MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 10-02-04, 16:03
former Resident Historian

Default Dodge trucks 1940-41

I have just had a delivery of copy papers from the National Archives in London. I have waded into them but so far I have found confirmation of the diversion and purchase of parts etc for Dodge trucks...VK or WK-62 [1,500 units] and T-203 [1,500 units again]. The doubt about model i.d. is because the letter I read refers to parts for the the WK-62 but other parts for the VK-62. I wondered whether the contract was fulfilled by part VK-62 and part WK-62, or whether Dodge supplied WK-62 units having contracted for the predecessor VK-62. It would appear that Canada imported their versions from Detroit going by serial numbers. Known #s are from WK-62s by the way.

More soon!
Old 11-02-04, 15:19

Default Dodges again.

The only substantial difference between the VK 62 and the WK 62 is the headlight position, grille trim, and radiator mascot.

I always refer to the VK's as being 'ex-French contract' I don't think many were actually in the ship and on the way to France when it fell, but since they had been bought and payment arranged they were just diverted to the French authorities who happened to be in the UK. At the time they were shipped the anti-involvement lobby in the US prior to Pearl Harbour meant that these could be regarded as a legitimate export sale, rather than war aid or lend lease or whatever.

Rick Jones VK 62B bus had a bodywork design drawing dated January 1941, indicating that the arrival in the UK was probably around that time. Wheels etc on those were standard American pattern. WK 62's would just be more vehicles of the same type (3 ton 160" wheel base from memory) but with slightly different grille trim and radiator shell top mascot. I've seen an image somewhere of one of them with an RAF serial number on it looking like an ordinary cargo truck, but I cant remember if the sheetemetal was 1940 or 1941-47 pattern.

Gordon
Old 11-02-04, 15:47

Default French contracts

Gordon, thanks mate. However the French contracts that had not been shipped were assigned to the UK on 17 June 1940, and the papers make it absolutely clear that these Dodge trucks were taken on by the British. Interestingly I found that Lend-Lease when it finally kicked in did not apply to vehicles etc. already in ship/en train, and so these had to be paid for in dollars.

May I refer you all to this thread that I have been working on please?
http://www.feldgrau.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=9125
Old 11-02-04, 16:43

Default Dates

The dates are interesting David.

Rick's bus chassis is late 1940 I think, which means it could have been ordered directly as a cash sale from the US then?
It's good that you are digging into this stuff as it does need to be documented. Unfortunately all these 4 x 4 trucks were very hard used post war and the survival rate is low.

Gordon
Old 11-02-04, 18:57

Default 1940-41 Dodges

I may be wrong about the Dodge nomenclatura, but afaik :
- the first letter means the production year : "T" for 1939, "V" or 1940, "W" for 1941 and later.
- the second letter : ??
- the first number could be "half-ton", as "3" for 1.5-ton
- the second number : ??
So, "VK-62" would be : a 1940 3-ton truck, "WF-32" a 1941 (and later) 1.5-ton truck.
Bart Vanderveen mentions a "VH-48" which would be a 1940 2-ton truck, but he describes it as a "3-ton" ?!
David, could you help ??
Regards, Oliver (»www.o5m6.de«)
Old 11-02-04, 19:16

Default Obscure

The Dodge referencing system is a little obscure Oliver, but in general terms....

WW2 US Dodges are primarily T, V, and W code trucks

T = 1939
V = 1940
W = 1941/47

The 39/47 series all shared the same cab so it's convenient to think of them as one lot.

Looking at just one year;

TC = half ton 4 x 2
TD = 3/4 or one ton (TD-15, TD-20, TD 21)
TE = 1.5 ton
TF = 2 ton
TH = 3 ton regular duty
TK = 3 ton heavy duty
TKD = 3 ton diesel

Pretty much everything was available as chassis cowl, windscreen cowl, chassis cab, or complete truck. Separate bodies were available from a host of manufacturers like the Metropolitan and Montpelier stepdown panels and COE conversions in 1939 (later replaced by Dodge in-house COE 1941-up.

If you have a third letter on the model code it's for extra features, like TKD is a TK Diesel, TKDA is a TK Diesel with 2 speed rear axle
The number at the end is the chassis length, VK 60 was 152" WB VK 61 was 170" WB, and VK 62 and VK 63 were 188" and 205" respectively.

That's the simple bit. Just like other manufacturers you could take a small chassis and uprate the suspension, axles, etc for particular loads or duties. From 1941 up, the W series also had 'M' trucks in there which were COE, so WF was I.5 ton, WFM was 1.5 ton COE. A VH-48, which you mentioned, would be a 1940, 3 ton regular duty, 178" wheelbase standard 4 x 2 truck, with no COE, dual speed rear, or anything fancy. Of course the army could have downrated it to 2 ton for a specific job.
Old 11-02-04, 20:39

Default Serials

I have the serials for all Dodge, Fargo and De Soto trucks of the period, including Canadian and US and Canadian government contracts. What seems to be missing though are UK contracts in some cases!

This is out-of-date and has been upgraded and updated but you might find it useful.
http://clubs.hemmings.com/clubsites/.../wardodge.html
Old 14-02-04, 17:05

Default Captured Dodge

Captured Dodge under German repair.
Could be a 1.5ton T-203-B.
Kindly supplied to me by Ferdinand Hejl.
Regards, Oliver.
Old 25-03-04, 23:29

Default papers..

David

Saw ref to paperwork you've acquired from the Nat Archives which refers to, amongst other things, the VK62s - any chance of a ganders or a copy? am trying to acquire stuff on this model to better understand my old girl

tia
Rick
Old 26-03-04, 08:06

Default Will..

...look it out and see what I have for you.

David
Old 26-03-04, 08:27

Default papers

Appreciate that, thanks. W&T issue 28 has a good writeup on them too, I have a copy here if you've not seen it.

cheers
Rick
Old 10-04-04, 11:12

Default Info source for David Hayward

Sorry to clutter up the board, but I didn't have an e-mail for David direct and somebody else might be interested in the info.

Mike Beckett, in Manchester, rang me this morning. He doesn't have an e-mail address of his own, but a message sent to his son Keith will get to him in a day or two;

Keith@beckettandsons.fsnet.co.uk

He confirmed he does have copies of pretty much all the Alexanders WC 42 production / assembly stuff, including a British manual with all the relevant numbers, and he would be very interested in making it available to you in exchange for any other info about this contract that you had.

As backup he gave me his phone number, 0161-773-1708

Gordon
Old 10-04-04, 11:23

Default E-mail

If you access my website my e mail is on it! Thanks Gordon...I have e mailed and sent the wartime British Dodge listing.

http://clubs.hemmings.com/clubsites/...alk/GMhistory/

David