in the mid 80s, the site is now a shopping centre. There were other RAAF stores at nearby Chester Hill and Sefton. All gone now, sitting on valuable real estate.
Old 08-06-05, 09:44
Graeme Jamieson

Default Bren gun carrier production

I,m lucky to have Newport railway workshops about a stones throw from me. They produced all sorts of things during the war years.
Attached Images

Old 08-06-05, 09:45
Graeme Jamieson

Default Islington

AWM only pic I could locate of Islington
Attached Images