MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > Post-war Military Vehicles

Notices

Old 31-05-10, 22:50

well today i got some olive paint on and i got the shock hardwar ready for paint, mixed up a batch of paint and i ran out before everything was painted ....arg .... ill have to mix an other batch tomorow and get the rest of the stuff painted , after that everything will be primed or black until i paint the whole truck darn it!!!

wel here are the picture of the day,enjoy!

shock bracket have to be sanded and sandblasted

after about 6 or 7 hour of labor those shock hardware are ready for paint!

bumper and bud rim lock painted!

rear shaft are etched

painted the rear bumper and shock but ran out of paint and will have to finish tomorow or later

spare rim painted and bottom of the knuckle

tryed getting a tire on and i quitted , they will be going to the tire shop tomorow!look at the gap betwen the rim and the lock!
Old 02-06-10, 02:01

well today was a rainny day i got the tire to the tire shop and was able to get two mounted , the paint took a beating on the rims but hey what can ya do? we also had a cool find , we found two casing of 5.56 mm bullet in one of the tire! i also got the two tire that where installed grooved .

anyhow here are the pics of the day! enjoy!

tires installed

grooved!

and the bullets!

Old 10-06-10, 22:39

well today and in the last few day not much was done, i was busy with some other stuff to do and sick kids... but i did manage to get some hardware painted and the rear bumperette painted and installed and some other stuff ready...lol

anyhow here are some more picture, enjoy!

rear bumperette and tow point installed

side view, the two rear one are loose until i get the ligths bracket on

hardware painted and brake pads painted i should be able to close up the rear axle and call it done soon!
Old 12-06-10, 22:58

well yesterday i got a little work done with the help of my oldest son ! we mainly got the drum turned, and got the brake back toghether on one side, then i started on brake line and i had to quit for the day since it was time to bring the kids up to their mothers fo the week end

here are yesterday's pics! enjoy!

my little helper!

one side of the brakes togheter!

the brake line i started bending!

and te drum that was turned
Old 12-06-10, 23:11

and for today's new's! the rear axle is full of oil and 99% done, just missing the 3 clip that hold the steel brake line in place! now i will be able to start on the front axle!

anyway here are todays picture's!

both wheel on! and all the brake setted and done!

rear view!

nice brake line!

got a new brake hose from the rear since i could not find one long enuf in the new old stock i had bougth

welded the shim in the back of the crown ,i dont know it real nae just that it holds the back of the crown where the pinion mesh with it inside

and this is how i left everything at the end of this day!

i am really happy with the progress so far!
Old 14-06-10, 22:54

well today i got just a little done , i spended some time i the flowers and putting ligth up outside to keep my girlfriend happy...lol , so i got one top shock mount sanded and etched, and i got the bolts for the shock mount ready to paint, and i started fidling with one of the front leaf pack

anyway here are the pics of the day, enjoy!

rear shock mount at the frame etched

bolts for rear shock mount clean and ready to paint

the front leaf pack i started fidling with

Old 16-06-10, 23:11

well today i started by sanding the remaining leaf ad etching them, then i went on painting the part that where preped yesterday, after that i instaled and assembled said parts , i could not get the leaf back on the frame as i picked up the wrong bushing ,ill have to go down and get the rigth one this week end, then i attacked the mangled and bent rear ligth bracket, tha driver side had to be straigtened and a few crak needed fixing but the passenger side was a mess o welding and bubble gum, so out come the grinder and the torch then the welder and a few hour later i have a bracket that looked like new, i love metal work, i find it relaxing!

anyhow enuf blogging, here are the pics of the day, enjoy!

an other bunch of parts painted and ready to be assembled!

got the shock bracket on with new bushing

the bushing where new old stock i got for 2 buck each, they where i very good shape not bad 8 buck a shock for all new rubber!

got the passenger side front leaf pack back togheter

the worn bushing and the wrong one i picked up that prevented me from getting my leaf hanged

the passenger side ligth bracket in peaces!

the back welded

the front welded and clean up some

all sanded and ready for etching!

my ligth bracket all etched!

still slow but sure!
Old 17-06-10, 22:56

well today was a productive day! i got my tire back from the tire shop, they carged me 28 buck a tube! ouf i needed 3,then i got the shackle off the remaining front leaf, i had to fix the stop on the retaining shackle, then i got the driver side front leaf pack appart, it was all crooked ,probably got a good hit on that side in time, got all the leaf cleaned and etched and back togheter with a new center pin, i painted everything i had clean and preped, plus i had the time to start cleaning the bolt for the bumpstop in the front and cleaning the rubber on the bumpstop.

anyhow here are the pics of the day, enjoy!

tires are back from the tire shop!

stop all mangled on the shackle

all fixed!

more stuff etched and ready to paint!

and painted!

rear ligth bracket in place!

front driver side leaf pack back togheter

bumpstop bolt cleaned and ready for paint!

and i got a hose on the breater of the rear end, not orriginal but it will beat changing the oil every time i hit water with it

still slow but sure!
Old 19-06-10, 00:39

well today i got some ore stuff preped and etched, like the front bump stop, the front u bolt and hardware, the case for the differential even had some moss growing on it before i started et it!

just a few daily pics , enjoy!

the morning production!

the gear case before and after, the green stuff on the before picture is moss!
before

after!

and the final production of the day resumed to this! almost enuf stuff to get the gun and the black paint out!

slow but sure from beresford!
Old 19-06-10, 22:29
Michael P.

love the updates.
would love to see that progress on my cj2a
Old 21-06-10, 22:27

roadtrip day! today me and my girlfriend went to get some parts at mr.mazerolle, came back with new bushing for my front leaf and some brake shoe and a hand brake linning! so all my brake will be new

here are the pics of the day, enjoy!

his parts truck and vehicule he has there, the tractor trailer container in the background also have nos part in there

new bushing

new brakes

hand brake lining

paul
Old 22-06-10, 00:09
MUTT Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauljboudreau View Post
i love metal work, i find it relaxing
This is what I wish my wife could understand.
Old 23-06-10, 01:44

mine did not understand either so i got rid of her, let say i did lke you do with a car...i replaced her with a younger model more suited to my need...lol, it was expensive but well worth the trouble!

well today was a hot day! i satrted by puting the bushing in the leafs and installing the leaf on the frame, then i cleaned up some parts and painted the stuff in the tent, then my girlfriend uncle ask me to weld him up a set of ramp for his 4 wheeler so i did, after that my sun was giving a show at school so i went, then i got the painted part in place and hung the front diff in place, i was unlucky and the jack sliped, but no one got hurt and there is just a few scratch on the housing ill fix it when its done,lol, then i got the shock back in place , then i took picture....lol

here are the pics of the day, enjoy!

leaf back in place!

more painted stuff

stuff that's degreased

the ramps i made for the uncle!

front axle hanged in place!

and at the end of the day almost all the painted part are back in place!
Old 23-06-10, 07:11
Dave Good

Looking good, Keep the pictures coming
Old 23-06-10, 23:31

well today i got the hub's cleaned and prepped, and the drive flanges, then i got the brakes appart and got the backing plate cleaned and sanded and blasted , gee i hate sand blasting! then i etched everything, after that i made sure that i had all the hardware for the front axle, and i started cleaning it, after a few i was tired from my day so i just quit for the day,lol....got to love being your own boss!

anyhow, here are the pics of the day enjoy!

hub's and drive flanges

brakes backing plates

hardware removed from axle

dirty front axle hardware

and the little i cleaned before my back called the day!

slow but sure!
Old 27-06-10, 15:58

this is yesterday's work, not much to show, i had all the hardware in a bowl full of gun wash, and i cleaned everything with the brush on the bench grinder, enuf bolt, nut and washer to kill the wire brush , lol now ill have to get a new brush thicker this time lol

here are the pics off the day, enjoy!

one clean pile of hardware...lol

equal one worn out bristle brush!
Old 28-06-10, 23:08

today was a more hardware day! i got the tread all chased and cleaned up on the front hardware and then everything got painted, the front hardware now has about 8 ad a half hour of work in it!

anyhow here are the pictures of the day, enjoy!

hardware ready to paint

and hardware painted!

slow but sure in beresford!
Old 30-06-10, 00:35

well today was a rainy day, so i cleaned up some in the shed and started to get the differential peices cleaned and prep , as of yet i dont have all the parts i need since some bearing are in rough shape and some of the spacer where ruff too, but i did get a lot of stuff clean and it is getting there slowly but surely, unfortunatly i will have to fiddle around with my ton truck since my slave cinlinder seem to bet on it way out, so i will have to fi my daily driver before i get more progress on the m-truck...lol, otherwise i am stuck driving her car!....not an option...lol

anyhow here are the pictures of the day, enjoy!

races in rough shape, note how pitted they are

some clean diferential parts!

and the search for good part begins

and one spare set of gear, should i oil them and wath should i wrap them in to preserve them?

paul in beresford
Old 30-06-10, 01:32
Bluebell

Default Paul

Do you have CRC products there? They have in a green can "Soft Seal" It will work very well for many years. You have to use a solvent to get it off.
Enjoying your thread. Cheers, Lynn.

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....
Old 01-07-10, 01:39

wel today is a day that look's like i did almost nothing but i got the gears back in the carrier! tomorow a lots of parts are going to find their place again! out of 5 differential i only had 3 good set of gear! the last one i took appart this morning look good until the pinion came out some big piece of metal broke a few teeths off it...

any how here are the pics of the day, enjoy!

brake line atached to the rear axle

the ring and pinion set with the broken teeths , any goo for a spare?

gear patern ok

and the final product of the day...lol and my not so clean baby barn!

still darn slow
Old 02-07-10, 02:35

well today i took a drive with my girl friend and at some antque store i found a stash of old plates, all brand new from all sorts of place and from all over there was even one that had a number and under the number it was written TANK ! then i came back home and i got some parts back togheter and some new brake line on the fron diff and new wheel cylinder. the cylinder and brake hose where nos i got from mr mazerolle in inkerman.

anyway, here are the pictures of the day, enjoy!

the new old plate i found

and the work of the day!

a little faster from beresford!
Old 03-07-10, 02:49

well today was a slow day, my back was killing me so i didn't do much, i got the drum and the hub at the garage to get them turned, took me about 1 hour and a half to get the race in the hub lol, couldn't find a confortable way of working...lol... then i got the brake stud back in the plate and i prepped the new front brake pad for paint, i cleaned a few wheel bearing and the harware, i had to file the punch marks on the bearing nut since some clown did not use the proper socket to remove them at some point in the last 45 year, and i got the hardware and the bumper plate togheter and started cleaning some tread on the hardware

anyhow here are the pics of the day, enjoy!

brake pads ready for paint

brake stud back in the plate

wheel bearing clean

front bumper hardware ready to be restored

paul in beresford
Old 24-07-10, 04:41

heehe today i was back at it for a few hour and it is now an official rolling chassis!

happy day!

Old 26-07-10, 20:19
Allan

You're doing a great job on the truck Paul. My son and I just bought a 1951 and a 53. We live in Nova Scotia. The 1953 we are hoping to restore over the next two years. It still runs and drives, but is in desperate need of a body off restoration like you're doing. Here's the 53 we are planning to restore.

Thanks for the great photos you've posted.
Al
Old 27-07-10, 01:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldidig View Post
You're doing a great job on the truck Paul. My son and I just bought a 1951 and a 53. We live in Nova Scotia. The 1953 we are hoping to restore over the next two years. It still runs and drives, but is in desperate need of a body off restoration like you're doing. Here's the 53 we are planning to restore.

Thanks for the great photos you've posted.
Al
nice! and you are close by! migth see you at a car show someday, i got lot of info if you need some!
Old 27-07-10, 01:45

today i cleaned the front bumper hardware, and fixed the bracket and then got them ready for paint and etched them, the only thing left to do on the front bumper bracket is sandblast the corner of the shackle mount and paint the assembly ,but this will need air and the compressor i ordered is not here yet....

any how here are some new picture for your eyes!

bumper hardware ready for paint

front shackle bracket that need sandblast

i really need the air compessor to show up!
Old 28-07-10, 03:46

yes ! gess wath finaly showed up today!

in the truck

and down in the basement waiting for the electrician

happy day
Old 28-07-10, 15:43
Allan

Thanks for the info offer Paul. I will stay in contact. I have to go look at another parts collection this weekend. Hopefully I'll find some good stuff!
That compressor is going to work well for you Paul. You'll have plenty of air now. I had one like it before I bought my bigger one I have in the garage now. It would keep up with my pressure fed sandblaster as long as I was using a 3/32" nozzle and "OO" sand. When I used a 1/8" nozzle and "0" sand it ran hard and I had to let it catch up sometimes once the 1/8" nozzle wore out a bit. Happy blasting!
Al
Old 29-07-10, 03:19

today the compresoor has been wired in, broken in and tested, it works AWSOME! all the front bumper hardware has been sandblasted and painted with air to spare! then i installed the front bumper.

anyhow here are the pics of the day! enjoy!

painted hardware

and the instaled product

Old 29-07-10, 04:36
Michael P.

coming along nicely