MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > Post-war Military Vehicles

Notices

Old 04-08-07, 16:07
carrier mech

Default M-series Canadian Cam paint.

After years of being able to use "army surplus" paint, the time has come to find commercial equivelants. The cam pattern from the 70s through to the 90s was made up of a 3 colour paint scheme. The colours were:

Colour....................cdn spec#
Flat black................512-301
flat green................503-319
olive drab................503-321

Now I have no problem finding the flat black, but what are the commercial/US equivelants of the other two colours? When the CF changed it's paint to the CARC in the 90s, the olive drab was deleted since it was not a NATO colour and light Brown was used instead.
I have used some of the Gillespie coatings available from the US, and was wondering what their equivelants to the Cdn colours are?
It would appear to me that the 34052 would be a close match to the flat green, but what of the olive drab? Would gillespie 33070 be correct for this?

Some guys locally have used house paint with mixed results....mostly the paint is not as durable as the automotive stuff, so I am not interested in this avenue.

So what are you guys using to replicate the Canadian colours?

Last edited by rob love; 04-08-07 at 16:20.
Old 06-08-07, 16:41

Default camo paint

Hello Rob

I am working on getting these colours as i have been helping the Canadian War Museum with these. I have an original can of the pea green and the Flat Olive Draw. These are not the same as US colours. The War Museum has had these reproduced in addition with the original flat black. My contact is on holidays but he is to provide me with the numbers for making these by modern means. He also has my pea green can, on loan.

On a different note i heard at one point that you have the fuse instructions for the signals box on a M151a2. I was wondering if i would be able to get a copy of this as i do not have it in my M151 inventory and it would be nice to add a fuse to all of me jeeps.
Not sure if you have other M151 mods, but i am willing to trade those that you might be missing for the ones that i am.

Thanks

Eric Booth

cmpmagazine@hotmail.com
Old 06-08-07, 20:32
carrier mech

Eric
I have pulled, from the binder, the mod instruction for the fusing of the signal harness, and will send it for copying tommorrow.

As near as I can see the flat green has not changed much with the transformation to CARC. By what I have read on the internet since my initial posting, there is no direct colour crossover for the Cdn olive green.

Since there were 100 different ways guys mixed and applied these paints, from brush to spraying with gasoline, paint thinner, or whatever grade of reducer the guys happened to find, the colour will vary slightly between applications. Therefore I am not overly concerned with being 1000% accurate, although it would be nice if the canadian collector market was big enough to have these available to us.
Old 15-08-07, 00:02

Default camo paint

Hello Rob

I have a can of the original olive drab, and Pea green which have both been matched. I just have to get the modern numbers for these so that they can be made by anybody.

I also have a can of CDN Semi gloss green, which is different from the US semi gloss green.

I will post the numbers as soon as i get them.

Thanks

Eric
Old 15-08-07, 03:56
carrier mech

Eric
Loking forward to your results. I have a few gallons of the semi-gloss green as well....always liked that colour. I always thought it was the same as the origional M-series paint.

There is a website which refers to the Cdn equivelents.
http://www.hedgehoghollow.com/buzz/C.../army_clr.html

It gives 34082 as the closest match to the olive drab 503-321, and 34079 as a very close match for the flat green 503-319.

We have a paint store in Winnipeg which has the Cdn 1-GP-12c government color standards book ( I also have a copy of this), and can make up these paints very closely, but at over $200 a gallon. I am looking for something much more affordable.

BTW, I have the mutt CFTO photocopied for you re the fuse installation. PM me your address and I will mail it to you.
Old 29-08-07, 23:23

Default paint

Hello Rob

Received your post yesterday, thanks.

Still bugging my contact at the CWM. I am on days off next week so will drop by to retrieve my can and hopefully the other data.

Another person took my Semi Gloss can in and they wanted $160.00- $210.00 a gallon as well. Ouch

Will keep you posted once i get the paint codes.

Eric
Old 30-08-07, 04:47
carrier mech

I ordered in a variety of colours from RAPCO last wek and went to the Border today to pick them up. Works out to about $45 a gallon once all is said and done, so I can't complain there. Hopefuly the colours come close, or I can mix between some to get them right.