MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 08-07-11, 03:32
Blitzed

Default MLU on facebook

I didn't know that it was, so I had a look and found that it is not. It's just someone who has taken the name and logo. Is it someone from MLU or just someone ripping off the name?

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...00000377728667

I'm not sure that you'll be able to see the page if your not a member, if anyone knows how keith webb copies web pages and pastes them here please tell me and I will.

Last edited by Ryan; 08-07-11 at 03:38. Reason: copying
Old 08-07-11, 03:45
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Facebook

Hmmmm certainly not my page.

As for how Keith Webb uploads pages, perhaps you'd better ask him...

Ahem. I use software called Skitch which grabs any part of a screen then hosts that image so I can post it here, like this:

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 08-07-11, 04:28
Bluebell

Default a search reveals

Sean D is a forum member

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....
Old 08-07-11, 08:35
Blitzed

Default facebook

Ah-ha, cheers Keith.

Yes, a bit strange isn't it.
Old 09-07-11, 00:33
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Perhaps

Perhaps Sean can shed some light on this then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Eades View Post
Sean D is a forum member

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 09-07-11, 01:46
WO8 C15A 142736

Add Friend

Mapleleaf Uptwo

There are two using the logo.
Old 09-07-11, 01:49
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Default March Him in ..Sgt Major...!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Webb View Post
Perhaps Sean can shed some light on this then.

I don't want to be associated with Facebook in any manor or form...What who ever did this is doing is just what we have been trying to discourage..I suggest we ,the moderators, contact Sean and see what is going on and if he has used the MLU logo to start a Face book page to close it down..I know or have nothing in common with the "Friends" listed on the page and the snow ball effect of a friend of afriend of a friend will have every weirdo..pre-vert and skank attacking our forum..a plague has invaded MLU...
Kill it NOW...!!
If nothing else contact Face book and have that page deleted..!!

As an example go to this link...go to profile on the top of the page next to "Home"and click it and see who comes up..

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000377728667
Old 09-07-11, 02:55
RIP

Default Facebook

Hi all - I agree with Alex. If I had my way I would have Facebook banned. I also don't Twitter, Tweet, Blog or whatever is available.

Anti-Facebook Bob
Website owner - salesmanbob.com
Old 09-07-11, 03:14
Tony VAN RHODA

Default Cancer growth

Hi all

I agree with all comments made so far. It is like a cancerous growth. Cut it out now before it spreads out of control. We do not need those types.

Tony
Old 09-07-11, 04:16

It is insiduous. I even received an e-mail from Facebook themseves (Itself?) with a list of all people I know who have signed up and asking me join as well. This was unsolicited, unwanted, and an eye opener to what information is available to them. Maybe it should be called "Tracebook".
If the MLU Aussie chapter casts their minds back to the "80's, they may recall the big fuss about the proposed "Australia Card" which would have all our details available to all and sundry. This caused a huge uproar about the Big Brother state etc. and was dropped like the hot political potato it was. Surprisingly the general population has now voluntarily signed up to something even worse.... Go figure.
Was the Mapleleaf logo ever copyrighted? If not, I fear the moderators may not have a leagal leg to stand on.
I would like to hear from Sean, I am sure he would be surprised at the reaction this has caused.
Rich.
Old 09-07-11, 05:23

Wow, you guys need to calm down a wee bit. I know three of the people on that page and two of them reasonably well. I'll send them a msg to find out some more about this group. They are all plastic military model makers. I'll get back and post my findings here.

In the mean time, put all the negative energy to something usefull like restoring Canadian WW2 vehicles.
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 09-07-11, 06:13
Blitzed

Default facebook

Yes I'd agree with Jordan.
The reason I came across the infringment is because I'm a member of facebook.
Why? I live in the country and have a young daughter so I find it hard to stay in contact with my friends on a regular basis. With facebook I can stay in touch and see what they are up to.
I have not passed any info to facebook apart from my email, just like MLU.
I do not list much private info on facebook because you never know who is watching.
And I'm not one of these weirdos with 800 people on my friends list, just 8.
Facebook is good, just depends on how you use it.
I've even pointed a person I came across on facebook ( a movie armourer ) onto MLU as I thought he'd enjoy sharing his pics with us which included Lee and Stuart tanks and jeeps.
I don't agree with people however calling themselves MLU and using the logo on facebook. However, if it's not trademarked I don't think there is much that can be done.
But let's drop the rifles for a moment and start talks.
ryan
Old 09-07-11, 16:03
RIP

Default Facebook

Hi all - out of the millions of people subscribing to Facebook, hundreds of thousands are members of criminal organisations, pedophiles (however you spell it), identity theft trawlers and every manner of freak that cannot communicate verbally. Unlike the Australia Card that had many safeguards, Facebook entries are easily hacked into that allow the above groups to access personal information. Australian MLUers would remember the Stranger Danger campaigns to protect children. Where is the childrens protection allowing them to place communications world wide for everyone to see. Don't tell me Facebook is secure. We have already had one murder here in South Australia that involved Internet communication.

It is a sad reflection on society that cheap impersonal options such as Facebook, Emails, Twitters, Tweets, Blogs and the rest has taken the place of VERBAL COMMUNICATION.

Nobody had better place me on Facebook as I will come down on them from High.

Bob
Old 09-07-11, 20:05
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Default Intellectual Property infringement..

Although we have no copy right on MLU it is our intellectual property as we all have created it..by posting here on the forum and by Jif having created the platform which is now continued by Sean..Hanno..and David and Keith and all the other moderators so we can ask that this page be removed from Facebook..Someone more familiar with the inner workings would have to ask..or we as individuals could ask..here is the instructions..

Quote:
How to report claims of intellectual property infringement

Facebook is committed to protecting the intellectual property of third parties. On this page, rights holders will find information regarding how to report copyright and other intellectual property infringements by users posting content on our website and answers to some frequently asked questions regarding our policies.

If you are a user concerned about the removal of your content, you may file a counter-notice. You can do so through the email notification you received or in the warning at the top of your home page.

If you are a user concerned about the security of your account, please visit our Security help page.
How to report claims of copyright infringement by users

To report a copyright infringement by a Facebook user, all you need to do is fill out our automated DMCA form. This form is the fastest way to report a copyright infringement. Although we will review reports in all languages, it will speed our review if you can submit your report in English.

If you prefer, you can also send a DMCA notice to our designated agent (information below).
How to report other claims of intellectual property infringement by users

If you wish to report other claims of intellectual property infringement (i.e. non-copyright) by a Facebook user, all you need to do is fill out our automated IP infringement form. We appreciate your cooperation in providing an English translation of your report, when possible.
Frequently Asked Questions
What happens after I send the report?
What should I do if a third-party application infringes my rights?
What is the contact information for your DMCA designated agent?
Can I report the infringement of someone else's intellectual property rights?
What should I do if someone is pretending to be me?
Facebook © 2011 · English (UK)
About · Advertising · Create a Page · Developers · Careers · Privacy · Terms · Help
Anyway I feel we should have this page removed from Facebook..an insidious creeping pox...a plague of deceit..lies and a catalog for all types of perverts to pray on our children..
Do not link MLU with Face book..If you want to have a Face book page..fine..have it ..If you want to be an MLU member..fine..so be it....BUT DO NOT JOIN FACEBOOK AS MLU>>>YOU DO NOT OWN IT AND YOU ARE STEALING INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY CREATED BY OTHERS>>

I'll stick with MLU>>
Old 09-07-11, 22:46

Default Calm down please

Please calm down guys. There could be a valid answer to this so let investergations take there course as I'd hate to have to lock my first thread

"and on the 8th day he made trucks so that man, made on the 7th day, had shelter when woman threw him out for the night"
MrRoo says "TRUCKS ROOLE"

Last edited by cliff; 25-07-11 at 10:58.
Old 10-07-11, 06:22
RIP

Default Re. Calm Down Please

Hi Cliff - I think the discussions have veered away from MLU on Facebook, that will be sorted out. More to the point is that Facebook itself should be abolished as it is a nightmare as I described previously.

Bob
Old 10-07-11, 21:50
MLU Administrator

Guys,

I am not on Facebook, so it probably is not very easy for me to find out what this group is up to. Can anyone on here who's a Facebook member too find out? I'm sure it's not a group which is mis-using "Maple Leaf Up" and the things we stand for?

Meanwhile, check http://www.mapleleafup.ca/whatismlu.html, they have a Facebook page too. The more the merrier, as long as we strive to attain the same things that is.

Regards,
Hanno
MLU Administrator
Old 10-07-11, 22:24
WO8 C15A 142736

Hi Hanno,
I logged into Vicki's account and there is "Maple leaf up" and "Maple leaf uptwo" they bouth use the sticker as their id picture and share the same 8 friends, they just don't use a real name to identify themselves as the others do.
Old 14-07-11, 06:41

I heard back from my acquaintance who is a member of the MLU facebook group. Basically its a group of Canadian model makers.

Quote:
It is a modelling group that started it. Not really about Canadian modelling content, but Canadian modellers. Is name copy protected?? The modelling group from what I understand, wanted to use a canadian WW2 theme for it's name.
Take it for what it is and go back to rebuilding our 1:1 scale kits.
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 24-07-11, 09:13
RIP

Default Facebook Warning

Hi all - a bit of reading here, but this is how kids can be targeted and identity fraud/theft aided.

Anyone who has kids, grandkids, nieces/nephews, anyone who talks on line need to read this and get their kids to read it too!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After tossing her books on the sofa, she decided to grab a snack and get on-line..
She logged on under her screen name ByAngel213.
She checked her Buddy List and saw GoTo123 was on.
She sent him an instant message:

ByAngel213:
Hi. I'm glad you are on! I thought someone was following me home today. It was really weird!

GoTo123:
LOL You watch too much TV. Why would someone be following you? Don't you live in a safe neighborhood?

ByAngel213:
Of course I do. LOL I guess it was my imagination cuz' I didn't see anybody when I looked out.

GoTo123:
Unless you gave your name out on-line. You haven't done that have you ?

ByAngel213:
Of course not. I'm not stupid you know.

GoTo123:
Did you have a netball game after school today?

ByAngel213:
Yes, and we won!!

GoTo123:
That's great! Who did you play?

ByAngel213:
We played the Hornets. LOL. Their uniforms are so gross! They look like bees. LOL.

GoTo123:
What is your team called?

ByAngel213:
We are the Chelsea Cats. We have tiger paws on our uniforms. They are really cool.

GoTo123:
Did you throw any goals?

ByAngel213:
No, I play defence. I got to go. My homework has to be done before my parents get home. I don't want them mad at me. Bye!

GoTo123:
Catch you later. Bye

Meanwhile, GoTo123 went to the member menu and began to search for her profile. When it came up, he highlighted it and printed it out. He took out a pen and began to write down what he knew about Angel so far.

Her name: Shannon
Birthday: Jan. 3, 1985
State where she lived: Victoria

Hobbies: netball, chorus singing, rollerskating, and going to the mall to meet friends. Besides this information, he knew she lived in Chelsea because she had just told him.
He knew she stayed by herself until 6:30 p.m. every afternoon until her parents came home from work. He knew she played netball on Thursday afternoons on the school team, and the team was named the Chelsea Cats. Her favorite number 7 was printed on her netball shirt. He knew she was in the eighth grade at the Chelsea High School .... She had told him all this in the conversations they had on- line. He had enough information to find her now.

Shannon didn't tell her parents about the incident on the way home from the ballpark that day. She didn't want them to make a scene and stop her from walking home from the netball games. Parents were always overreacting and hers were the worst. It made her wish she was not an only
child. Maybe if she had brothers and sisters, her parents wouldn't be so overprotective..

By Thursday, Shannon had forgotten about the
footsteps following her..

Her game was in full swing when suddenly
she felt someone staring at her. It was then that the memory came back. She glanced up from her on-court position to see a man watching her closely..

He was leaning against the fence behind the goal post and he smiled when she looked at him. He didn't look scary and she quickly dismissed the sudden fear she had felt..

After the game, he sat on a bench while she talked to the coach.. She noticed his smile once again as she walked past him. He nodded and she smiled back. He noticed her name on the back of her shirt. He knew he had found her.

Quietly, he walked a safe distance behind her. It was only a few blocks to Shannon 's home, and once he saw where she lived he quickly returned to the park to get his car.

Now he had to wait. He decided to get a bite to eat until the time came to go to Shannon 's house. He drove to a fast food restaurant and sat there until time to make his move.

Shannon was in her room later that evening when she heard voices in the living room.

" Shannon , come here," her father called.. He sounded upset and she couldn't imagine why. She went into the room to see the man from the netball park sitting on the sofa.

"Sit down," her father began, "this man has just told us a most interesting story about you."

Shannon sat back. How could he tell her parents anything? She had never seen him before today!

"Do you know who I am, Shannon ?" the man asked..

"No," Shannon answered.

"I am a police officer, and your online friend, GoTo123."

Shannon was stunned. "That's impossible! GoTo123 is a kid my age! He's 14. And he lives in Western Australia !"

The man smiled. "I know I told you all that, but it wasn't true.. You see, Shannon , there are people on-line who pretend to be kids; I was one of them. But while others do it to injure kids and hurt them, I belong to a group of parents who do it to protect kids from predators. I came here to find you to teach you how dangerous it is to talk to people on-line. You told me enough about yourself to make it easy for me to find you. You named the school you went to, the name of your netball team and the position you played. The number and name on your netball shirt just made finding you a breeze."

Shannon was stunned. "You mean you don't live in Western Australia ?"

He laughed. "No, I live and work here in Melbourne .. It made you feel safe to think I was so far away, didn't it?"

She nodded.

"I had a friend whose daughter was like you. Only she wasn't as lucky. The guy found her and murdered her while she was home alone. Kids are taught not to tell anyone when they are alone, yet they do it all the time on-line. The wrong people trick you into giving out information a little here and there on-line. Before you know it,you have told them enough for them to find you without even realizing you have done it. I hope you've learned a lesson from this and won't do it again. Tell others about this so they will be safe too?"

"It's a promise!"

Bob
Old 25-07-11, 06:14
Rick Cove

Bob,
Thats about the best advice I have ever heard from you. Well Done!
Regards Rick.
1940 F30S Cab11
1940 Chev WA LRDG "Te Hai"
1941 F60L Cab12
1943 Ford Lynx
1942 Bren Gun Carrier VR no.2250
Humber FV1601A
Saracen Mk1(?)
25pdr. 1940 Weir No.266
25pdr. Australian Short No.185 (?)
KVE Member.
Old 25-07-11, 10:31
Bluebell

Default I agree

I emailed it to my three adult kids

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....
Old 25-07-11, 11:57

Hi

I did it wrong too.

regards
Darrell
Attached Thumbnails
facebook.jpg