MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > Post-war Military Vehicles

Notices

Old 30-08-17, 22:53

Default M38A1CDN2 Alternator Mounts

The M38A1CDN2 uses a 60 amp alternator instead of the earlier U.S. models's generator. I have a early large U.S. M-Series 60 amp one that came off a 2 1/2 ton army truck. Does the alternator use the same mounts as the earlier M38A1 generators did?..If not, can the earlier generator mounts be modified to work with the alternators in its mounting? Or who might have the correct mounting brackets? Thanks

Richard Mix
M38A1CDN2
CFR 67-07832
7105 96879
Old 30-08-17, 23:50

Hi Richard,
I'm not sure if I understand correctly; are you switching from the alternator to a generator? Or did you find another alternator that you want to put on your jeep? If you are switching from alternator to generator, you will also need the voltage regulator from the early model vehicle setup.

I can check the bracket width for the alternator if that is what you need.
Old 31-08-17, 01:05
carrier mech

The 60 amp alternator will swap with the 25 amp generator. The pulleys, if different, will also swap. The CF replaced a raft of the different vehicles generators with the alternators. This included the gas 5 tons, the M37, the M135 (if neccessary), and even the ferret scout car was changed over.

Note that the nameplates on the alternators will usually be "generator, alternating currency", which in fact means an alternator. Note also that the primary stock number (2920-00-909-2483 IIRC) covers a number of different manufacturers products, including some with an AC tap for the tachometers.

As Wayne mentioned, the regulators (or lack thereof) may vary depending on what you are installign, including the 100 amp alternator which required the regulator. Note that when you are using the 60 amp alternator, you require full field voltage to the small wire or the alternator will overcharge.
Old 31-08-17, 02:13
Brian Asbury

I think there is a difference between the mount for the 60Amp alternator and the mount for the 25 Amp generator but I can't confirm that until I do a bit more digging.
Old 31-08-17, 05:45

I am in the process of building a new 2nd engine for my CDN2. It will be set up with the 3 belt pulley system. This engine has just come back from the machine shop where it was totally rebuilt, new camshaft, pistons, valves, oil pump, lifters the complete works. But when I first got it, it did not have a generator or alternator, nor the mounting brackets attached to it. So to be correct for the CDN2, I need to mount a 60amp alternator onto the engine. There comes the question can the M-Series alternator be mounted on the engine using the mounts that are available from Midwest Military, Army Jeep Parts or others which are for earlier 1950s M38A1s that use a generator instead of an alternator? Are these generator mounts comparable with mounting an alternator on an engine to used for a Canadian CDN2?? Thanks
Richard Mix
Old 31-08-17, 05:54
carrier mech

There were some minor differences, including a modification to a sliding tube for one of the lower brackets (which always seem to seize up anyway), but as I mentioned, the generators are fairly interchangeable. It will work despite some design differences.

I likely have some spares of the mounts out in the shed if you can't find something closer.
Old 31-08-17, 23:36

Rob,
OK I just verified the Stock # is 2920-00-909-2483, manufactured by Leece-Neville, Cleveland Ohio. So I do have the correct alternator for my CDN2.
I also contacted a couple of the military parts companies, and they are not sure if their mounting brackets will work on the alternator. So if you can check your shed for all the correct parts, I will take a set from you..send me a message and we can work out the details...Thank You Richard