MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 13-09-18, 15:53
Matthew P Matthew P is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: West Virginia, USA
Posts: 37
Default Cross Border Raid

So in two weeks I'll be going to The Greater Toronto Train Show (my other hobby is HO scale trains) where I'll be part of the large Free-mo modular layout there.

I've been generous with my time and plan to drive up on Thursday. This will be my first visit to Canada and I'm looking forward to it.

Matt
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 13-09-18, 17:12
Ed Storey Ed Storey is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 820
Default Cross-Border Raid

You won't need your parka (yet), but make sure you have some Loonies and Toonies so you can buy a Timmies.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 13-09-18, 17:25
Robin Craig's Avatar
Robin Craig Robin Craig is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Near Kingston, ON, Canada
Posts: 1,751
Default

Matthew what vehicles are you in to?
__________________
Robin Craig

Home of the Maple Leaf Adapter
2 Canadian Mk1 Ferrets
M4 Treadway bridge training sets
Kawasaki KLR250 CFR 95-10908 ex PPCLI
Canadair CL70 CFR 58-91588
Bombardier Skandic WT 97-26076 LOSV
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 14-09-18, 00:23
Dan Martel's Avatar
Dan Martel Dan Martel is offline
Centurion nut
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 136
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew P View Post
This will be my first visit to Canada...
1) Speed limits are metric so '80' isn't 80 mph but 80 kph, or 50 mph.

2) Highway 407 is a tollway. You will be billed for using it, but it's a better ride.

3) A paper dollar with a tam-wearing Scot on it is Canadian Tire money, not real money. Don't take any as change.

4) You'll pay extra for American beer, but it's brewed locally anyway, so try our domestic brands.

5) Our Walmart's aren't as good as yours.

6) Don't try saying 'eh' after every sentence to blend in, you'll just stand out.

7) A serviette is a paper napkin dispensed by fast-food restaurants. (I once asked for a serviette in a Buffalo sandwich shop, and the girl laughed at me.)

8) Our gas is sold by the litre. Remember that 0.22 cents (Cdn) a litre is the same as $1.00 (Cdn) an Imperial Gallon. So $1.32 (Cdn) a litre is the same as $6.00 (Cdn) an Imp Gal. Fill up in Buffalo.

9) If you can possibly avoid it, don't drive in downtown Toronto on a weekday. Take the subway or a cab. (Stay off the highways at rush hour if you can, too.)

10) Don't be afraid to go out at night. It's quite safe.

Cheers,
Dan.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 14-09-18, 00:35
rob love rob love is offline
carrier mech
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Shilo MB, the armpit of Canada
Posts: 5,822
Default

I ended up (in error) on the 407 about 4 months back when I visited ON, and have yet to receive a bill. I'm guessing the beat up license plates we Manitobans use saved me the fees.

Another unique Cdn thing (I believe, but I stand to be corrected) is that we put vinegar on our French fries, despite the fact that the ketchup we put on after the vinegar is mostly vinegar anyway.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 14-09-18, 00:50
Paul Singleton Paul Singleton is offline
Cab 11 C-15
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Yarker Ontario Canada
Posts: 244
Default 407

Highway 407 is a nice bypass to miss Toronto traffic but compared to turnpike tolls in the U.S. it is very expensive.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 14-09-18, 01:06
Chuck Anderson Chuck Anderson is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 164
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Martel View Post

9) If you can possibly avoid it, don't drive in downtown Toronto on a weekday. Take the subway or a cab. (Stay off the highways at rush hour if you can, too
Toronto has a daily hour dedicated to Rush? AWESOME!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 14-09-18, 01:46
Dan Martel's Avatar
Dan Martel Dan Martel is offline
Centurion nut
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 136
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob love View Post
Another unique Cdn thing (I believe, but I stand to be corrected) is that we put vinegar on our French fries, despite the fact that the ketchup we put on after the vinegar is mostly vinegar anyway.
Malt vinegar. White vinegar would be considered beyond the Pale.

Cheers,
Dan.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 14-09-18, 01:49
Bruce Parker Bruce Parker is offline
GM Fox I
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: SW Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,705
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Storey View Post
You won't need your parka (yet), but make sure you have some Loonies and Toonies so you can buy a Timmies.
Stop with the false promises. It snowed in Alberta today.

(Loonies...Timmies…Toonies... Gak. He's going to think we're looney-gooney around here)
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 14-09-18, 01:54
Bruce Parker Bruce Parker is offline
GM Fox I
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: SW Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,705
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Anderson View Post
Toronto has a daily hour dedicated to Rush? AWESOME!
Ain't no 'rush' in Trawna's rush hour. Come to think of it there's no 'hour' either. The damn slow to stop on roads in that excuse for a city lasts 24 hours a day.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 14-09-18, 02:05
Bruce Parker Bruce Parker is offline
GM Fox I
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: SW Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,705
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob love View Post
I ended up (in error) on the 407 about 4 months back when I visited ON, and have yet to receive a bill. I'm guessing the beat up license plates we Manitobans use saved me the fees.

Another unique Cdn thing (I believe, but I stand to be corrected) is that we put vinegar on our French fries, despite the fact that the ketchup we put on after the vinegar is mostly vinegar anyway.
The Canadian ketchup's tang you love so much comes not from vinegar but from fresh Leamington tomatoes (Leamington being not only the tomato capital of the world but is a mere half hour west of me)...and...from the sweat dripping off the brows of imported Mexican workers who harvest the bounty.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 14-09-18, 04:12
Matthew P Matthew P is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: West Virginia, USA
Posts: 37
Default

Thanks all! Once again the combination of humor and helpfulness that defines your nation shines through! To answer a few questions:

Vehicle wise my interest lay in the myriad welfare vehicles used by philanthropic organizations to support the forces. I like malt vinegar on fries. Not sure where it originated from, but it's something I've done for a long time and some of our eateries have vinegar out for fries. I travel internationally a lot, but don't drive overseas so although I still stumble I'm ahead of many Americans when it comes to using metric. Actually haven't made it to a Tim Horton's yet. I'm all the way down by Washington DC and there aren't any this far south. Some in New England but none close to any routes I've been on.

Matt
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 14-09-18, 04:34
Bruce Parker Bruce Parker is offline
GM Fox I
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: SW Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,705
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew P View Post
Thanks all! Once again the combination of humor and helpfulness that defines your nation shines through! To answer a few questions:

Vehicle wise my interest lay in the myriad welfare vehicles used by philanthropic organizations to support the forces. I like malt vinegar on fries. Not sure where it originated from, but it's something I've done for a long time and some of our eateries have vinegar out for fries. I travel internationally a lot, but don't drive overseas so although I still stumble I'm ahead of many Americans when it comes to using metric. Actually haven't made it to a Tim Horton's yet. I'm all the way down by Washington DC and there aren't any this far south. Some in New England but none close to any routes I've been on.

Matt

Well, at least you come to Canada forewarned and forearmed. Once you've spent the better part of a half hour in a Timmies lineup for a double-double you'll get the hang of the place. Just FYI, 'snow' is that white stuff that makes you skid off into the ditch.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 14-09-18, 04:39
Robert Bergeron's Avatar
Robert Bergeron Robert Bergeron is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: North America
Posts: 961
Default Border crossing

If you head out East you will fall off the face of Canada and land in Québec. That is where «* poutine «* was invented . Never mind the vinegar and ketchup and have the pleasure of trying real fries with curd cheese and gravy . Now that’ s havin a taste of Canada ! Say POUTINE in Québec and nobody will think you are referring to a foreign head of government. Welcome to Canada man.
__________________
44 GPW
44 C-15-A Wire 5 with 2K1
44 U.C. No-2 MKII*
42 F-15-A GS
10 Cwt Cdn
M100 Cdn
M101 Cdn2

Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 14-09-18, 05:04
Bruce Parker Bruce Parker is offline
GM Fox I
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: SW Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,705
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Bergeron View Post
If you head out East you will fall off the face of Canada and land in Québec. That is where «* poutine «* was invented . Never mind the vinegar and ketchup and have the pleasure of trying real fries with curd cheese and gravy . Now that’ s havin a taste of Canada ! Say POUTINE in Québec and nobody will think you are referring to a foreign head of government. Welcome to Canada man.
Robert, I think you have it right. If Matthew wants the full Canadian experience he'd skip Toronto and whatever business he has there and go directly to the poutinerie on Route 20 just east of Drummondville. Nobody survives authentic Quebec poutine without wearing a toque and declaring tabernaque.

And if that's not enough, what do you call those pork pies in Quebec City?
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 14-09-18, 05:09
Robert Bergeron's Avatar
Robert Bergeron Robert Bergeron is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: North America
Posts: 961
Default

«* Tourtières «* Bruce . But don’t teach Mattew French swear words please , there are ladies present . That’s what we put ketchup on, not fries. Now that’s from a Qwébécer who has lived the past three years in Edmonton , Comox and Victoria and just pitched his tent in .... Winterpeg [ Winnipeg Manitoba for Mattew] for the duration or until i freeze over. Mathew you must hink we are crazy , cause we are . We are crazy fun and welcoming in Canada .
__________________
44 GPW
44 C-15-A Wire 5 with 2K1
44 U.C. No-2 MKII*
42 F-15-A GS
10 Cwt Cdn
M100 Cdn
M101 Cdn2


Last edited by Robert Bergeron; 14-09-18 at 05:15.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 14-09-18, 15:07
rob love rob love is offline
carrier mech
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Shilo MB, the armpit of Canada
Posts: 5,822
Default

My quebecois wife and I went to A&W here, and she ordered a poutine. However, she pronounced it with the French accent so it sounded like "pootsin". The guy asked her twice what she wanted, not understanding what the heck she was saying. I finally interjected with "pooteen", which is the correct English Canadian pronunciation.

She was not amused.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 14-09-18, 18:45
Wayne Hingley's Avatar
Wayne Hingley Wayne Hingley is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Water Valley, Alberta
Posts: 459
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob love View Post
My quebecois wife and I went to A&W here, and she ordered a poutine. However, she pronounced it with the French accent so it sounded like "pootsin". The guy asked her twice what she wanted, not understanding what the heck she was saying. I finally interjected with "pooteen", which is the correct English Canadian pronunciation.

She was not amused.
HAHA... did that result in another dent in your forehead, Rob?
__________________
1953 M37 CDN
1953 M38A1 CDN
1967 M38A1 CDN2
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 15-09-18, 02:29
Robert Bergeron's Avatar
Robert Bergeron Robert Bergeron is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: North America
Posts: 961
Default dents in the head

I have to agree with Mrs Love . «*poo- teen «* somehow*» does not render the proper description of this French Canadian delicacy. «* Poo*» & «*Teen*» really ? It is risky to venture to change cultural institutions without your wife ´s approuval . Utturly dangerous.
__________________
44 GPW
44 C-15-A Wire 5 with 2K1
44 U.C. No-2 MKII*
42 F-15-A GS
10 Cwt Cdn
M100 Cdn
M101 Cdn2

Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 15-09-18, 04:18
mel gabel mel gabel is offline
JT (Mel) Gabel
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Campbellville, ON, Canada
Posts: 32
Default Train show - Sept 29

Mathew, I will also be at the train show that weekend. Not for the whole weekend, but for some portion, most likely on Saturday. I will try to find you. I'll wear an MVPA hat so maybe you will recognize me first.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 15-09-18, 04:32
Luke R Luke R is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Gippsland, Vic
Posts: 284
Default

Matthew,
You should up load some photos of the train show and your layout.
I started building a layout once, but MV's soon took over my spare time and money.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 15-09-18, 05:06
Matthew P Matthew P is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: West Virginia, USA
Posts: 37
Default

Mel that's great! I'll probably be in an olive drab shirt that says "Afghanistan Model Railway Club". Alas I believe I'm the only official member. Luke I will try to get some photos fro the gang.

I'll admit to having never tried poutine. I suppose it's as much or more important then Kebabs in Istanbul.

Matt
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 15-09-18, 05:37
Bruce Parker Bruce Parker is offline
GM Fox I
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: SW Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,705
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew P View Post

I'll admit to having never tried poutine.
Matt
Well, that's fine so long as you right that omission promptly. A wonderous experience awaits you. One word of caution however. Places like Costco sell 'poo-tin' made with frozen french fries smothered in cheese product overlain with industrial grease (a gravy, of sorts). DON'T DO IT!!!! Confirm it's fresh cut fries and legit squeaky cheese curd or walk!!

(Hello. My name is Bruce and I'm a poutine addict)
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 15-09-18, 07:36
Michael R. Michael R. is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 768
Default

What’s this ‘rush hour’ and ‘Imperial’ gallon business?
Matthew can teach Toronto a thing or two from his Beltway driving experience.
Or crossing the river from Crystal City into DC on the 395.

Imperial gallons and pricey fuel? He likely has ‘dollars’, real dollars that should offset the fuel price disparity.

Welcome to the Big Smoke, Matthew. Mel is good people, take him up on the offer to say hello and do not be afraid to ask for support if you believe one of us locals could assist you.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 17-09-18, 16:40
Matthew P Matthew P is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: West Virginia, USA
Posts: 37
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael R. View Post
Matthew can teach Toronto a thing or two from his Beltway driving experience.
Or crossing the river from Crystal City into DC on the 395.
Two years I messed with that! Now I'm out in West Virginia and commute to Virginia a few days a week every other month. The months in between I go experience the traffic in the capitol cities of other nations. I don't miss that traffic at all!

Matt
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 29-09-18, 03:34
Matthew P Matthew P is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: West Virginia, USA
Posts: 37
Default

Spent the day today at The Salvation Army archives. Scanned over 60 photos. Simply stunning. I'll be able to add to the welfare vehicles thread in a few weeks once I get to processing.

Found a 160lb tent fly in Malahide for 50cdn on Facebook Marketplace. Unfortunately that's too far out of the way for me to get on my drive home on Monday.

Look forward to seeing you Mel. I'll be in an OD long sleeve t shirt. My module will be on the "American Branch" of the Free-mo layout.

Matt
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
border raid UK Hendrik van Oorspronk The Softskin Forum 5 01-12-16 07:35
M100 CDN trailer found in cross-border raid maple_leaf_eh Post-war Military Vehicles 33 15-11-12 07:33
Border raid .... Morris Mike Kelly The Softskin Forum 14 22-11-11 19:23
Border raid target Keith Webb The Softskin Forum 11 28-03-11 12:57
Border Raid Rusty The Softskin Forum 1 19-03-09 00:26


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 12:41.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © Maple Leaf Up, 2003-2016