Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > The Wireless Forum

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-02-17, 14:04
[user name reset]

Default No 19 Help

Hi

I am putting the 19 gear into my Stuart. M3A1

The set up is a JB No 2 on the fwd face of the stbd sponson in front of the 19 set for Bow gunner.

A JB No 1 above the driver ( I take it the No 1 has only a single headset lead. )

And a JB No 3 in the Turret for gunner and loader .

Does any one have clues where I might get a couple of No 1 JBs ( two tanks to fit.

I have the photographed JB which I cant identify . It has seven outlets and a single button .

I am also puzzled by the antenna set up . I have two antenna base brackets. One on the stbd fwd rear deck just behind the battery box and another on the top of the curved rear armour on the tank centre-line.

Photographs and logic tell me the on on the rear curved armour is the long HF antenna as it is outside the circle of the main gun and the one on the stbd side is the VHF set s the antenna is short enough to pass under the main gun

well that"s my theory anyway. I have few good photos to go on

Now the book suggests the vhf antenna has an aerial base No 9 a mounting base 1 and a rod G . The HF Aerial base 8 and rod F .
I have plenty of the 8 bases and rod Fs....

Curiously the brackets on the Tank , and they are certainly original are both drilled for Aerial base 8

My question ...was the no 8 base used for both VHF and HF sets??

I have also come across a few examples of turrets ( flat top so Hybrid or M3A1 ) with a mounting bracket for a No 8 base welded near the commanders pistol port.

I don't understand how an aerial on the side of the turret would work given there is no room for a wireless set in the turret .. ( commander and loader would have to be on very good terms) and running a lead up from a set in the fighting compartment would restrict traverse and be a real mess with all the other gear in the turret.

maybe just for a walki talkie??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3846B.jpg (141.1 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3847b.jpg (137.6 KB, 2 views)