MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 24-12-18, 05:38

Default New Movie...Not To Be Missed.

Gentlemen: I was given the "heads up" on a new movie just out for trial release. It's only been shown at selected theatres around the world. The next date is December 27th. The movie/documentary has been directed by the internationally acclaimed New Zealand Director Peter Jackson. This group have taken miles and miles of WW1 Film Footage and reinvented the wheel! They have transformed these films into colourised and modern day speeds that will leave you spell bound. You can google it and see for yourself. Hanno....maybe you can post some links to it.
Enjoy and I await your comments......Robert
Old 24-12-18, 05:40

Default Oooops!!!!

Jeezus....got so wrapped up I forgot to mention the name. The film is called " They Shall Not Grow Old". Sorry about that.....Robert
Old 24-12-18, 06:37
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by r.morrison View Post
Gentlemen: I was given the "heads up" on a new movie just out for trial release. ...

The film is called " They Shall Not Grow Old".

...Robert
This was released for the 100th anniversary of Armistice Day 2018. Already been shown on several TV stations and cinemas in UK, AUS and NZ. Well worth seeing.
Old 24-12-18, 09:53

I just bought the DVD of it in the local supermarket for £10 and am looking forward to watching it.

1943 Bedford QLD lorry - 1941 BSA WM20 m/cycle - 1943 Daimler Scout Car Mk2
Member of MVT, IMPS, MVG of NSW, KVE and AMVCS
KVE President & KVE News Editor
Old 24-12-18, 13:16

Default They Shall Not Grow Old

I went with a lot of skepticism to see this documentary on the 17th in Ottawa. I am not a fan of colourization as I basically consider it a gimmick to draw people to see museum exhibits and buy the supporting book preaching how much research went into the process. So I was therefore prepared for the usual low grade documentary I have come to expect from seeing what the History Channel regurgitates every Remembrance Week.

I could not have been more mistaken. This documentary is an exceptional piece of restoration and melds the 1960 BBC interviews of FWW veterans with complimentary pieces of actual footage. The 3D and colourization is handled expertly and does not detract from the show.

Stay for Peter Jackson's commentary after the credits (many people had left) as he answered all of the questions I had about the project and I could see that this was a man with a passion for the subject and who also had both the skills and means to complete the project in the style and manner it deserved.

I am still not sold on colourization, but at least in this case I did not feel like I was being pandered to or had just wasted time I will never get back.

The next showing in Ottawa and across the country is on the 27th, go and see this documentary, it is two hours well spent. Now take all those horrendously bad and historically inaccurate 'Passchendaele' movies which were foolishly given to schools as a teaching aid and instead replace them all a copy of this documentary.
Old 24-12-18, 19:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Storey View Post
I went with a lot of skepticism to see this documentary on the 17th in Ottawa. I am not a fan of colourization as I basically consider it a gimmick to draw people to see museum exhibits and buy the supporting book preaching how much research went into the process. So I was therefore prepared for the usual low grade documentary I have come to expect from seeing what the History Channel regurgitates every Remembrance Week.

I could not have been more mistaken. This documentary is an exceptional piece of restoration and melds the 1960 BBC interviews of FWW veterans with complimentary pieces of actual footage. The 3D and colourization is handled expertly and does not detract from the show.

Stay for Peter Jackson's commentary after the credits (many people had left) as he answered all of the questions I had about the project and I could see that this was a man with a passion for the subject and who also had both the skills and means to complete the project in the style and manner it deserved.

I am still not sold on colourization, but at least in this case I did not feel like I was being pandered to or had just wasted time I will never get back.

The next showing in Ottawa and across the country is on the 27th, go and see this documentary, it is two hours well spent. Now take all those horrendously bad and historically inaccurate 'Passchendaele' movies which were foolishly given to schools as a teaching aid and instead replace them all a copy of this documentary.
Ed, can I quote this on facebook?
Old 24-12-18, 20:20

Default They Shall Not Grow Old Review

Sure, post away.
Old 24-12-18, 23:37
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Quote:
Stay for Peter Jackson's commentary after the credits as he answered all of the questions I had about the project and I could see that this was a man with a passion for the subject and who also had both the skills and means to complete the project in the style and manner it deserved.
I have previously highlighted Sir Peter's (as this is mainly a Commonwealth forum, we should recognise his proper title ) long held interest and respect for the subject and his work in the area of recognition and education for WW1 history and veteran's matters.

http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3679 (Note that that was written in 2005, and Sir Peter received his Knighthood in 2010, so I am not guilty of any disrepect.)

While his knighthood was for "services to the Arts", his work in WW1 History also attracted appreciative attention from those who make these sorts of recommendations for honours.

Where his commercial feature films attract worldwide commercial and critical success, he has also produced many short films and held workshops for more eclectic groups of Veterans, collectors and researchers. A truly worthy man of "Sir".

Last edited by Tony Smith; 24-12-18 at 23:57.
Old 25-12-18, 00:17

Well said Tony

Now you can have the day off, Merry Christmas

1943 Bedford QLD lorry - 1941 BSA WM20 m/cycle - 1943 Daimler Scout Car Mk2
Member of MVT, IMPS, MVG of NSW, KVE and AMVCS
KVE President & KVE News Editor
Old 25-12-18, 00:46
Terry Warner

Quote:

To hear First War Canadian voices and accents, go to the CBC Archives and listen to all five one-hour episodes of "The Bugle and the Passing Bell".

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/ideas/the-b...call-1.3122702

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!
Old 25-12-18, 22:41
Bluebell

I understand Sir Peter had old field guns of the era fired by the N.Z. Army, so that he could record the sounds from various locations, to help make a more truely accurate sound track.This was not the "tear jerker" that one might expect as Sir Peter was trying to portray more of the lives, views and experiences of the soldiers, than presenting another 'doco" on the war.

As a Kiwi, proud of Sir Peter's work, I was pleased to read Ed's valued and positive critique.
It has not been released here in N.Z. other than as per Sir Peter's directive that it only be shown on the afternoon of Armistice day, which is when I saw it.

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....
Old 02-01-19, 02:11

My wife Maggie and I visited the Te Papa, Gallipoli exhibition and were extremely impressed. Along with the Sir Peter Jackson documentary using rejuvenated, colorised film and interviews with survivors the New Zealanders have really done a wonderful job of honouring those who took part in the First World War.
Very well done.

David