MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > Your Relatives

Notices

Old 18-06-17, 04:29

Default Searching for details about the Canadian base at Eastbourne

My wife and I will be visiting the UK this September trying to fill in some gaps in our family histories.
We plan to visit Eastbourne where my late father was seriously wounded in a German air raid the night of August 9-10, 1942.
Private John Robert Bristow (Bob), served with No 9 Canadian Field Ambulance RCAMC and was working in the Orderly Room when the air raid struck.
8 of 11 men in his company were killed. The other 3 were seriously wounded, including my father.
I would like to visit the site if it still exists.
- What records are there of the Canadian base in Eastbourne in 1942?
- Are there any traces of it left?
- Where would I go to find details of the raid?
- Are there perchance any others who remember that fateful period?
Like so many others, my father didn't talk much about the war. I only learned about his wartime experiences when I stumbled upon a long letter he wrote to a friend in 1994 detailing his history.
Old 18-06-17, 05:41

Hello Phil.

Interesting topic. It is my understanding a good portion of the Eastbourne area was evacuated during the war due to the extensive German bombing of the area. A large number of Canadian Troops were stationed there leading up to D-Day, but they may not necessarily have been in a single 'Camp' location. Rather, I think they may have been billeted throughout the area.

You might want to try contacting the Eastbourne Local History Society with the information about your Dad that you have and they might be able to help.

Good luck and keep us posted.

David
Old 18-06-17, 16:16

Hi Phil

http://www.eastbournehistory.org.uk/

Good luck.

regards
darrell
Old 19-06-17, 03:50

Thanks for your replies David & Darrell,
I'll follow through with the link to the Eastbourne Historic Society.
Dad mentioned being stationed at Nutfield Abbey in his letter.
He doesn't give the exact date of his deployment to Eastbourne, except that he was there when the raid occurred.
After my post yesterday, I discovered that a book was written in 2006 about Canadians in Eastbourne during WWII. That may be helpful as well.

I understand that Canadian military records are locked for 75 years after the war. That makes it 2020 before I can see my father's file and finally fill in the gaps he only refers to in his letter.

Phil
Old 19-06-17, 04:50

Phil. The 75 year rule only applies to general public release of the records.

You can apply for a copy of your Father's Army Service Records at any time, for a fee, since you are his Son. They keep dinking around with the rules, so I would suggest having a copy of your Father's Death Certificate, in case you are asked, and his Service Number will speed up the search immensely. You should be able to find all the current requirements on line.

David
Old 19-06-17, 13:35

Default WWII Military Service Records

Thank You for your good information David.
I've found the address on the Gov't of Canada website.
I've also found an updated copy of Canucks by the Sea through the excellent Eastbourne Historical Society.
I'll let you know how things turn out.
Phil
Old 08-08-17, 18:16

Thank you for all your help. Last week, was amazing. I received a number of helpful replies from The Historical Society and especially from Nat Gonella and Michael Ockenden, who wrote, "Canucks by the Sea". We will have a rich and meaningful visit to Eastbourne on September 19, including a possible interview with The Herald and the Historical Society.
Old 08-08-17, 23:31

From the same raid, in the book "Front Line Eastbourne". No mention of the Canadians, though civillian casualties in the same raid were Mrs. M. Taylor, Mrs W. E. Walker and Miss S. Boucher.

There's a photo of the burnt out St. Anne's church hit in the same raid with incendiaries, but alas I can't seem to upload it.

Last edited by Lauren Child; 08-08-17 at 23:40.
Old 09-08-17, 05:05

Thanks Lauren,
Another book for me to check out. The Eastbournians (?) kept excellent records even during such painful times, as their city and friends were under attack.

Please let me know if you come across the names of the Canadian casualties that night. Dad had typed them on a small square of paper surrounded by photos and other war memorabilia that were framed over his desk for many years. Every Remembrance Day he added another poppy until the frame was just about encircled. Unfortunately, the paper is lost.