MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 31-07-05, 17:45
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Default Canadian tax dollars spent well in England

On a recent trip to London, England, I happened to pass by Canada House in Trafalgar Square. As part of the VE celebrations, Canada House was hosting an exhibition titled "Canada in Britain: the war years 1939-45". Well, this is the shot, the Canadian Government telling Britons of the contributions made by Canada in Britain's "Darkest Hour". Here I was sure to find hidden details recording the vital assistance offered by the thousands of troops stationed in Britain, the aircrew trained by EATS (sorry, BCATP), the essential materiel provided after the losses of Dunkirk, such as vehicles by Ford Canada, GM of Canada, pistols and light machine guns by J Inglis and Co, rifles by the Longbranch Arsenal, webbing and uniforms by Zephyr Looms, tanks by the Montreal Locomotive Works, field guns from Sorel industries, the vital shipping provided by Canadian Pacific Railway, the food that kept Britain fed. A reminder of the sacrifices that Canada had made in the name of Freedom? Surely there was much to be found here that I had not heard of before!
Attached Thumbnails
img_1777.jpg  
Old 31-07-05, 17:49
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Default But I was sadly mistaken

The premier effort of the Canadian Government in reminding Britons of the help offered and the sacrifices made during the war consisted of an Art Exhibition! ( <- What were they smoking?)
Old 31-07-05, 17:58
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

I must admit, though, the paintings were interesting in their own right and were sourced from the Beaverbrook Collection and were the originals. One painting (I should mention it was the only one featuring a CMP) that caught my eye was titled "Convoy through Wales". It featured a 15cwt MMG (Vickers section) vehicle of the Toronto Scottish Regiment. Now, the question that immediately struck me is: Is this Vickers gun shown out of proportion to the crew and vehicle, or were larger variants of the Vickers (0.5in Naval?) ever fitted to vehicles as AA protection?
Attached Thumbnails
scan10006.jpg  
Old 31-07-05, 17:59
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default Re: But I was sadly mistaken

Quote:
Originally posted by Tony Smith
The premier effort of the Canadian Government in reminding Britons of the help offered and the sacrifices made during the war consisted of an Art Exhibition! ( <- What were they smoking?)
This will surprise none of us who actually have to live here, Tony. Thanks for the sentiment, though, it is much-appreciated.
Old 31-07-05, 23:08
Bluebell

Default Have to...

So where would you PREFER to live Mr Spinning-the-bull?

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....
Old 31-07-05, 23:16
Bluebell

Default Vickers

Artistic licence I think Tony, The thing does look a bit big although I have not seen one in .50 cal. The sights come into question as well. The back sight was a long skinny flip up mounted on top of the action on the fluted water jacket .303 model that I once owned

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....
Old 01-08-05, 01:03
48th Highlander

Tony:

Your photo of Canada House brings back some fond memories of that building. When you went on leave to London Canada House provided a home away from home. Hot showers, clean underwear, tickets to all the entertainment houses in London, and they had I believe a great refreshment counter. All a gift. It was a frogs leap to the fountain in Trafalgar Square. Here are two photos, one taken in 1941 and the other 40 years later. Please note photo of the tank in the background promoting War Bonds.
Attached Thumbnails
joined pic of trafalger square.jpg  
Old 01-08-05, 04:04
aka C. Mark Perry (CMP)

The Canada House art show brings to mind recent stories kerfuffles over art at the Canadian War Museum, where some artsy-fartsy curatorial minds seem to think the death of a thief in Somalia, and the VD rate among the Canadian Army in Korea exemplify the service of Canadians in our military.

Beaverbrook himself made a major contribution to the war effort of course, and must be given credit for collecting the art as well.

I perfectly understand GWB's comment about those of us who live in Canada understanding the syndrome. Books have been written on it (e.g. Granatstein's). I like it here just fine, nonetheless, but N.Z. or Oz definitely have their attractions. (My dad said I should have emigrated to Aus. when I was 20 - missed my chance.) Next best alternative for us Canucks is Alberta, or that large country to the south, snowbird-style.

Canada does have some brilliant war art.
Old 01-08-05, 05:02
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Norm, glad it rekindled some glad memories for you. It was experiences like yours that I thought would have formed part of the exhibition. Canada House also provided me with some sort of sanctuary. While in England, I was constantly being being assailed with comments about the current Cricket Test between England and Aust, in which England had started off quite well. Once inside Canada house, there was no mention of cricket. Instead, the burly South African guy on security said: "So you're an Aussie, eh? Did you catch the Rugby the other night?"
Old 01-08-05, 06:56
Vets Dottir

NORM, You haven't changed a bit Thanks a lot for posting those photos ... I love to see them!

CMPERRY, do you have some good links for some of that good Canadian War art??? I'd love to see some I've begun to play with paints and brushes (artsy-fartsy moods again after many-many years of dry-spell : ) and am working with Kindergarten materials at Kindergarten levels. So far am making big messes, but one day, who knows, I may do a good painting or two. It would be kind of nice to do some work related to WW2 History ... I've also not forgotten my Uncles and their stories ...
So ... Canadian WW2 Art please

Karmen
Old 01-08-05, 07:00
aka C. Mark Perry (CMP)

Here ya go:

http://warmuseum.ca/cwm/artwar/introduction_e.html
Old 01-08-05, 07:37
Vets Dottir

Quote:
Originally posted by cmperry4
Here ya go:

http://warmuseum.ca/cwm/artwar/introduction_e.html
Hey Mark, thank you!!! I've been browsing the artwork ... powerful stuff!
Old 28-08-05, 22:58
former Resident Historian

Default CANMECH

Around the back of Canada House is Cockspur Street, and 2,3 & 4 Cockspur Street was the SUN LIFE ASSURANCE COMPANY OF CANADA Building {SUN LIFE BUILDING). I remember it well in the Seventies when I worked just off Bond Street, as the Building Society that we dealt with had a big tie-up with SLoC.

During the war as is well-known, Sun Life of Canada let their building to the Canadian Government and it became Canadian Military HQ or CANMILTRY, and of more interest on MLU it also housed Canadian Mechanization HQ or CANMECH from where the ex-Ford men ran Southampton's CMD and also the element at Dagenham, and then after Southampton was bombed, Citroen Cars at Slough and then the whole range of companies up and down Great Britain.

Here is the only photo I have of the entrance to the HQ, taken in 1940 after a bomb hit outside.

Last edited by David_Hayward (RIP); 23-11-06 at 12:03.
Old 30-08-05, 23:13
RIP

Default Interesting Treeaad=Traafalagr Square

In the book "The lancaster at War", there's a picture of my father crossing in front of a Lancaster up on a pedestal for a victory bond drive in Trafalgar Square..And where is he headed?Directly across the street to Canada House.Great photos!!
Old 02-09-05, 20:17
former Resident Historian

Default This Lanc????

The RAF truck is a Thornycroft I gather.

Sorry I do not have the book referred to in the next posting but I am sure it must be THE Lanc! This is an original COMMERCIAL MOTOR magazine photo by the way and available to view online:

http://www.chrishodgephotos.co.uk/

Last edited by David_Hayward (RIP); 03-09-05 at 12:41.
Old 02-09-05, 22:57
RIP

Default If it's in Trafalgar Square

Hi David,
I don't know if you have the book "Lancaster at War".But if your photo is of the Lanc at Trafalgar,maybe it's the one.The photo only shows my father crossing in front of the bomber while it's up on a pedestal with War Bond banners displayed on the pedastal
Best regards