MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 08-09-10, 03:34

Default 49 - 54 flathead into a CMP

I have gone through 2 '42 flathead engines, both with cracks in the cylinder wall. I have a 49 - 54 flathead out of a 2t Merc, that is good. Has anyone installed a newer flathead into a CMP? If you have, can you post some pictures of the throttle linkage that you used (or cable) and also the distributor assembly. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Paul
Old 08-09-10, 11:38
carrier mech

I installed a 49 engine into my carrier this summer as a temporary engine, until I get around to rebuilding my original carrier motor. The changeover wasn't too bad. I was able to use my original fuel linkage.
By what I have read on the internet, it is possible to replace the front cover over to the earlier style in order to run the earlier fuel pumps and distributor. This will effectively make it look like an earlier engine. It requires tapping and plugging the top water pump bypass holes on the block, and also requires the changing of the camshaft in order to drive the crab distributor.

If you are in need of an 8BA engine, I have a spare here (with a 49 truck still attached) which I was about to put up for sale.
Old 08-09-10, 13:01

Default '49 engine

Thanks for the offer Rob, but I picked up that engine from a wrecker in Stonewall. When you put that engine in your carrier and changed your cam, did the 'new' followers fit in, from the older engine cam?

thanks,
Paul