MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 25-01-16, 05:08

With the weather in my part of the world reaching as high as 44 degrees Celsius in the last few weeks, and work requirements taking up more of my time than I'd like, work on the carrier itself has effectively ground to a stop. Personally, I'm not a big fan of hovering over a angle grinder or welding in that type of heat....

That said, I haven't being doing absolutely nothing on the few days that I have had off. Before Christmas I spoke with my friend with the 3D printer, who had previously assisted in reproducing some LP2 builder's plates in that medium. I approached him with an idea of making a model of the drum magazine from a Lewis Gun to sit in the ammo rack for said gun once the carrier is completed.

So after checking the relevant legislation in my state, and trying to get some sense from the issuing authority on such matters, I turned to the friendly local licencing officer, and a plan was developed. What has been produced is a scale model of the item, being in 4 pieces, and being about 5mm smaller overall than the original - hence the term scale model. It's made from 4 pieces of solid plastic that when glued together and painted will look the goods when sitting in the the rack in the back of my LP2. As such they cannot, never could and cannot be modified to carry any rounds, and will not fit onto and cannot be modified to fit onto on weapon of any type.....as I said before its a solid chunk of plastic.

Attached are some pics of the prototype in the raw form off the printer and assembled, then cleaned up, spray puttied and primed and finally with the coat of colour on. I still have a little way to go with the relevant licencing authorities in my state regarding this, however it is a work in progress. As always, constructive criticism and comments welcome.

Regards,
Attached Thumbnails
x16.jpg   x17.jpg   x18.jpg  
Old 25-01-16, 09:06
Rick Cove

PM sent Matt.

Regards Rick.
1940 F30S Cab11
1940 Chev WA LRDG "Te Hai"
1941 F60L Cab12
1943 Ford Lynx
1942 Bren Gun Carrier VR no.2250
Humber FV1601A
Saracen Mk1(?)
25pdr. 1940 Weir No.266
25pdr. Australian Short No.185 (?)
KVE Member.
Old 25-01-16, 09:39

Hi Matt, they certainly came up a lot better than the blown plastic ones that I bought. Good job.
Old 26-02-17, 03:22

Hello all,

A recent update on the carrier restoration. Recently I've had some time available to me and some much needed cash to be able to make some progress with the restoration. So after a few weeks of work, and some very much appreciated assistance and guidance from a local fellow carrier owner I was able to have the hull stripped, sandblasted and primed in red oxide.

So what comes next? First of all I need to keep my kids out of it now that its clean and primed so that I can get it painted. Then I'll be working on all the other parts and begin to bolt things back in. Unfortunately the rubber on all the wheels has perished and is in an serviceable condition. I've already made a few enquiries about have new rubber tyres vulcanized onto the rims and so far I'm dreading what the missus will say when I tell her how much its going to cost......
Anyway, one step at a time.

I've still got no idea as to a time frame to have it finished, but that suits me just fine - it will be done when it gets done.

Enjoy the pics. As always constructive criticism and comments always welcome.
Attached Thumbnails
20170225_131514_resized.jpg   20170225_131507_resized.jpg   20170225_121405_resized.jpg   20170225_111728_resized.jpg  
Old 26-02-17, 03:39
Bluebell

Matt, you need to top coat it, Now!
Primer is generally porous and if it gets damp, rusting starts. you are fortunate to be on a fairly low humidity, bit of the planet.
Keep your eyes open for better wheels.
Try getting hold of Ron Winfer. He had quite a few a while back.

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....
Old 28-02-17, 01:28

Looks Great Matt well done . When I painted the Green I used a small flat brush and cut in around all the hardware e.g. floor fittings, inside dash cut out,
underneath engine rails , also I gave a good coating along all the seams inside the hull , this way when your spraying the big flat panels your not trying to get coverage around things in hard to get places . best to paint up under the drivers compartment first , then fire wall behind you , lower inside walls , floor then panniers then work your way out . Second coat you can take your time and spray away .. I think I used about 25 litres of KG green enamel , 20 litres of primer 1 x 20 litres of enamel thinners 1 x 20 GP thinners best to buy thinners in 20 litres with tap . These numbers are for the complete carrier not just the hull . hope this helps . Dale
Old 01-03-17, 02:23

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the advice. I was aware that primers are porous and susceptible to moisture, but I was trying to give my wallet a chance to recovery if only briefly before applying the Khaki Green. I've already started to brush in paint in the harder to get to areas before starting to spray it. It should all be under a coat of green in the next week or so.

Regards,
Old 01-03-17, 13:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Stephenson View Post

Attached are some pics of the prototype in the raw form off the printer and assembled, then cleaned up, spray puttied and primed and finally with the coat of colour on. I still have a little way to go with the relevant licencing authorities in my state regarding this, however it is a work in progress. As always, constructive criticism and comments welcome.

Regards,
Looks a lot like a large plastic wheel to me... just needs the hole through the middle for the Axle.

Why call it a repro magazine?

Tim
Old 01-03-17, 14:07

Default Undercoat

Matt,

A major milestone, great to see, looking forward to seeing all the bits going in.

"He who has the tiger by the tale, is often afraid to let go" - Confucius

Ford FGT No.9 (long suffering restoration project)
25 Pdr (Under Restoration)
No.27 Artillery Trailer (Under Restoration)
Bit and pieces of a 2 pdr AT (Looking for bits)
LP2a Carrier - 3" Mortar Trials (Restored)
Old 02-03-17, 12:46
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Stephenson View Post
Before Christmas I spoke with my friend with the 3D printer, ....
I approached him with an idea of making a model of the drum magazine from a Lewis Gun ......

So after checking the relevant legislation in my state, and trying to get some sense from the issuing authority on such matters, I turned to the friendly local licencing officer, and a plan was developed.

What has been produced is ... 4 pieces of solid plastic that when glued together and painted will look the goods when sitting in the the rack in the back of my LP2. As such they cannot, never could and cannot be modified to carry any rounds, and will not fit onto and cannot be modified to fit onto on weapon of any type.....as I said before its a solid chunk of plastic.

Regards,
Excellent work, and a very detailed result, but.. Meanwhile, elsewhere in NSW: Today's Sydney Morning Herald.
Old 02-03-17, 17:41

Hi Tony.

This is exactly the obstacle for anyone in NSW, myself included if I were to continue with these. However no such problem in other states as I understand it. The whole idea has now been dropped for exactly the reasons that found that person in the article in trouble. Until such time as the NSW firearms registry comes to their senses or we get national firearms laws more in line with less zealous states legislation then it isn't worth it.
Old 02-03-17, 17:55

Matt,

I agree with you about the attitude to firearms in NSW - their registry would have to be THE most difficult to get along with in Australia! A (long) while ago, I had the task of moving a couple of Commonwealth-owned semi-autos from Canberra to a Commonwealth facility in Vic and back again, and we were going to move them in a Comm Car. Checked with Victoria: no problem. Checked with NSW - where the offending firearms would be at most 4 hours within the state each way - and was told ONLY with a Ministerial approval which might take months to approve!

Answer: moved them by commercial courier at Commonwealth expense, which was legal in NSW.

So when I saw you were making scale replicas, it crossed my mind that you were dealing with the most draconian state of the Commonwealth when it comes to firearms, and it might not be worth the risk. Glad (for your sake) you have come to the same conclusion.

Mike
Old 02-03-17, 19:34
Bluebell

That is extreme. I used to associate "police state" with the eastern block or communist asia, but that is draconian and the police speaker is one eyed, in my opinion. I assume there are no water pistols in toy shops in your state, Matt?
I assume this because "people would only have them for one reason, "crime".

Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....
Old 03-03-17, 02:56
Rick Cove

I have three similar 3D printed Lewis mags and this is how mine ended up on the imitation Lewis on the 1940 LRDP WB Chev.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1&2 Cylinders Maffra 006.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	177.2 KB
ID:	88886

Name:	Clasic motor cycles 068a.JPG
Views:	3
Size:	222.9 KB
ID:	88887

Name:	095a.JPG
Views:	3
Size:	177.8 KB
ID:	88888

Name:	096a.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	169.3 KB
ID:	88889

Yes the .303 rounds are empty cases with the projectiles refitted.

Regards Rick.
1940 F30S Cab11
1940 Chev WA LRDG "Te Hai"
1941 F60L Cab12
1943 Ford Lynx
1942 Bren Gun Carrier VR no.2250
Humber FV1601A
Saracen Mk1(?)
25pdr. 1940 Weir No.266
25pdr. Australian Short No.185 (?)
KVE Member.
Old 03-03-17, 03:28

Hi all,

Thanks for all your replies. As you can see from the post date, I toyed (pun intended) with the 3D printed stuff just over a year ago. I did try to arrange a permit through the NSW firearm registry but got nothing but a headache. I attempted to get a permit for a replica vickers and lewis to go into my carrier, under what I was hoping to be a Police Commissioner's permit. No such luck unfortunately. I was promptly told by someone with no idea from the NSW firearms registry that I could rob a bank with something like that.....

When I tried to enlighten them about the logistics of carrying either a Lewis or a Vickers, and that I would render myself unable to carry my ill-gotten loot they then moderated a little. I was then informed that I could have the replicas but I would need to have category 5 safe storage, which basically means a bank vault with a single entry, back to base security and 24hr cctv. No problem I thought, but then it just got silly. Then then proceeded to inform me I must take said non firing replicas to a range twice a year to fire them......

When I then pointed out that these are non-firing replicas I was told that didn't matter and I still had to go to a range. In my frustration I said fine! I'll go to a range and make the appropriate gun noises myself, and when someone sees me doing this, I'll be reported under mental health, and after which the firearms registry will revoke my permit as I've been referred under mental health and therefore I'm no longer fit to hold any type of firearm.....

So what do I do next..... I give up. You just cant fight idiot bureaucracy. I tried to do this legitimately and in accordance with NSW laws. I did for a moment consider moving to Victoria were there is no such problem.

As for kids toys, the only thing like a gun in shops here bears the name NERF. Perhaps I can convince them to make something that resembles both a vickers and a lewis and problem solved. I have seen a nerf gun that does closely resemble a M4 assault rifle on the shop shelves. With just a coat of paint it would make a very convincing replica.....

Until common sense or any semblance or reason prevails I'll just continue working on my carrier.

Rant over.
Old 03-03-17, 03:53

Have a look at the emoticons on your iPhone. They used to until recently have a picture of a six shot revolver. It has been replaced with a green water pistol with a red end. They still have bombs and swords though.
Must have made someone feel a whole lot safer!!!
1941 Fordson WOT 2H (Unrestored)
194? Fordson WOT 2D (Unrestored)
1939 Ford 1 ton utility (Undergoing restoration)
1940 Ford 1 ton utility (Unrestored)
1941 Ford 1 ton utility (Unrestored)
BSA folding bicycle
BSA folding bicycle
1941 Ford/Marmon Herrington 3A gun tractor
1941 Ford/Marmon Herrington 3 gun tractor (Unrestored)
1941 Diamond T 969 (Unrestored)
Wiles Junior Cooker x 2
Old 03-03-17, 04:05

Whats an iphone?
Old 03-03-17, 09:11
Bluebell

Mike, it's the one that doesn't have the self ignition app.

Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....
Old 03-03-17, 11:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack neville View Post
Have a look at the emoticons on your iPhone. They used to until recently have a picture of a six shot revolver. It has been replaced with a green water pistol with a red end. They still have bombs and swords though.
Must have made someone feel a whole lot safer!!!
Love that one Jack that is so Funnnnnny
1945 No4 Trailer (Fmc) (Restored)
1941 Fordson WOT-2H
194? G506 Chevy truck (Yankee Joe)
Old 18-04-17, 12:47

One of the major components that I've been missing for my restoration is the air scoop. I had been on the hunt for one but had been unsuccessful in finding one in a usable condition. I was given access to a very rusted incomplete scoop and from that, along with another carrier owner, weve been able to make a couple of reproduction air scoops.

In the attached pics, you can see the progress of the new air scoops. I also wanted to include the old "master" air scoop as a comparision. There is still a bit of work to be done to finish them, some of the smaller fittings still need to be completed but the bulk of the job is done.

As always comments and constructive criticism welcome.
Attached Thumbnails
tmp_19669-20170410_140458_resized1486082569.jpg   tmp_19669-20170410_142537_resized-136625978.jpg   tmp_19669-20170410_151919_resized498819884.jpg   tmp_19669-20170410_153624_resized1433847145.jpg  
Old 18-04-17, 23:47

Very nice workmanship , to you and your mate . Well done ! The welds are scale like and look spot on . Matt make sure the angle at the back inside edge that holds the felt on is spot on , as the radiator is a tight fit up to it . Any Green on the hull yet ?