MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Carrier Forum

Notices

Old 30-07-08, 10:45

Default Lp2 Aust dash info/photos required

I am in the process of making a LP2 Aust dash from an original, and I have some questions so that I can continue.
Did early LP2 dash panels not have the guard that protected the toggle switches at the bottom of the panel? If so, were those panels stamped with the toggle switch function around the switch hole?
When did the dash panel change to have the guard in place (the most common panel seen in carriers now) date or hull number?
How is the gauge panel secured to the dash panel? what sort of bracket or clamp -photos of this appreciated.
I have attached a photo of what I am working with.

If anyone has info/photos please post in this thread so that others can use the info later.
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Jan 08 054 sml.jpg   Jan 08 057 sml.jpg  
Old 30-07-08, 13:11
RIP

Default Carries Dash Plates

Hi Darrin - the non-switch guard plate was in the early Carriers and yours, #1864 a 1941 Ford manufacture, would have this type of plate. Obviously there must have been a problem with the switches being damaged when the crew dismounted and by the time they manufactured the 2pdr Carriers, April -October 1942, the switch guard was in place. The non-guard plates had the switch function stamped into the plate. I've attached images of both types. The early one I restored in 2004 and that is adorning a Carrier in Victoria, whilst the 2pdr plate I restored this year and it is fitted to a 2pdr Carrier in NSW. This one was converted to 12v hence the additional wiring.

There is also an image of how the instrument cluster is fixed to the plate. The cluster is inserted through the rear with just the bezel protruding through to the front. You may also notice the difference in the speedometer face. My reaearch has indicated that all Carriers had the 60mph non-gear quadrant brown face. Some images I have seen appear to have the gear quadrants painted out at the time of manufacture of the Carrier.

You may have some difficulty obtaining the power outlet and ignition switch, but I have a couple of contacts who may be able to help in that department.

Coincidently, I just picked up another plate with the guard through Ebay and am looking forward to building it up for another Carrier.

Bob
Attached Images

Website owner - salesmanbob.com
Old 31-07-08, 13:15
Bluebell

Default Kiwi Dash

Don't know if its LP2 or LP2A, but heres some pics I took while visiting.
Attached Thumbnails
may_08_066.jpg   may_08_068.jpg   may_08_069.jpg   may_08_074.jpg   may_08_070.jpg  

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....
Old 31-07-08, 15:08

Default Carrier Instrument Panel Switch Guards

G’day Darrin and Bob,

I have observed a few things that will hopefully add to this discussion.

There seems to be three versions of the switch guard for LP2 and LP2A instrument panels.

The first is illustrated as Part No. 1005 in “List of Spare Parts for the Carrier, M.G. (Aust.)” on page 16. It is called “Guard Assy Panel Switch Bolted Type”. It is interesting in that it is designed to bolt onto the instrument panel using the two lower panel mounting bolts. It has a hole in the right side which allows the use of the inspection lamp socket. This type is also mentioned, with the same part number, on page 90 of “Carrier M.G. (Aust) Spare Parts Catalogue and Identification List (Revised)”. It states “A bolted type of guard for carriers that were issued without guard”. This type would have been used for the early panels that had no integral switch guard. I have never seen one of these guards, or even pictures of carriers with them.

The second type is one I have seen but does not appear in either of the spares lists. This consists of a piece of 3/8 or 5/16 steel rod, threaded at either end, and bolted through two holes drilled through the panel at either side of the row of switches. It acts in exactly the same way as the flat steel guard we are more familiar with. I have a dash panel that has these holes, but alas no guard fitted to it.
These first and second types were used on dash panels that had the names of the switches stamped directly onto the panel itself.

We then come to the third type – the flat steel guard that is welded onto the instrument panel. There are two illustrations of this type of guard and panel in the List of Spare Parts:- Part No. 680 on page 15 and Part No. 1176 on page 19. On page 90 of the Spare Parts Catalogue it is mentioned as “29-1 GUARD-switch” as part of the instrument panel sub-assembly. These dash panels have the names of the switches stamped into the face of the guard.

So, that is what I have been able to deduce from the books and a whole lot of observations. I would be interested in any other input.

Incidentally Bob, that panel that you just won on ebay is intriguing as it has the names of the switches stamped on both the panel face and the guard face. It would seem to be an early panel with a late guard. Congratulations on this purchase – I was logging in to buy it myself and you pipped me by about 10 seconds – well done!! I was hoping it went to someone who would put it to good use.

Jared
Old 04-08-08, 11:29
RIP

Default Panel Clamp

Hi Darrin - as requested, information on the clamp.

Hi Jared - sorry about that. Bit of a fluke actually. Was listed as an auction item and then changed to a Buy It Now. As soon as I saw that I hit the Buy button although I must admit the finger was poised for about ten seconds. I agree with you that this one is an early plate with a retrofit switch guard. Anyway once I restore it a buyer won't really mind. I've attached images of it.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Panel Clamp.jpg  
Attached Images

Website owner - salesmanbob.com