MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 06-05-18, 18:27

Default 3000+ Scouts

5 May 2018 Scout Event

Yesterday attended a regional Scouting Event with 3600 boy & girls, our club had been asked to provide a number of Historical Military Vehicles, all sorts of displays and activities, event was held at the NASCAR track here in New Hampshire. Scouts from all over NH neighboring states and a large number from Canada.

These are great events if you like kids age 10 - 18, lots of questions, lots of toots on the horn. These are not events for people with 100 point antique vehicles who are afraid of the truck getting muddy foot prints on the upholstery. You have got to enjoy talking with young people, answering questions and be amazed by the knowledge of these young people. Found the young people to very respectful and well supervised by their troop leaders. These young people are the future of our hobby.

I took Beauty my 1942 C60S 3 Ton Radio Truck, which generally draws a lot of interest, it was pleasing to talk with the young people who were asking questions about the trucks, many of them it was clear that they had read all the display information on the side of the truck. The Canadians got a kick out of the history of CMPs being drawn to come over by the WWII Canadian Flag (Ensign), this often lead into a discussion of the 48 Star WWII Vintage flag also flying from the truck. Great to see that most kids could answer the questions what two states joined the Union to make it 50 stars. If you play this game don’t be surprised if you run into one or two will ask or know the which states preceded them, ran into one budding young historian who knew the order of the states as they joined the Union.

As the day drew to an end everybody is getting tired one group of Scouts came over and joined us sitting in the shade of the truck and we talked for 20-30 minutes. Was it talking about old trucks, history, shade to sit in, or was it that they had been up much of the night as rain and strong winds rolled through their campgrounds the night before?

Cheers Phil
Attached Thumbnails
Scout Event reduced .jpg   2018 Scout Event WF reduced.jpg  
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 06-05-18, 23:54

Phil,

It was a great day. When the weather improves i need to wash all the muddy shoe prints and finger prints off the m38
Old 07-05-18, 01:45

Hi Phil,

I'm still a Scout leader here in Quebec and thank you for your participation in this gathering of Scouts. Young people need adults like us to build strong values that will make them respectable and useful citizens for tomorrow's society.

Best regards
Old 07-05-18, 20:42

Default The Scout Leaders are the key

Hi Bill

I appreciate the thanks for taking part in a Scouting even, my appreciation is to all Scout Leaders who are willing to invest their time in the next generation.

Thoroughly enjoyed the day and will be glad to take part in the future.

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com