MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 16-03-05, 09:09
former Resident Historian

Default Flt Lieut Fred 'Flying Freddie' Northover

It is with great sadness that I announce the death yesterday, 15 March 2005 of my father-in-law Frederick Ernest Northover, AEF TD RAFVR(T) Retd., at the age of 81, suddenly in Southampton.

Fred worked for Barclays Bank in Gosport where he was born pre-war and then volunteered for the RAF in 1941. Selected for eventual pilot training he was sent to Canada under the Empire scheme and flew Cornels, Harvards, etc. and then went on to Ansons, and finally Catalinas. He was based at various Canadian fields, and places like Moose Jaw, Regina, Medicine Hat and Vancouver rolled off his tongue. When flying an Anson over the Hudsons Bay the crew thought they spotted a periscope but did not report it until they returned. It then sparked a massive hunt for a U-boat that the RCAF had reputedly been looking for.

Fred was sent out to the Far East and flew Sunderlands, and was then demobbed in 1946. He rejoined the post-war RAF Reserve in 1948 flying Tiger Moths and then Sunderlands until 1951. Some time later he joined the Air Experience Flight for ATC Cadets at Hamble flying DHC1 Chipmunks and continued to do so until 63 1/2 years of age. Then circa 1962 he joined the Territorial Army as a Captain in the Royal Artillery whilst still being a RAFVR officer! He rode motorcycles and spotted on Salisbury Plain and then one weekend borrowed a Chipmunk and spotted for the artillery from the air! Never a man to stay in the past Fred had the chance to fly jets, and racked up Hunter, Nimrod and Hawk to his piston tally.

Fred landed his Chipmunk in a small field on the Isle of Wight in 1969 after his engine packed up, thus saving himself, his ATC student and the 'plane. For this he was awarded the Green Endorsement to his Flying Log. Fred finally flew a Cessna 172 late last year, having started his civilian flying with the Royal Artillery Flying Club at Middle Wallop.

Fred's elder brother Frank survives, aged in his mid-80s. Frank lives in Ottawa and was a wartime radar expert, emigrating to Canada with his wife after the war.

Fred loved Canada, and if things had been different he may have retird there but his late wife Daphne wanted to stay put.

Fred was awarded the Air Efficiency Award medal, for RAF reserve service plus the Territorial Declaration for 10 years' army TA service. He achieved over 40 years' service with Barclays Bank, and was also a member of the England Fly Fishing team for two years. The trout and salmon can now swim more safely.

PS I should add that Fred returned to Barclays Bank in 1946/7, and I am sure that other ex-servicemen might understand this: he found when he returned he was still going to be an 'oik' and yet he had been a captain of aircraft and served his country! He did think about trying for the new-fangled civilian outfit BOAC but decided not to go to the interview. His pal did, and ended up as a Captain on 707s and then went on to Kuwait Airways, retiring at 60. His son became a pilot and British Airways training Captain!

Last edited by David_Hayward (RIP); 16-03-05 at 13:41.
Old 16-03-05, 12:44
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

My condolences, David. It sounds like he was quite a man.
Old 08-06-05, 02:05
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Flt Lieut Fred 'Flying Freddie' Northover

Quote:
Originally posted by David_Hayward
It is with great sadness that I announce the death yesterday, 15 March 2005 of my father-in-law Frederick Ernest Northover, AEF TD RAFVR(T) Retd., at the age of 81, suddenly in Southampton.
Hi David,

I'm so sorry I didn't see this post of yours before now. Please accept my belated condolences now?

Karmen
Old 08-06-05, 09:06
former Resident Historian

Default Thank you

Thank you for your kind words. We have had the funeral and one day Fred's ashes will be scattered over Southampton Water possibly from a Tiger Moth because he flew them in the War and then post-war in the RAFR. He had wanted to have them scattered from a Chipmunk but they have now been retired save for two used by the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight.

David