MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 18-03-03, 04:29
Senior Forum Member

Default Canada in Afghanistan

Hi Guys;

Thought this link to a thread on Michael Dorosh's The 20th Century Commonwealth Soldier's Forum would be of interest to some, I hope Michael or Geoff don't mind that I've given directions to it here, it's well worth the read and very true from an Infantryman's point of view.

http://www.network54.com/Hide/Forum/...eid=1047954443

Cheers
Old 24-11-05, 22:32
Vets Dottir

My sadness, heart, and condolences goes out to the loved ones and Regiment (2nd Battalion, Royal Canadian Regiment) for the loss of Pte. Braun Scott Woodfield, 24, of Victoria.

November 24, 2005
Cdn soldier killed in accident
By STEPHEN THORNE

OTTAWA (CP) - A Canadian soldier was killed and four others injured Thursday when their armoured vehicle rolled over in southern Afghanistan.

No explosive devices nor enemy action were involved in the accident, which occurred during a routine patrol on the main highway 45 kilometres northeast of Kandahar, said Lt-Gen. Marc Dumais, deputy chief of the defence staff, . The dead soldier was identified as Pte. Braun Scott Woodfield, 24, of Victoria.

The injured soldiers were identified as: Sgt. Tony Nelson McIver, 31, of Fredericton; Cpl. James Edward McDonald, 32, of Pembroke, Ont.; Cpl. Shane Dean Jones, 30, of White Rock, B.C., and Pte. Paul Shavo, 24, of London, Ont.

All were members of the 2nd Battalion, Royal Canadian Regiment, which is based in Gagetown, N.B.

Members of Parliament stopped debate Wednesday afternoon and held a minute's silence for the dead soldier.

The accident involved a LAV-3 armoured personnel carrier.

The military said three of the soldiers suffered serious but not life-threatening injuries.

Two were flown by American helicopter to the main U.S. military base in Baghram, north of Kabul.

Woodfield is the eighth Canadian to die in Afghanistan since Canada first sent soldiers into the southwest Asian country in 2002.

Four died by friendly fire, two by anti-tank mines and one at the hand of a suicide bomber.

The Canadians have been running convoys on the same highway between Kabul and Kandahar in recent weeks as they move headquarters to the country's volatile southern region from the capital.

Earlier this month, a Canadian soldier was sent home with a broken leg after a collision between two military vehicles in Kabul.

Four others were treated for cuts and bruises and released.

In September, two Canadian soldiers suffered minor injuries when a roadside bomb exploded next to their armoured patrol in Kabul.

Also in September, Pte. Patrick Dessureault, 24, of Alma, Que., died on an exercise when soft earth gave way near a river in Wainwright, Alta., sending his light armoured vehicle rolling into the water. The crash broke his neck.

Dessureault was on night manoeuvres with the 2nd Battalion, Royal 22nd Regiment at the time. Two other members of the Valcartier, Que.-based regiment, known as the Vandoos, were injured.
Old 28-11-05, 03:24
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Unhappy Sad

Pte Woodfield was killed after his LAV III rolled avoiding a head-on with a car driving without its headlights on. He apparently was chucked out the top in the sudden manoevre; unfortunately, the LAV series is known to be top-heavy, hence the inevitable result. It has happened before.

Pte Woodfield served with honour, and we recognize him accordingly. May his family find peace in his dedication to the principles of our society.

REQUISCAT IN PACE.
Old 28-11-05, 03:52
M38A1 CDN3

Default LAV III

The tipping propensity of the LAV III, during violent manoeuvres, is further exacerbated by the add on armour which raises the C of G above that which is advised by the manufacturer to be prudent.

A member of this Forum, who works in that field, might wish to discuss further....perhaps, in deference, in PMs.
Old 01-12-05, 14:02

Default Meanwhile....

Quote:
GENERAL DYNAMICS AWARDED $60 MILLION CONTRACT TO SUPPLY RG-31 MINE PROTECTED VEHICLES TO THE CANADIAN MILITARY –

The Government of Canada has awarded a CAD $60.3 (US $51.3 million) contract to General Dynamics Land Systems – Canada to provide 50 RG-31 Mine Protected Vehicles with an option for 25 additional vehicles. General Dynamics Land Systems, the Canadian company’s parent corporation, is a business unit of General Dynamics.

Under this contract, General Dynamics Land Systems – Canada will provide program management and engineering and logistics support while BAE Land Systems OMC of South Africa will manufacture the vehicles. The vehicles will incorporate a Kongsberg Protector M151 Remote Weapon Station, equipped with a day and night sighting system, which allows the operator to fire the weapon while remaining protected within the vehicle.

Deliveries will occur from February to April 2006.

The RG-31 tactical vehicle offers excellent ballistic and mine blast protection, and will be used by the Canadian Forces in their upcoming operations in Afghanistan. (Source: PRNewswire)
It sounds like we're reorienting ourselves to the realities of Peacemaking rather than the old fallacy of Peacekeeping. Bloody high-time, as I see it; bless our soldiers who are sent into harm's way.
Old 02-12-05, 02:03

Default Afghanistan.

There is NOTHING in that shithole country worth ONE Canadian life!
Old 02-12-05, 03:10

Default Re: Afghanistan.

Quote:
Originally posted by peter simundson
Nothing but our principles as human beings, Peter. You know the soldiers as well as I do ... and the ones I know who are over there NOW, will agree with you in principle, but will do their jobs better than any other could. Damn, they make us proud.

I am now, as always, on the side of the man on the pointy end of the stick, politics be damned.
Old 02-12-05, 03:19

Default Re: Meanwhile....

Quote:
Originally posted by Geoff Winnington-Ball
It sounds like we're reorienting ourselves to the realities of Peacemaking rather than the old fallacy of Peacekeeping. Bloody high-time, as I see it; bless our soldiers who are sent into harm's way.
The Canadians were already using a small number of these vehicles in Afghanistan.

http://www.mapleleafup.org/forums/sh...&threadid=5041
Old 02-12-05, 03:19
3RD ECHELON WKSP

Peter, I too feel the same way re Canadian lives.
Just like a lot of other things, I think it is about time that we as Canadians throw out the PC bullshit and the helping hands that are seemingly endless and let these people duke it out for themselves.
I say let them kill each other, same as in Iraq, Somalia, Sudan, Leabanon, Israel etc etc etc. Enough is enough of spending billions of dolars in taxpayers money and putting lives on the line for some ingrates who don't give a rats ass for nothing only to take these same people as "immigrants" who totally disrespect our culture and heritage and impinge on OUR beliefs, morals and freedoms.
Leave them to the own demise and let them blast one another all to hell.
Many of these cultures have only ever known an existance of violence, either giving, receiving or threatened by it.
Trying to civilize these cultures to a Western idiology is a setup for disaster as there are too many differences including political, cultural, religious and ethnic types. Imposing our way of thinking will never work so we might as well pack up and go home as it is not worthwhile. For being a Superpower, I would have though that the Americans would have figured this out already although in their mind there is a little American inside every foreigner just waiting to break out...yeah, right.
As far as I'm concerned, usually it takes the people to make things the way they want them. Don't like the government? Throw them out. Can't throw them out because they're a dictatorship? Have a civil waror a coup. You guys want it, fight for it. Why should we waste our people and our budget for your beliefs?
I truly believe that a culture brought up in the shadow of violence is one doomed to be ruled by it as it seems that the only way to keep the people in line is by use of it.
An example to illustrate my point.
It is known fact that the different cultural groups in the Balkans have hated each other for many, many years, with a history longer and bloodier than we can fathom. During the Second World War the German Army had something in the neighbourhood of 9 divisions in Yugoslavia and still couldn't take control. For the most part they allowed the Serbs and Croatians to fight each other and when all was over they kicked the winner's ass. Easier to take on one side than two. Along come the Russians at the end of the war and establish a cool relationship with Tito (the commie) who keeps everyone under control during the Cold W
ar years with his Soviet inspired doctrine of discipline. End result is that the ethnics stay quiet. The Cold War ends in 1989 with the collapse of the Berlin Wall and shortly thereafter most of the communist Soviet sattelite countries end up in civil wars as the reigning authorities are now powerless to control decades of ethnic hatred toward one another. Soviet Georgia, Uzbekistan, Afganistan etc.
Time and time again, the Western world comes to the aid of the underdog only to get a swift kick in the nuts.

1968 M274A5 Mule Baifield USMC
1966 M274A2 Mule BMY USMC
1958 M274 Mule Willys US Army
1970 M38A1 CDN3 70-08715 1 CSR
1981 MANAC 3/4T CDN trailer
1943 Converto Airborne Trailer
1983 M1009 CUCV

RT-524, PRC-77s,
and trucks and stuff and more stuff and and.......

OMVA, MVPA, G503, Steel Soldiers

Last edited by chris vickery; 02-12-05 at 03:43.
Old 02-12-05, 03:45

Tsk-tsk, Chris. Let me make several points here, if you would.

First-off is that our young men find themselves in Harm's Way because of the politicans, but NONE I've known have said that their experience was anything but worthwhile. Horrid, yes.

Simply speaking, the mainstream media (heretoforafter known as the MSM) have ignored the MEN and concentrated on the POLITICS.

I say screw the politics and focus on the MEN.

Second, yes, the world is f*cked, and yes, most of those assholes can go to hell in a handcart for all I care. They spent most of their energy killing each other then, do so now, and will continue to do so in future. There's really damn-all we can do to change this, but... you know, I know, and our mil pers over there know, that we're the thin red line between Good and Evil. Can there be a greater calling? We have defineable values which HAVE been appreciated. The MSM won't ack that, but they can go to hell too.

THIRD. What's about bloody time is what's being discussed in our Elections thread. To be blunt, we're expending time, money and blood in these shitholes, but extending their refugees more rights and privileges than WE have. It's time to re-evaluate our priorities. Call a spade a spade. We owe the third world NOTHING... but our young men keep paying for that nothing. I don't think more than a handful of our fighting men would contest the contribution we're making over there, but it's high-time we extended the same considerations to our own citizens. We owe that to every man who's worn the khaki before.

If you can argue with any of this, we have some serious beer-drinking to do (we probably do anyway).

Quote:
Originally posted by chris vickery
Peter, I too feel the same way re Canadian lives.
Just like a lot of other things, I think it is about time that we as Canadians throw out the PC bullshit and the helping hands that are seemingly endless and let these people duke it out for themselves.
I say let them kill each other, same as in Iraq, Somalia, Sudan, Leabanon, Israel etc etc etc. Enough is enough of spending billions of dolars in taxpayers money and putting lives on the line for some ingrates who don't give a rats ass for nothing only to take these same people as "immigrants" who totally disrespect our culture and heritage and impinge on OUR beliefs, morals and freedoms.
Leave them to the own demise and let them blast one another all to hell.
Old 02-12-05, 03:56
3RD ECHELON WKSP

Geoff, I would never say that our guys are doing anything less than what they have been tasked to do. They do it better, with less, in less than ideal conditions only to be at the shitty end of the stick wielded by the politicians, PC crowd and the mass media.
You are quite correct as far as calling a spade a spade and as you suggested, it is high time for some changes to our political and social system.
Now as far as beer drinking goes, I'm sure we can sit down and save the world one pint at a time my friend...

1983 M1009 CUCV

RT-524, PRC-77s,

Old 02-12-05, 04:01

My son is currently serving in the Reserves with the RMR. He has put his name in and is hoping to get on a tour in Afghanistan. Of course my wife is not too happy with this. However, there is not much chance of him going in the near future because there are far more volunteers then there are openings for reservist on these tours. Ahhh to be young and foolish….

Last edited by John McGillivray; 02-12-05 at 04:07.
Old 02-12-05, 04:30

Quote:
Originally posted by John McGillivray
My son is currently serving in the Reserves with the RMR. He has put his name in and is hoping to get on a tour in Afghanistan. Of course my wife is not too happy with this. However, there is not much chance of him going in the near future because there are far more volunteers then there are openings for reservist on these tours. Ahhh to be young and foolish….
John, you obviously have brought up a fine young man. Mine is as yours... he's ex-QOR, gung-ho and good-to-go, but he's in a different life now, which commands all his time. Methinks mine would understand yours in a heartbeat. They are at the same time a parent's blessing and worst nightmare; but weren't we just that for our parents, and they for theirs? Such is the foundation of life.

I salute he and you.
Old 02-12-05, 04:55
M38A1 CDN3

Default Re: Afghanistan.

Quote:
Originally posted by peter simundson
Amen, Peter. Dead on!

I really wish that someone would explain to me, exactly, why in Hell our troops are in that god forsaken armpit of the world.

No colonial/imperial/invading troops since time started have been able to contain this area.

Gunga Din...play the Last Post and let that be a recall of our troops.
Old 02-12-05, 16:43
Derek Heuring

Default Re: Sad

Quote:
Pte Woodfield was killed after his LAV III rolled avoiding a head-on with a car driving without its headlights on.

Avoiding collisions with vehicles driving without headlights is an occupational hazard in Arab countries. They don't seem to comprehend that the alternator in their vehicle will recharge the battery when the engine is running, consequently they drive sans illumination until they are within approximately 50 yds of the approaching vehicle whereupon they suddenly turn on their headlights blinding the driver of the other vehicle whose eyes were accustomed to the dark! Screeching to a halt on a narrow, windy, poorly maintained road with no shoulders and minefields all around made for some exciting times! We had many such incidents until Cpl. Stephan Pader, an Austrian M.P. had his vehicle hosed down by two Syrians wielding AK 74's after stopping. Amazingly, Stephan received nary a scratch, even though there was a bullet hole through the top of the shoulder of his sweater! Subsequent to that attack we didn't stop when blinded by an approaching vehicle.....we put pedal to the metal and held on! Insh'Allah!
Once while driving in the south of Jordan on my way to Petra, with my headlights on in the middle of the day as per our s.o.p.'s, I was pulled over by a frantically waving Jordanian soldier who suddenly popped out of a little guard shack literally in the middle of nowhere. I had some qualms about pulling over, as I was unarmed and he had an AK. There was little to no traffic on this stretch of highway and I could have been taken hostage or worse with no witnesses or evidence of my fate. I slowly rolled down my window as he approached, trying to judge his intent, keeping my foot on the clutch and the transmission in gear...my right foot hovering over the accelerator just in case...he walked up to the open window, AK at the ready and in stilted english asked, "You have headlights on.......why?"
As my sphincter released the seat I explained in pidgin English and what little Arabic I had learned that it was orders to keep our headlights on. This satisfied him and he let me continue on my way.
My heart and prayers go out to Pvt. Woodfield's family...I can't begin to feel their loss. I hope they take some solace in that we honour his service and sacrifice.
Old 03-12-05, 06:17
M38A1 CDN3

Default Re: Re: Sad

Quote:
Originally posted by sapper740
Avoiding collisions with vehicles driving without headlights is an occupational hazard in Arab countries. They don't seem to comprehend that the alternator in their vehicle will recharge the battery when the engine is running, consequently they drive sans illumination until they are within approximately 50 yds of the approaching vehicle whereupon they suddenly turn on their headlights blinding the driver of the other vehicle whose eyes were accustomed to the dark! Screeching to a halt on a narrow, windy, poorly maintained road with no shoulders and minefields all around made for some exciting times! We had many such incidents until Cpl. Stephan Pader, an Austrian M.P. had his vehicle hosed down by two Syrians wielding AK 74's after stopping. Amazingly, Stephan received nary a scratch, even though there was a bullet hole through the top of the shoulder of his sweater! Subsequent to that attack we didn't stop when blinded by an approaching vehicle.....we put pedal to the metal and held on! Insh'Allah!
Once while driving in the south of Jordan on my way to Petra, with my headlights on in the middle of the day as per our s.o.p.'s, I was pulled over by a frantically waving Jordanian soldier who suddenly popped out of a little guard shack literally in the middle of nowhere. I had some qualms about pulling over, as I was unarmed and he had an AK. There was little to no traffic on this stretch of highway and I could have been taken hostage or worse with no witnesses or evidence of my fate. I slowly rolled down my window as he approached, trying to judge his intent, keeping my foot on the clutch and the transmission in gear...my right foot hovering over the accelerator just in case...he walked up to the open window, AK at the ready and in stilted english asked, "You have headlights on.......why?"
As my sphincter released the seat I explained in pidgin English and what little Arabic I had learned that it was orders to keep our headlights on. This satisfied him and he let me continue on my way.
My heart and prayers go out to Pvt. Woodfield's family...I can't begin to feel their loss. I hope they take some solace in that we honour his service and sacrifice.
Yeah, pucker factor indeed.

I spent two years in the Middle East...sometimes near Petra as well, mostly at Yanbu and Aden.

Guard posts in the middle of no where...and they don't speak or read English, nor understand the provisions of your oxra or iqama.

Scary...and these clowns typically are allowed into this country and demand the "rights" to which they f
eel that they are entitled.

See previous threads about similar (I think, justified) rants.

Boukhoura, In'Sh'Allah.
Old 08-12-05, 00:34

Default More Canadians hurt.

This is from the news today.

Three Canadian soldiers wounded in Afghanistan

CTV.ca News Staff

Three Canadian special forces soldiers have been wounded on operations in Afghanistan, the Defence Department reported on Wednesday.

The department says one Joint Task Force 2 soldier is being treated in hospital while the other two have been treated for their injuries and have returned to their unit. The department has not identified the soldiers.

"Normally the word 'wounded' is used when (the injuries are) as a result of hostile action," former soldier Scott Taylor, the editor-in-chief of Esprit de Corps magazine, told CTV Newsnet.

"In this case it could have been one of those improvised explosive devices, it could have been a roadside bomb, or it could, in fact, have been that they were involved in a fire-fight," he said.

It's unclear when the soldiers were wounded.

"The fact that we are getting told that two of the wounded personnel have been returned to duty would imply that it didn't just happen hours ago," Taylor said.

Meanwhile, the Defence Department remained tightlipped on any details involving the wounded soldier.

"For reasons of operational security and for the safety of those Canadian Special Operations Forces members and their families, no other information on this incident or on the special operations being conducted in Afghanistan will be released," the department says in its release.

Meanwhile, there is speculation the soldiers were taking part in operations in which 22 suspected militants were killed in two clashes with Afghan and U.S.-led coalition forces this week.

Last Sunday, a Canadian soldier suffered relatively minor injuries in Afghanistan after a coalition convoy was attacked as it passed through the former Taliban stronghold of Kandahar.

Ottawa is in the process of shifting its military presence from the capital Kabul to the more volatile southern region of Kandahar, which is considered the heartland of the Taliban.

By February 2006, about 2,000 Canadian soldiers will be based in Kandahar and a Canadian general will take command of a multi-national force to fight insurgents.

In total, some 20,000 coalition troops are fighting Taliban and al Qaeda-linked insurgents in southern and eastern Afghanistan.

The highly secretive JTF2 has been in Afghanistan almost continuously since early 2002.

"The overarching goal is to help the Afghan people achieve peace by preventing their nation from relapsing into a failed state that gives terrorist and terrorist organizations a safe haven," the Defence Department said.

"There are significant risks involved in these missions, but CF members are fully prepared because they are well equipped, well led, and among the best trained and most experienced soldiers in the world."

Increased violence has killed nearly 1,500 people this year alone -- the bloodiest death toll since U.S.-led forces ousted the Taliban from power in 2001.

Source
http://sympaticomsn.ctv.ca/servlet/A...anistan_051207
Old 08-12-05, 03:06
Dave Demorrow

for the people that think it would be great to just pull the troops out and let them duke it out. do you have a brain?

that WAS done after the soviets left afghanistan last time and we got 4 smoking holes in the ground here in the US. the simple fact is that if we let a situation get out of hand again then more and more will die. most people that stand up for islamic rights dont understand that if islamic law was inforced they would be the first marched out and shot. the simple fact is that if a country stands on the sidelines today and does not help change the islamic world today will be responsable for the deaths of not one or two soldiers but thousands or millions tomorrow. the job of the worlds militaries is to be used to help keep the countrys around the world stable. you can debate me as much as you want, but thats the future. if the smaller countries dont want to help in this effort then you need to follow new zealands lead and do things like get rid of the fighter / bomber aircraft, canada and get rid of all heavy armor, spain and be blackmailed into doing what the criminals want. we have to fight this war now while we can over there or we will be fighting it here. in your back yard.

is it a shame that we have lost some of are fighting men and woman, yes it is. but they were trained to do a mission, volinteered to go do it, and a vast majority reup to go and do it again. its time people started turning off CNN, CBC, BBC, RTL, and start talking to the troops who are there and learn that not only are we making a positive diffrence in that part of the world but they themselvs would and are saying that we need to stop fighting amongst ourselvs and get behind them.
42 6LB GUN
and the list keeps growing, and growing.... i need help LOL
Old 08-12-05, 03:50

This is from CNN.

Thirteen enemy fighters were killed on Sunday as Afghan and coalition forces launched an attack against an enemy cell in a small village north of Kandahar in southern Afghanistan. A military statement said the group was responsible for a number of improvised explosive device attacks.

Wounded in the fighting were three Afghan, three U.S. and two other coalition soldiers. One of the coalition soldiers was seriously wounded and was evacuated to Germany for treatment.

DND News release;
http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/lf/Engl...abled=1&ID=215
Old 12-12-05, 00:13

that WAS done after the soviets left afghanistan last time and we got 4 smoking holes in the ground here in the US. the simple fact is that if we let a situation get out of hand again then more and more will die. most people that stand up for islamic rights dont understand that if islamic law was inforced they would be the first marched out and shot. the simple fact is that if a country stands on the sidelines today and does not help change the islamic world today will be responsable for the deaths of not one or two soldiers but thousands or millions tomorrow. the job of the worlds militaries is to be used to help keep the countrys around

----------end quote------------------

Of course, a lot of the Islamic terrorists that are interested in hitting back at the "Great Satan" only do so because they say the Americans meddle in business that is not their own. Often the Americans going into Saudi Arabia to invade/Free Kuwait is cited as one of the main reasons. They feel the Americans should have let Arabs handle Arab business. Look at the number of direct attacks on American interests that have escalated since the involvement in Iraq I.

I don't mean to start a pissing match, point the blame etc, but I personally believe a lot of the "terrorist" issues we have nowadays are largely due to countries (not just the U.S.) poking their noses into business that isn't theirs. We all scream when then gov't wants to take away our guns, etc....because it's "better" for us they say, so how is it any different when countries want to "help" other countries because it is "better" for them.

I fully support the soldiers of any Western country, as they are forced to do a very difficult job with ever-diminishing support from the public. What I do not support is Government mandates that want to send troops to far off countries to fight wars that are going to solve nothing. Say what you want, but if you don't meddle in other people's business they aren't going to tell you to "F" off (usually with violence) because of it.

Just my two cents...

Tim
Old 12-12-05, 01:02
Dave Demorrow

ow boy a debate!!!!

tim you are 100% wrong, but i respect your point of view. if the US was not in the region then it would be against the UK, the USSR (yes i know its russia) , turky, the EU, and always isreal.

the idea that if we all (the west) would leave everything would be great is just silly. the radical islam view is that it is there mandate and there duty to distroy, bomb, and kill ALL non beleavers. this thing in iraq is just a side show. the real war is comming down the road.

if you would go and make true friends with any true person that follows islam you would be shaken to the bone at there view of the future. a world that is just one big islamic state. women as property, the church owns everything, no non islamic music, no beer, public killings, homos all killed, anyone with a "stine" in there name murdured, and women having there private parts cut out.

this is there version of heaven.

now you can say that if the US (and everyone else) was not in the middle east things would be great. well the day the west leavs the mid east is the day the oil stops flowing ($20.00 a gal oil anyone?), the suez cannal shuts down (everything 10-50% higher in cost), 8-9 million jews will be killed before the first sunset, turky would have armored and infantry divisions massing at its southern border requireing NATO to deploy its AMF units (the AMF units would be compleatly distroyed 30-40,000 dead german, italian, dutch, polish, and british troops), packastan and india going to war, etc....

so here are options, stay or pull out.
there is no gray area, there are no half messures.
i am not for war, but if you really study the the koran and the islamic extreamest nuts (not all islamic people are nuts) you will see that there is a plan and that people like you and i have no place in the world they want to make. our place would be in a unmarked grave with a 7.62 x 36 round in the back of the head.

it may be harsh but thats what we are facing, so as far as the brave troops on the front line my hat is off to them, and our best chance is to flood the mideast with western ideas, radios, TVs, satalite TV, and modern thoughts, and norms.

i may not agree with you bur i would defend your right to say what you want, in a fanatical islamic wourld you would be killed for desenting.

dave
42 6LB GUN
and the list keeps growing, and growing.... i need help LOL
Old 12-12-05, 13:52
Derek Heuring

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Sullivan

----------end quote------------------

Of course, a lot of the Islamic terrorists that are interested in hitting back at the "Great Satan" only do so because they say the Americans meddle in business that is not their own.
Tim
Unfortunately Tim, and please don't take this personally, your comments smack of appeasement and anybody who recalls the least bit of history knows the consequence of that. Events have shown that attempts at appeasement only embolden dictators, rogue nations, and religious zealots. Does America stick it's nose into the world's business? Absolutely. Do Americans wish they lived in a world where they didn't have to? The answer to that is a resounding yes again! But consider this: what state do you think the world would be in right now if the U.S. hadn't got involved in world events? You'd have the choice of speaking either German or Russian, depending upon your geographic location, There wouldn't be a single Jew left alive in Europe, Israel wouldn't exist, ethnic cleansing in the former Yugoslavia would be just about complete, Saddam Hussein would be enjoying his new palace in Kuwait City, Khadafy would be feted throughout the Arab world for his continuing exportation of terrorism. I could go on and on but Geoff's server lacks the memory capacity! Sure the U.S. has made mistakes of which we're all aware but those who dare sometimes do make mistakes.
I react in equal amounts of scorn and frustration when I hear Canadian politicians talk scornfully of America's military might when in the very next breath they wonder how they can continue to emasculate their own military forces. It's only because of America's military strength that Canada can maintain the Canadian Forces at such a pathetically low strength. I know whereof I speak! Many times my Unit had to hitch a ride on a National Guard Herc to get to our deployment, or to have to borrow vehicles and equipment from the Americans. You may not like all that the U.S. is doing in the world but consider the alternative! CHIMO!
Old 12-12-05, 16:28
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Default Four more this morning...

G wagon stands up but we need to get these guys more gooder equipment..

Afghanistan road side bomb incident
OTTAWA, Dec. 12 /CNW Telbec/ - Three Canadian soldiers and one foreign
journalist were injured after a road side bomb detonated close to their
vehicle near the town of Maywand, about 90 km west of Kandahar. The incident
occurred around 11:00 a.m. local (1:30 a.m. ET), on December 12. The soldiers'
next of kin have been notified.
A U.S. Army Blackhawk helicopter from Kandahar Airfield flew two of the
injured soldiers from the accident site to the American field hospital at
Kandahar Airfield for medical attention. A third soldier and the journalist
who both had received minor injuries in the incident were also treated at the
Kandahar field hospital. All four are in stable condition at this time. In
accordance with the Privacy Act, no names will be released.
The injured soldiers were patrolling in "G Wagon" (Gelaendenwagen)
vehicles. Immediately after the explosion, the soldiers established a security
cordon around their vehicles and the Provincial Reconstruction Team Quick
Reaction Force was dispatched to the scene of the blast. A detailed
investigation is being conducted to determine the circumstances of the
accident.
Canada's mission in Afghanistan is part of our contribution to the
international campaign against terrorism. The overarching goal is to help the
Afghan people achieve peace by preventing their nation from relapsing into a
failed state that gives terrorist and terrorist organizations a safe haven.
There are significant risks involved in these operations, but Canadian
Forces members are among the best trained, and most experienced soldiers in
the world. They are well led, well equipped, and fully prepared for the
mission in Afghanistan.
The PRT consists of about 250 soldiers, most of them from Land Force
Western Area, headquartered at Edmonton, Alberta. The PRT brings together
Canadian military personnel, civilian police, diplomats and aid workers in an
integrated effort to reinforce the authority of the Afghan government in and
around Kandahar and to help stabilize the region. To achieve its mission, the
PRT conducts security patrols, assists local reconstruction efforts, supports
local governance institutions, and facilitates reforms to the security sector.

NOTE TO EDITOR:

For more information on Canadian Forces operations, please visit:
http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/operati...rent_ops_e.asp

Video footage and still photos of CF activities in Afghanistan are
available at the following websites:

Video: http://www.combatcamera.forces.gc.ca...atcamera/news/

Stills: http://www.combatcamera.forces.gc.ca/

For further information: (613) 996-2353/54; After hours: (613) 792-2973;
http://www.forces.gc.ca

Try the video footage...
Old 14-12-05, 07:30

Default My 2 cents

Geeze
I think I'm going to add my 2 cents in this right about now.

1.Geoff sign me up for the serious beer drinking.

Many of you I agree with.The comments about the
Quran are very true,it is indeed written that way
Ive heard many people say we are nation builders
I must concur with that,But in same vein whats
they are doing they are trying to build an islamic
empire a world wide empire. America,and
to some extent Great Britian have had problems
in the middle east. But going belly up is just not going
to work.
As an ex-soldier I mourn the loss of any soldier
no matter if they fare from the US,Canada,or England.
Should we( meaning all of us) be there? With the way the
the mission is written no! Should we change the rules
so we can win YES! Actually this whole pissing match
smacks of Viet Nam
Now you people north of the border have a chance
to change thing with you elections coming. In one year
ours start and its our chance.Should we ( the US )
pitch the goverment out? its been thought of, many of
the western states have threatened,to leave the union.
Please dont anyone believe that we are happy with this
or the those who are ripping us off blind, and dont believe
that we think the same way that those people in Washington
do. We dont!
Patrick
Old 02-03-06, 11:26

This just came off the wire at 4:20EST...
Sounds like a vehicle accident....

Serious incident involving Canadian Forces Soldiers in Afghanistan
OTTAWA, March 2 /CNW Telbec/ - A serious incident has occurred involving Canadian Forces members in Kandahar. There are eight confirmed casualties with varying severity of injuries, at this time believed to be the result of a vehicle accident.
No more information will be available until we can assess the situation, verify details and confirm that the next of kin of involved soldiers have been informed.

For further information: (613) 996-2353/54, After hours:
(613) 792-2973, World Wide Web: http://www.dnd.ca
Old 02-03-06, 12:29

One Canadian dead.

http://sympaticomsn.ctv.ca/servlet/A...anistan_060302
Old 02-03-06, 17:55

It was a collision with a civilian vehicle.

RIP Cpl. Paul James Davis, of Bridgewater, N.S.

Old 02-03-06, 18:40

Default Press Release....

Quote:
It was a collision with a civilian vehicle.

RIP Cpl. Paul James Davis, of Bridgewater, N.S.

\
here is the press release...

One Canadian soldier killed, six soldiers and one civilian injured in Afghanistan vehicle accident
OTTAWA, March 2 /CNW Telbec/ - One Canadian soldier was killed, six
others and one local interpreter were injured when their light armoured
vehicle (LAV III) collided with a civilian taxi that may have failed to yield
at an intersection causing the LAV III to swerve into a roadside ditch before
rolling over. The accident occurred about seven kilometres west of Kandahar
around 9:50 a.m. local time (12:20 a.m. EST) on March 2.

Dead is Corporal Paul Davis of Bridgewater, N.S.

Seriously injured are:

Master-Corporal Timothy Wilson of Grande Prairie, Alta.;
Private Miguel Chavez, originally of San Salvador, El Salvador.

Other soldiers injured along with an Afghan interpreter are:

Private Nathan Justice of Dauphin, Man.;
Private Mark Taylor of Prince Rupert, B.C.;
Private Thomas Wong of Edmonton, Alta.;
Sergeant Darren Haggerty of London, Ont.

Five of the injured, including the interpreter, are in stable condition
at this time. All next of kin have been notified.
One soldier underwent surgery at the coalition field hospital at Kandahar
Airfield. Plans are being made to transfer him to the U.S. medical facility at
Landstuhl, Germany, as soon as his medical condition allows. Private Chavez is
already en route to Landstuhl on board a U.S. military aircraft diverted to
Kandahar.
The repatriation of Corporal Davis' remains is now being planned. Details
will be released as they become available.
The soldiers were conducting a routine patrol when their LAV III rolled
over. They were all members of Bravo Company from the 2nd Battalion, Princess
Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry (2 PPCLI), stationed in Shilo, Man.,
serving with Task Force Afghanistan, in Kandahar as part of Canadian
operations in Afghanistan.
Immediately after the incident, a U.S. Army Blackhawk helicopter from
Kandahar Airfield flew four of the injured soldiers from the accident site to
the coalition hospital at Kandahar Airfield while the others were evacuated by
road in a Bison ambulance to a medical facility at Camp Nathan Smith.
Canada's mission in Afghanistan is part of our contribution to the
international campaign to help bring stability and security to the people of
Afghanistan. The overarching goal is to help the Afghan people achieve peace
by preventing their nation from relapsing into a failed state that gives
terrorist and terrorist organizations a safe haven.
There are significant risks involved in these operations, but Canadian
Forces members are among the best trained, and most experienced soldiers in
the world. They are well led, well equipped, and fully prepared for the
mission in Afghanistan
Cpl Davis is the ninth Canadian soldier to lose his life in Afghanistan.
Glyn Berry, a representative from Foreign Affairs Canada also lost his life
while serving in Afghanistan.

NOTE TO EDITOR:

Images related to this incident will be available on the CF Combat Camera
website at: http://www.combatcamera.forces.gc.ca

For further information: (613) 996-2353/54, After hours: (613) 792-2973,
World Wide Web: http://www.forces.gc.ca
Old 02-03-06, 19:31
3RD ECHELON WKSP

Not to sound insensitive, but, is this not the second incident regarding rollover / collision w/ civilians? Don't those Afgans realize that there only one winner when you want to tangle with an AFV? Maybe its time for the CF to insist on offensive driving school for our troopers instead of defensive. It seems to me that the lives of our servicemen and women are more important to protect that those of some idiot driving a taxi...

1983 M1009 CUCV

RT-524, PRC-77s,

Old 03-03-06, 12:12

Just saw on Global news that there was a suicide bombing against another LAV this moring. None killed, but several wounded. The bomb blew out all the right-side tires, but it looks like the armour retained its integrity.

More to follow.