MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 26-03-20, 23:24

I wonder if in the future and with hindsight, this "Crisis" will end up being like the Y2K event, where we were all told that the World was going to end and we had to spend heaps of money at the accountant to become compliant?
Probably why Trump will re-start the American economy before anyone else?
Cheers Andrew.
Loyd Carrier / English / Candian / LP.
M3 Stuart
Old 27-03-20, 01:17

Default free meals, no questions asked

Sunday, 29 March, 2020:

A restaurant in Toronto, Ontario, Canada offers free meals, no questions asked.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...d-19-1.5513874

“A longtime family restaurant in Toronto is trying to help people who've lost their jobs during the COVID-19 outbreak by giving out free meals to anyone in need — no questions asked.

Like many restaurants in Ontario, Little India is facing a major financial loss after stopping dine-in service to slow the pandemic's spread.

But when former customers started asking if they could eat now and pay later, the owners knew they had to pay it forward.

"We existed in this community for more than 20 years. This community gave us everything," said general manager Sri Selvarasa, who runs the restaurant with his three brothers. Their family business has been on Queen Street West since 1995.

"Whatever we are today, it's because of this community. And now it's time."

Continued . . . “

Last edited by Michael R.; 30-03-20 at 03:02.
Old 27-03-20, 02:15
carrier mech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Rowe View Post
I wonder if in the future and with hindsight, this "Crisis" will end up being like the Y2K event, where we were all told that the World was going to end and we had to spend heaps of money at the accountant to become compliant?
Probably why Trump will re-start the American economy before anyone else?
Cheers Andrew.
I only wish we could be so lucky. Here in Canada we are just at the start of this. The "curve" is not really flattening yet, and could well be much worse than it is due to the limits on testing. Here is a site I like to use for a Canadian report: https://covid19tracker.ca/dist/index.html
Old 28-03-20, 01:00
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Michael R, it might be easier to just link that page so that members can delve down into each countries's stats if they wish.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
Old 28-03-20, 01:44

While the absolute numbers aren't pretty, the contrast between countries in terms of infections and deaths per million population are "interesting" when comparing some of the "most advanced/wealthy" to "less advanced/wealthy" in the list. And before anyone assumes incorrectly, I'm not equating wealth with advancement.
Old 28-03-20, 02:32

Grant, wealth equates to the ability to afford travel in far flung places inside and outside your place of work / residence. That is how its spreading on that basis I perceive.

Im glad I live on an island.

Home of the Maple Leaf Adapter
2 Canadian Mk1 Ferrets
Kawasaki KLR250 CFR 95-10908 ex PPCLI
Canadair CL70 CFR 58-91588
Armstrong MT500 serial CFR 86-78530
Two Canam 250s
Land Rover S3 Commanders Caravan Carawagon 16 GN 07
Trailer Cargo 3/4 T 2WHD 38 GJ 62
Old 28-03-20, 12:52

It's such an odd situation.....Here in The Netherlands, the maximum speed on the motorway was recently lowered to bring nitrogen levels down. For years the government has been trying to get people to work from home more often and spread working hours to avoid traffic jams and stuffed trains during rush hour. Now due to the Corona virus.....in just two weeks the nitrogen levels have dropped and almost 80% of people work from home!
Old 29-03-20, 03:18
Bluebell

N.Z. has had its first death. We went into lock down first thing Thursday morning.

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....
Old 30-03-20, 00:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Eades View Post
N.Z. has had its first death. We went into lock down first thing Thursday morning.
To late, stock up and await the worst.
Old 06-04-20, 23:09
Kevin

Default Big support for great people!

Here’s a project my kids wanted to do to help show our support.
Everyone stay safe!
Kevin and family
Attached Images

Old 24-08-20, 00:44
WO8 C15A 142736

Four months since the last post in this thread.
Here in the country area life is fairly normal, although events are still being cancelled or postponed. State borders still closed so no holiday this year, left the deposit with travel agent for next year. I still check the link Tony Smith provided and the numbers are still climbing unfortunately.
While I was sitting around after the knee surgery I started reading all the comments on face book and it wasn't pretty.
Then we have the problem with the media, instead of just reporting what is happening they are trying to make the politicians look as bad as possible and that is hindering the chief medical officers in getting their message out.
In my opinion some of the mistakes being made are caused by media interference.
Hope the MLU community is staying safe and we can travel together again in the future.
Old 24-08-20, 01:18
carrier mech

My area went 2 months (actually longer) without a case. But with the easing of restrictions, some workers from Brandon decided it was a good time to have a cultural get-together. We also have another identifiable group who live communally that sent representatives to an Alberta funeral. Between those two sources, our area has lost control. Today Manitoba set a record day, beating Ontario's numbers (who have 24 times the population) and almost equaling Quebec, which has about 8 times the population.

In our region, 45 of the 72 new cases were in our region, where the largest city is just 40,000.

At least we have not been plagued with deaths, and the government has moved our area up a notch in the response level, making masks mandatory and going back to earlier limits on gatherings.

I got back from a road trip to Ontario about 2 weeks ago and have only left the yard once since then, to get a covid test (travel to the East it id recommended to get one). Waiting the results, but quite frankly, I kept my trip fairly isolated, slept and ate in the vehicle, and generally used the forest for washrooms. MLU members were 3 of the 6 people I actually saw during my half day in Southern On.

Glad to see we have not lost any members to this thing, but it will get worse before it gets better. Everyone is waiting for an approved vaccine. Our government chose to partner up with a Chinese company, whose customs will not approve the export to us of the vaccine we helped create. But that is a whole nuther story.

Hope everyone remains safe.

Last edited by rob love; 17-09-21 at 19:38.
Old 24-08-20, 01:57

Default Safe here

Hi All

All ok here, but missing the social interaction. To say more would be to get into politically inappropriate speech, which I choose not to inflict on my friends.

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 24-08-20, 17:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Waterman View Post
Hi All

All ok here, but missing the social interaction. To say more would be to get into politically inappropriate speech, which I choose not to inflict on my friends.

Cheers Phil
that is what I use my Facistbook page for.... oops.
Old 08-09-20, 23:13

Things have taken a worrying turn here in Oz. In particular the state of Victoria has been quick to use heavy police tactics to quell any opposition to its dictates. By now everyone will have seen the pregnant woman being handcuffed in her pyjamas in front of her children for daring to try and organise some peaceful opposition to the stage 4 lockdown in Melbourne.
One aspect that is not mentioned in the mass media is that the police are canceling the shooters licenses of people charged with guide line infringement such as not wearing a mask, not maintaining social distancing etc
At the same time at a recent BLM rally in Melbourne where thousands broke the rules the authorities turned a blind eye. Not a single infringement notice or arrest.
I hesitate to get political but there is a lot more at stake here than just a health problem. Some people are definitely taking advantage of the situation to further their agenda.

David
Old 17-09-21, 17:27

Tiranny has arrived in Italy. Our government requires all Italian workers to have a "passport" to work! People without "papers" can be fined up to € 1,500 and suspended without pay indefinitely. This is evil, this is totally insane. Pray for us.

Thank for your attention, friends.

Luigi
Old 17-09-21, 19:45
carrier mech

Ah yes, the vaccine passport. A contentious issue here in Canada as the governments are making it mandatory to take the jab or lose your job. Personally, I got the vaccine as soon as it was available to me, however I believe and understand in the freedom of choice for those who do not want an experimental drug put in their body. Here in Canada that represents about 20% of the eligible population.

That 20% has been showing up wherever our current PM has been campaigning, shouting slurs and expressing their displeasure with him and his mandates.

In this province you require both shots in order to go to places like restaurants, museums or most events. We have cards with a Q code on them, and have to show ID as well. Can tattoos be in the future?

Strange times.

Last edited by rob love; 01-01-22 at 23:45.
Old 17-09-21, 21:52
a Canuck/Brit in Blighty

The polio vaccine was an experimental drug that every school kid received. It eradicated polio. The smallpox vaccine eradicated smallpox. If it wasn't for the fact that these anti-vaxers can wander around like typhoid mary I say let them be. Too many snowflakes claiming "rights".
Old 17-09-21, 23:07
carrier mech

And thalidomide was prescribed to many pregnant women in order to relieve pregnancy nausea.

I don't think we are going to achieve an agreement on this subject. I also do not believe that if we manage to vaccinate 95% of the eligible population we are going to eradicate this one. Children under 12 are not presently allowed to vaccinate, they congregate from families into groups daily, and their own risk of serious illness is minimal. Never mind that variants of Covid have and will develop which are more resistant to the current vaccinations.

As I said, I got vaccinated as soon as it was available to me. But I respect those that are waiting for more data so they can make an informed decision.
Old 18-09-21, 01:19
Junior Password Gnome

UK figures:

150,000 deaths from COVID-19 due to government incompetence. That's 0.15 Megadeaths.

120,000 deaths from government austerity. That's twice the British casualties on the first day of the battle of the Somme.

4.3 million children in poverty. (That's 363 Tory MPs who should resign.)

(Simon Roth on Twitter.)

OK, that wasn't really about COVID, but the vaccine is no longer "untested" or "rushed through" and the risks of an adverse reaction are far lower than the risk of death or permanent disability if you aren't vaccinated and catch it.

(Approx figures: The USA has lost 650,000 people to COVID-19, so far,

Vaccination reduces the risk of catching it by 5 times. If you are unlucky enough to still catch it you are 10 times less likely to require hospital treatment, and if you are very unlucky and do end up in hospital you are 11 times less likely to die of it.)

As for the people pushing conspiracy theories and disinformation, the USA is currently having more than 3000 deaths per day from COVID-19, more than were killed on 9/11.

Chris. (I've had two shots and am waiting for the booster to be available, meanwhile I wear an effective (FFP3) mask if I'm out and about - it's simply not worth the risk not to.) YMMV
Old 01-01-22, 23:57
carrier mech

Well, I beat the odds. I am triple immunized, with my booster being less than a month ago. Made it through my recent Mexico trip and had to test the second last day there. All clear. Got dinged for another test here in Canada before I left the airport.....got the results Wednesday that all was good. But as I went to work Wednesday, I was feeling pretty tired. Of course, I had awoken at 3:30 aam and did not get back to sleep, so I wrote it off to that. Besides, I was tottally alone in the building, and also locked the door so I didn't get any visitors. There is the Omnicron running rampant after all.

Wednesday night I started having more symptoms, so went for a test along with the wife Thursday morning. The lineups are very long these days, so we got there early. Then we had to isolate, although my life is pretty much that way anyway. We did have family over for Christmas on Monday though. That was acceptable because we were both double vaccinated, and had no symptoms.

Tests came back today. Wife is negative. I am positive. It basically is like the dreaded man-cold. If I could ditch the sore throat I wouldn't mind it nearly so much. The extended family are showing no symptoms either, which should materialize by now or in the next few days.

Took a walk out to the shed yesterday in the -33 weather. While the nice thick air felt good, the numbness of the extremities did not. Luckily it was just for 10 minutes. Got to try out my new Manitobah Mukluks. Comfortable and warm, even if I didn't bother putting socks on.

They say everyone will catch this one. Here is is hoping you all have less symptoms than me, and get over it in a few days, or not even know you caught it at all.

Happy New years to all and stay safe, but keep on living.

Last edited by rob love; 02-01-22 at 06:21.
Old 02-01-22, 00:26

Hang in there Rob . You have another trip to Mexico coming up in a couple of weeks .
94 LSVW
Old 02-01-22, 00:42
carrier mech

Yep, and I won't have to pay for a PCR test to return if I was freshly off a case of Covid It has pissed off the wife as the test costs $130 Cdn. I told her I would trade if I could.

Temp jumped up from normal to 100.8, and now I have chills. Don't care about that stuff, I need this sore throat gone. I coud stand to lose another 20 pounds if it could be done safely. Then another 20 after that.
Old 02-01-22, 02:23

Default Get well soon, Rob!

Sorry to hear you are unwell, Rob. Get well soon!

To all the vaxxed, boosted and unvaxxed alike, please, please seriously consider reading Robert Kennedy's book 'The Real Anthony Fauci', ISBN 978 1 5107 6680 8 for the hard copy, ISBN 978-1-5107-6681-5 for the e-book. Agree with him or not, this is one of the most comprehensively researched and referenced books I've ever read.

Mike
Old 02-01-22, 04:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Cecil View Post
Sorry to hear you are unwell, Rob. Get well soon!

To all the vaxxed, boosted and unvaxxed alike, please, please seriously consider reading Robert Kennedy's book 'The Real Anthony Fauci', ISBN 978 1 5107 6680 8 for the hard copy, ISBN 978-1-5107-6681-5 for the e-book. Agree with him or not, this is one of the most comprehensively researched and referenced books I've ever read.

Mike
recommended to me already so it's in the mail already.
Old 02-01-22, 05:10

Default Don't care much about who says what about who.......

With the web we are bombarded by misinformation..... beleive what you want...

Sorry to hear you got the bug Rob....let us know how long you are in the dump!!!

Wife and I had our 3 shots plus the senior flu shots....so far so good......my only visitor is Grant....... and the occasional grocery runs in Rockland...... we restocked the pantry with non perishable goodies, freezer is full and lots of firewood on hand..... so is the wine cellar!!!

So far Winter in Ottawa has been late in starting, mild with little snow but more to come.

Fly low, stay below the radar and don't visit Quebec.........

Shitty way to start the New Year but hoping it will end better.........

Spending quality time in the barn with Grant cleaning up the shelves from old junk to make room for new stuff......

Cheers
Canada
Old 02-01-22, 06:27
carrier mech

Found an old expired bottle of Buckleys tonight. Wife demanded I have two spoon-fulls....she wasn't watching so I had 3/4 of a spoon. That stuff tastes like sh*t but I feel like a new man. I am actually able to talk with a slight volume, and might even be able to sleep tonight.
Old 02-01-22, 09:29
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Happy New Year, Rob!
Attached Thumbnails
Happy new year.jpg  
Old 02-01-22, 22:56
Bluebell

So Rob, Do you have Omicron? If so you are developing immunity to the Delta variant. It could be a good thing? I watch a British Doctor Campbell on You Tube. He backs everything up with facts and tells us where the info comes from. He is pretty optimistic about Omicron's "benefits". Get well friend, who I may never meet.

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....
Old 03-01-22, 00:53
carrier mech

Thanks Lynn. I too believe the omicron might be the ticket out of covid. All the natural immunity without the serious complications and death. It does not behoove a virus to kill it's host, as it too will die off. That said, there could end up being another variation that is not as forgiving as omicron. I don't recall my greek alphabet anymore, but my guess is the next one will be pi cron?

Once Omicron was at 75% of the Manitoba cases, they quit testing for it, so I will never know which I had. However, what I have kind of matched the omicron in that it attacked the bronchial tube and trachea as opposed to nesting away in the lungs and wreaking havoc there. Aside from all the usual symptoms, it was the sore throat that pissed me off the most. And today it got a lot better...I could swallow my saliva, ate some supper, and actually had a few sips of coke.
I went outside and got the tractor going as the wife needed to move some firewood to the house. We have a lot of snow on the ground that I have not dealt with since my holiday. Maybe was out for 30 minutes total and that was more than enough.

My time will come, but it won't be this.