MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Armour Forum

Notices

Old 26-07-09, 23:20
Mike

Default Help with a Sherbrooke Fusilier

Hello,

This is my first post here, I hope this is the right spot, my wife's grandfather was in the Shrebrooke Fusilers on D-Day and through the rest of the war, he is featured in the book "Voices of WW2". http://www.amazon.com/Voices-World-W...8642833&sr=1-6 (that's him in the center on the cover)

I'm trying to put together a shadow box for her, and while doing some research about the medals, I have really gotten into the Canadians part of D-Day, I'm a Yank, so of course I know alot of Omaha and Utah stuff, but I never got to talk to him about the stuff he went through...

Anyway, back to the point, I have a couple of pictures of him with his medals, the book lists them as:
Service Star 1939-45
Defense of Britain,
France and Germany Star
Victory Medal
Canadian Voluntary Service Medal with clasp
Canadian centennial medal
Canadian 125th anniversary medal
Queen’s jubilee 25-year medal
Canadian decoration
Queens jubilee 50 year medal
Dutch medal of remembrance

I have found copies of most of them, except for the Queen's medals, what I'm not sure about are the medals on his right breast, anyone have an idea of what thery are?
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
pop1.jpg   pop2.jpg  
Old 27-07-09, 01:20
Terry Warner

Default Royal Canadian Legion

Those are various service medals for his activities in the Legion. The RCL is more stuffy than I percieve the AL or VFW. There is a dress code (regulation blazer and beret) and for serving in certain branch offices, there are official medals. The Legion's Dominion Headquarters is in Ottawa (like I said, a bit stiff and old-fashioned compared to other things these days).

Interesting that you should be researching the SFR. There is another book, long ago disappeared into private collections by a LCol Jackson. Published in the early 1960's. It has a red cover, some photos and lots of detailed "stuff" on the unit. Jackson was a writer for hire and he was contracted by the unit to tell its story.

While you are at it, look up the most famous SFR member, "Rad" Radley-Walters. He landed on D-Day, commanded at all levels, and was recently acknowledged by Mr. Doug Christie as being the on scene commander when SS leader Wittmann's Tiger was knocked out. The Canadians didn't know it at the time, but forensics and good research strongly weigh the odds in their favour vs a very long lobbing shot from a British Yeomanry tank.

Finally, there is a 16mm movie called "Green Fields Beyond" that was made on the crew of Tank Bomb shortly after the war in Holland. They had many of the original crew playing themselves.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!