MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 23-02-05, 22:12

Default C8A chassis no. 3844516525

Chev C15?

Hi all, since loosing my Ford in the fire I have been looking around for something else and heard of a c15 for sale. I was unable to go and see it myself but a mate who was near it took some pictures for me. I have attached them for your opinions as I do not know very much at all about the CMPs but I am sure this is not what it is supposed to be. I think it has been a wireless truck that someone has removed the box from and added their own version of a body. Am I half right ?
thanks in anticipation,
Jimmy.

Maybe not the best pictures to judge by, but I am thankful to him for taking them for me.
Attached Thumbnails
vehicle-beckssnow 0011.jpg   vehicle-beckssnow 0021.jpg   vehicle-beckssnow 0031.jpg   vehicle-beckssnow 0041.jpg   vehicle-beckssnow 006[1]1.jpg  

Last edited by Hanno Spoelstra; 24-06-08 at 22:19. Reason: attached pictures & deleted dead picture links
Old 23-02-05, 22:59

Thumbs down

From Nigel Dawe. MVT Number 695.

It's a butchered HUP !
Old 23-02-05, 23:30
MVT Member 11001

Default Chevrolet 'C15'

Hi Jimmy,

There are several possibilities!

The vehicle could be converted from a Chev C8A Heavy Utility such as a HUP or HUW. At first I thought it was a very rare Chev C8AX which had a GS body on a C8A type chassis, which were assembled in New Zealand but the rear body is wrong. Also in the photo of the drivers side, the running board below the fuel tank looks very much like that from a C8A and not like a normal C15 GS. Looking at the filler cap you will see it is in the centre of the tank rather than beside the rear wheel arch for a C8A or towards the front for a C15. Is there any sign that the fuel filler pipe has been moved?

As you can see the rear of the cab roof extends backwards unlike a normal No 13 Cab which made me think of a C8A. But looking at the vehicle number on the door, I noticed it began with an H - if it is original, this was used for Field Artillery Tractors such as the Chevrolet CGT, which had a cab that joined on to a wider rear body. Although the C8, C15 and CGT all had 101inch wheel bases the CGT had much bigger wheels than on this vehicle.

Is the serial number on the door original? And what about First Canadian Army marking and the Royal Canadian Artillery unit serial 79? I would say they are fake as I can't find such a low number of a RCA unit to go with a Higher Formation badge of the First Canadian Army in NW Europe

Have you any history of when it was first registered or previous owners to check out?

The body certainly does look strange but does not look particularly new. The rear lights look to be more modern replacements and may have replaced separate units judging by the holes. I suppose it could just be a truck that was put together by the Army post war but I cannot understand why they would have built a cab like you have when No 13 cabs were still around. So it could be some kind of civilian garage owner type conversion to produce a pick up / breakdown truck from a C8

Last edited by Larry Hayward; 11-03-05 at 23:09.
Old 23-02-05, 23:36
MLU Administrator

Hi Jimmy,

This is a converted C8A HUP 8-cwt, it was offered for sale on MilWeb a while ago. Great if you have a spare HUP body, if not forget it and keep searching for a real 15-cwt.

Good luck,
cheers,
Hanno
Old 23-02-05, 23:41

Thanks very much guys, I think I will take Hanno's advice and keep looking, there is another one with my name on it somewhere, I'm sure.
One other question though, there are no cab vents, is this peculiar to HUP cabs ?
Old 24-02-05, 05:08
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Cab vents

Quote:
Originally posted by Jimmy
Thanks very much guys, I think I will take Hanno's advice and keep looking, there is another one with my name on it somewhere, I'm sure.
One other question though, there are no cab vents, is this peculiar to HUP cabs ?
No, more likely peculiar to someone who has replaced the panels in a rebuild.

I'd keep looking too.

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 24-02-05, 12:12
former Resident Historian

Default Rego

I checked to see if I had the original registration records. The truck was registered in East Sussex County Council in May 1957, although the number was not included on the diskette I have been sent. If this was a new ex-WD registration, does this suggest that it was in service until the mid-Fifties and then auctioned off?
Old 24-02-05, 20:42

Default chevrolet HUW

Hi

I had a look over this truck a few owners ago back in 1984. Its converted 1942 wire 1 HUW. I remember the cab was quite complete, but fuel tanks and obvioulsy body work were a problem.

for interests sake at that time the asking price was £1500 and the vehicle was located in Devon. It had previously come from the Northampton are where the owner had paid £600..

It has since changed hands a couple of times.. where is it now?

regards to all

nick
Old 24-02-05, 22:05

Thanks Nick, The truck is now in the North East of England, it sure gets about a bit.
Old 24-02-05, 22:08
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Jimmy, what about this one?
Quote:
CMP Chevrolet 1943
Good body work, runs. £2000 o.n.o
07711248787 or 01434 322198
Paul 31 January '05
But you'll be looking for a Ford anyway, don't you?

Cheers,
Hanno
Old 24-02-05, 22:24

I saw that one on milweb a little while back, and I was sure it would be sold. On the off chance I just phoned, it may yet be sold , but the prospective buyer has not been in contact for over a week so the owner is going to e-mail me any other pictures and info he has aboout the truch, and I'll get first chance if the sale does not get completed.
Once again thank you Hanno.
Old 24-02-05, 22:30
MLU Administrator

Quote:
I'll get first chance if the sale does not get completed.
My pleasure, Jimmy.
If you're looking for a Chev, those C15A's Gordon told us about might be still for sale in Scotland?

H.
Old 24-02-05, 23:01

I've just had a call back from the owner of the Chevy that was on milweb, turns out there is no rear body on it either, I had been used as a fertiliser spreader, and it is not running at the moment, so I'll keep looking.
Old 25-02-05, 07:40

Default Ford /GM for Sale

Jimmy , there is also still a Ford LAAT for sale in Belgium , it is ex French Navy Nato Stock (still with dated tyres ) And there is as well a C15TA and a C60 Telephone maintenance for sale at the same place. Contact me and I can give you an Address.
Maurice
Old 25-02-05, 10:06

Default Hamish still has those two C15A's

01324-826604 and ask for Hamish Taylor. (Denny, Stirlingshire)

The cargo truck is original except for a Bedford 28HP engine and a rear winch from another CMP variant.

The water tank truck is an original cab, chassis, and running gear with a Morris Commercial 200 gallon tank

The cargo truck would be roadworthy with minimum work, up to you if you swap the engine back to original or just tinker with it to find out where some of the horses are hiding.

Gordon
Old 25-02-05, 18:46

Thank you Maurice and Gordon for the information. I will start making enquiries the start of next week, I hate to bother people at the weekend.
Old 25-02-05, 19:40
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

I've seen Hamish's trucks, and they're worth picking up as a set. Both need some work but really not too much.

Regards what Maurice mentioned, the ex-French vehicles are remarkable... they were delivered to the French who didn't want them (because the steering wheels were on the wrong side), stored properly and driven for about 50 km per annum (then re-stored till the next year). They're the closest thing to "new" CMPs you'll ever see.
Old 27-02-05, 09:04
MLU Administrator

Default Re: Ford /GM for Sale

Quote:
Originally posted by Maurice Donckers
Jimmy , there is also still a Ford LAAT for sale in Belgium , it is ex French Navy Nato Stock (still with dated tyres )
Here's a pic of it. Once a Ford, always a Ford, eh Jimmy?

Hanno

Click image for larger version

Name:	f60slaat.jpg
Views:	430
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	4566
Old 27-02-05, 14:46
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Geoff Winnington-Ball
Regards what Maurice mentioned, the ex-French vehicles are remarkable... they were delivered to the French who didn't want them (because the steering wheels were on the wrong side), stored properly and driven for about 50 km per annum (then re-stored till the next year). They're the closest thing to "new" CMPs you'll ever see.
Geoff, Jimmy's 1944 Ford F60S LAAT was one of those ex-French reserve stock CMPs, sadly it was lost in the blaze which destroyed a hangar full of vintage vehicles. It´s census number was CH5582457, and apart from the ones listed above, it featured in several threads on this forum: CMP LAAT on eBay; F60S for sale. Really sad this fine CMP was lost in a blaze.

Jimmy, was anything salvageable left of your Ford?

Hanno

Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0138r.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	27044
http://www.tralay.demon.co.uk/PICT0138r.jpg - source
Old 27-02-05, 19:37

Quote:
Jimmy, was anything salvageable left of your Ford?
I'm not really sure if there is anything salvageable Hanno, maybe things like the front bumper, canvas hoops etc., but most of the tinwork is buckled. Much of the engine has melted, well the alloy parts anyway. The heat was pretty intense, so I would imagine that all seals will have melted in the engine and the axles. I really don't know. I have never been back to look at it again, one time was enough.
Still no reply from the insurance company, so apart from finding vehicles that are available for sale ther is nothing more I can do at the moment.
Old 05-03-05, 22:28
MLU Administrator

Quote:
I'm not really sure if there is anything salvageable Hanno, maybe things like the front bumper, canvas hoops etc., but most of the tinwork is buckled.
Jimmy, sad to see this fine example of a CMP end like this. If I can see correctly, even the timber fillers between the chassis and rear body have been burnt. I have written off the engine etc., but was hoping some of the sheetmetal was salvageable? I guess if the insurance company pays out they will end up owning it - and scrapping the residue?!?

H.
Old 05-03-05, 22:29
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Hanno Spoelstra
This is a converted C8A HUP 8-cwt, it was offered for sale on MilWeb a while ago.
And here it is again:
Quote:
1943 Canadian CMP Chevrolet HUW
Fully restored/as new tyres/excellent condition. Exempt road fund tax/mot (only being sold to fund Churchill Tank restoration) £6000.
01289 388431
Malcolm 04 March '05

http://www.milweb.net/classifieds/classpics/17508.jpg
Old 09-03-05, 22:57
malcolm erik bogaert

Default Ca8 Huw

Im the chap with the |CA8 HUW recently discussed on the forum! I have never said it was a C15 vehicle is as I bought it from a respected collector in Devon.Unit marking and numbers on doors were on vehicle when he bought same in the early 90's. vehicle runs and drives very nice,with regard to the body he was told it came from another Chevrolet.Vehicle I believe was releaded by the British Army in the 50's and was used as a small breakdown for a small garage before being restored by person or persons unknown.I have just been given a wartime Churchill Tank by MOD so need to dispose of this little vehicle to help with restoration costs.hope that this explains all.regards malcolm
Old 10-03-05, 21:05
malcolm erik bogaert

Default Chevrolet 1943

I had the Chevrolet out todat for a little run as I had to make room for low Loader comming with my free T55 MBT and ex Soviet D-3o howitzer these were captured by RRF in Gulf War 1. these were stored at MAT Beverley which is now closed,I was also made a gift of a nice Dingo (minus engine and G/Box) but some swine had pinched same/however we are looking!!
anyway back to the Chevrolet here are the plate details;

GENERAL MOTORS OF CANADA LTD.
CHASSIS MODEL; C.HU-441-m cab model;13
Chassis no: 3844516525.
Engine Serial: FR3945762
Order No: LV.1697
Date of MFC. Dec 13/43

hope that you can make something of this! I realy think that this is my lucky day!!! Im told I can apply for Loterry Funding for restoration of Churchill so Ill probably not need to sell my little Chev after all! regards mally.
Old 11-03-05, 09:03
former Resident Historian

Default C8A

The data plate shows that it is a C8A HUP to Canadian Contract CDLV 1697, assembled in Oshawa 13 December 1943, and then I assume it was shipped to the UK for assembly. I know of a another CDLV 1697 contract C8A, assembled several months later in '44.
Old 11-03-05, 15:03
malcolm erik bogaert

Default CA8

Thanks for that info I have found a larger 3 ton model very local to my area (15 miles) which was used by a local contractor to spead lime owner says he might sell to me !This truck has been retro fitted with Bedford petrol engine,He bought this truck from Ministry Disposal office in the early fifties.cheers mally
Old 12-03-05, 09:47

Default Re: Ford /GM for Sale

Quote:
Originally posted by Maurice Donckers
Jimmy , there is also still a Ford LAAT for sale in Belgium , it is ex French Navy Nato Stock (still with dated tyres )
Maurice, what would the asking price for the ex-French Navy Ford LAAT be? I think it would look cute in front of my Bofors, and I know for a fact that there were Ford Canada trucks in wartime Malta, even though I have no proof that there were any LAATs.

By the way, what would the French Navy have been doing with the LAAT?
Old 31-10-07, 15:26

Default What do I do? Help me please. I have a C8A!

Hi Everyone,

I shall first introduce myself. I am a new member called Jeremy based just north east of Oxford (UK).

I have been meaning to write on this forum for such a long time, but unfortuantely have never had the oportunity to write something of significance.

I have recently purchased a C8A (see photo) which has unfortunately had a very potted history so far. The data plates in the cab refer to the vehicle as being a wireless body. As you will be able to see from the photos the original rear of the truck has been removed and replaced with a home fabricated GS body little resemblance to anything I have yet seen on the back of a CMP. The back of the cab has had a centre bulkhead put into it rather than cab back by a previous owner, probably in the hope of one day putting a HUP body onto her again.

Since owning the C8 I have completed a partial restoration of the cab front in an effort to tidy up the body a little. Unfortuantely I also made the mistake of getting a canvas cover made up for the body, which could become outdated quite quickly if I need to modify anything.

The question is "what do I do?" Do I leave her as she is? Which would be the less ideal option for all, especially for the CMP. Do I try and get some drawings for a wireless body? Or would it be feasable to obtain proper cab back and convert a conventional cab (13)? - I realise though that this is a C8 and I am not sure as whether any C8's with the lighter axles etc were ever made with a conventional cab of this type?

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Jeremy.

p.s Truck has been renamed "Harry"
Attached Thumbnails
n560930629_449874_9507.jpg  
Old 31-10-07, 16:18
MLU Administrator

Default Re: What do I do? Help me please. I have a C8A!

Quote:
Originally posted by jeremyv
I shall first introduce myself. I am a new member called Jeremy based just north east of Oxford (UK).
I have recently purchased a C8A (see photo) which has unfortunately had a very potted history so far.
Hi Jeremy,

Welcome to this forum and congratulations on your CMP purchase!

We have seen “Harry” already on this forum:

Linked from CMPs for sale in England

Quote:
The question is "what do I do?" Do I leave her as she is? Which would be the less ideal option for all, especially for the CMP. Do I try and get some drawings for a wireless body? Or would it be feasable to obtain proper cab back and convert a conventional cab (13)? - I realise though that this is a C8 and I am not sure as whether any C8's with the lighter axles etc were ever made with a conventional cab of this type?
I think you have three options:

1) Rebuild it as a HUW, Heavy Utility Wireless. This has basically the same body as the HUP, Heavy Utility Personnel. Nothing is impossible, but rebuilding such a body from scratch is a major undertaking.

2) Rebuild it as a C8AX, the New-Zealand GS version. Plans for the GS body are available.

Linked from C8AX production

3) Rebuild it as an "Indian Pattern" C8A. You will have to reconstruct the wooden rear body from scratch with little information available (a few photos on this forum), but that will give you a lot of “artistic license”.

Linked from CMPs used in Burma by RAF

As you see there are plenty of options - let us know on which one you decide!

Regards,
Hanno

P.S. The easiest option is of course to leave it as it is and enjoy driving it. . .
Old 31-10-07, 22:06
Jeremy

Smile Ah Ha !!!! another Jeremy

From one Jeremy to another, Welcome to the forum I,m better known as rampant rivet on here and am coming towards a four year restoration of a C15. I live in Gloucestershire not too far from you.
Good luck in whatever version you decide to build, with determination and time anything is possible you will find here a wealth of knowledge and advice to help you along ( I should know )

RR.

:witch :witch :witch