MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 01-06-04, 06:59
Vets Dottir

Question Hanno?

For someone who is in charge now and wanted to be "bad" and party... you sure are good and quiet?
Old 01-06-04, 09:45
MLU Administrator

Default Re: Hanno?

Trying very hard to get work finished so I can get to Normandy on Friday...
Old 01-06-04, 10:54
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Re: Hanno?

Quote:
Originally posted by Hanno Spoelstra
Trying very hard to get work finished so I can get to Normandy on Friday...
Oh... that's an acceptable reason then I'll be with all of you there in spirit.... while I hope to be attending the ceremonies at our Parliament Buildings June 6th ... there's a parade as well. Will probably be going by my lonesome unless I can beg a relative to come along for the experience... and the seeds of awareness and knowledge planted

Old 01-06-04, 11:22
MLU Administrator

Default Re: Re: Re: Hanno?

Quote:
Originally posted by V_D
while I hope to be attending the ceremonies at our Parliament Buildings June 6th ... there's a parade as well.
You'll see more of the official commemorations than us mortals in Normandy, where anything official will be highly guarded because of all the government officials attending...but it's the spirit that counts!

H.
Old 01-06-04, 12:50
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Hanno?

Quote:
You'll see more of the official commemorations than us mortals in Normandy, where anything official will be highly guarded because of all the government officials attending...but it's the spirit that counts!
I feel like this (these) whole event is PERSONAL MEMORIAL SEVICES and wish only military, family and friends would attend ... although I guess lots of politicians served or had family, close friends serve. Ah well ... th majority of people there are thre for the right reasons, and coming from the right places.

I'm not "religous" in the traditional organized sense, but I think wishes and prayer are often one and the same ... I wish for nothing to disrupt or interfere with the cermonies in any, way, shape, or form.

I'm glad you'll be there.

Carman
Old 01-06-04, 14:46
Senior Forum Member

Question Sunray and Hanno in Normandy.........

If both Sunray and Hanno are in Normandy over the weekend...........who's making sure that we're playing nice here..................or are we being left on our own for the weekend......... : ............this should be interesting.....
Old 01-06-04, 14:56
Commonwealth NOT Europe

As I posted elsewhere Sunray has promised retribution heaped upon the heads of anyone who misbehaves whilst he is away, or so he told me Sunday. Mind you, if he can party away with the aftermath of several helpings of good single malt (and then accuse others of finishing his bottle up!) why the hell shouldn't the rest of us normally well-behaved MLUers enjoy ourselves as well.........

After all, he assures us that we are all his 'good personal friends' and who wouldn't invite their friends to a party..

A wasted youth is better by far than a wise and productive old age!! (Meatloaf)
Old 01-06-04, 15:04
MLU Administrator

Default Re: Sunray and Hanno in Normandy.........

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark W. Tonner
If both Sunray and Hanno are in Normandy over the weekend...........who's making sure that we're playing nice here..................or are we being left on our own for the weekend......... : ............this should be interesting.....
Well Mark, as you know geography is a non-issue on the internet....

But go ahead and feel free to go wild while we're out - who am I to deny you some fun? We can always delete your frantics after we get home, but you won't be able to remove the grins from our faces for months to come

Old 01-06-04, 15:14
Vets Dottir

Default Sigh...and HURRAH

We can kick up our heels and dance a jig or two.
Who can play the fiddle?

Hey MARK... Bring my cousins to the party ... and don't forget the nekkid guys with the kilts and bagpipes. Bagpipes and fiddles ... hmmm this could be fun even if a little hard on the ears (oh, and the eyes ... shave those Scots before you bring them!)

Ignore Hanno and and all the threats...
Old 01-06-04, 15:18
Senior Forum Member

Unhappy Re: Re: Sunray and Hanno in Normandy.........

Quote:
Well Mark, as you know geography is a non-issue on the internet....

But go ahead and feel free to go wild while we're out - who am I to deny you some fun? We can always delete your frantics after we get home, but you won't be able to remove the grins from our faces for months to come

Hear that Little Miss Yappy.....they could delete us....oh oh!......and there I was......gone.....poof.......oh well, one last before I go I guess.................

Cheers Hanno, have a good trip
Old 01-06-04, 15:37
Senior Forum Member

Default Re: Sigh...and HURRAH

Quote:
Originally posted by V_D
Who can play the fiddle?

Hey MARK... Bring my cousins to the party ... and don't forget the nekkid guys with the kilts and bagpipes. Bagpipes and fiddles ... hmmm this could be fun even if a little hard on the ears (oh, and the eyes ... shave those Scots before you bring them!)

But if they find out, they'll delete us and we'll be no more....I hung my hat behind the door.....and there it was.....GONE......poof....Gee!, I think, that they think, that we'll wreck the house or something.............who us.......No, Never.....:

Old 01-06-04, 16:06
Senior Forum Member

Wink Re: Sigh...and HURRAH

Quote:
Originally posted by V_D
Who can play the fiddle?

Your in for it know............the lads reaction when they where told of your request to attend said party.................: ......you better hope Hanno doesn't notice.....................
Attached Thumbnails
party.jpg  
Old 02-06-04, 09:29
Vets Dottir

Thumbs up Rock-n-Roll-On

Way to go Mark

Those guys look pretty decent after a shave... never would have know they're so young! And they don'tlook dour at all!!! (nice legs too!)

Who are these young men?

Old 02-06-04, 14:36
Senior Forum Member

Default Re: Rock-n-Roll-On

Quote:
Originally posted by V_D
Who are these young men?
1st Battalion, Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders (Princess Louise's)
Old 03-06-04, 02:36
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Default Canadain Vets...

Mark..
You seem to know your way around the regiments..I'm interested in the story of Padre Mike(?) Dalton...
I'm thinking he served with the Essex Scottish..
He's my wifes great uncle..Her sister just sent me an e-mail saying he just passed his 102 birthday..I believe he was the most highly decorated Canadian padre in WW2..
He may have been at Dunkirk and Normandy...???
Any leads would be appreciated..
I'll try to find out more from sister in law...He's still alive and in an old folks home around Goderich...I think..alive I know..
Old 03-06-04, 02:51
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Default Found him..

Check this guy ouy...My wife great uncle..

D-Day chaplain turns 102

TEVIAH MORO, Free Press Reporter 2004-05-06 03:03:37

A priest who delivered one of the last masses for Canadian soldiers before the D-Day invasion turned 102 yesterday, weeks before the battle's 60th anniversary. Rev. Michael Dalton is now confined to a wheelchair, but once he had to dodge bullets to deliver soldiers their last rites in battle.

Residents at the Caressant Care home for the aged in Courtland, near Tillsonburg, sang Happy Birthday to the decorated war chaplain yesterday at lunch.

Dalton had to tend to the emotional toll of a failed Canadian assault on Europe two years before D-Day, when Canadians were repulsed from the German-held beaches at Dieppe, France.

"Hundreds of them died," Dalton said of the casualties at Dieppe in 1942, where 907 soldiers died and 1,874 were taken prisoner.

His job was to write home to soldiers' families, notifying them of their deaths, Dalton said.

Born May 5, 1902, near Goderich, Dalton entered St. Peter's Seminary in London and was ordained a priest in 1932.

He was nearly 40 years old when he volunteered to go to war with the Essex Scottish Regiment in 1939. He returned home in 1946 and served as a pastor in Southwestern Ontario until his retirement in 1970.

An old photograph outside his room shows Dalton as a tall and handsome padre, delivering his last mass before the D-Day troops hit Juno beach on June 6, 1944.

Though he didn't accompany soldiers in the landings, he had many close calls on battlefields.

"The only weapon he ever carried was a crucifix," said caretaker and friend Michael Murray.

The brave chaplain was hit three times by shrapnel during his time overseas, twice while travelling in a jeep, Murray said.

Once near Caen, France, his jeep driver saved his life by taking the vehicle in for repairs, Dalton wrote in a meticulous diary he kept during the war.

Dalton had to sleep underground instead of in the jeep that night. Overnight, the enemy struck and obliterated the area.

"In the morning, I crawled out of (the) trench to find my hat pierced with shrapnel," he wrote.

Asked the secret to his longevity, his eyes twinkled. "God only knows," he said.

Copyright © The London Free Press 2001,2002,2003

http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/London...06/448516.html
Old 03-06-04, 17:09
Senior Forum Member

Default Re: Canadain Vets...

Quote:
Originally posted by Alex Blair
Mark..
You seem to know your way around the regiments..I'm interested in the story of Padre Mike(?) Dalton...
He's my wifes great uncle..Her sister just sent me an e-mail saying he just passed his 102 birthday..I believe he was the most highly decorated Canadian padre in WW2..
I'll try to find out more from sister in law...He's still alive and in an old folks home around Goderich...I think..alive I know..
Alex;

I'll see what I can dig up. Regarding pre-D-Day Mass - Essex Scots were in the 2nd Cdn Inf Div - 3rd Cdn Inf Div and 2nd Cdn Armd Bde were involved on D-Day - but he may have been serving with a unit of the 3rd Div by then.

Cheers
Old 04-06-04, 11:02
Richard Notton

Default Re: Sunray and Hanno in Normandy.........

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark W. Tonner
Steady. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

No chance of me being on a SUNRAY fizzer, be assured.

His alternate browser with THE Control Panel is here.

R.
SH.SC.
Old 04-06-04, 23:25
Vets Dottir

Talking R.

Don't let all this power go to your head Master R.
Remember, you're only here for a short time, not along time!

(PS: I'll bet it's nice and quiet at home now and lots of room in the ice-box?
Old 05-06-04, 01:02
Richard Notton

Default Re: R.

Quote:
Originally posted by V_D
Don't let all this power go to your head Master R.
Remember, you're only here for a short time, not along time!
Absolutely, I have to account for it all to the Grand Vizir of MLU, Mr. R R S Himself.

Quote:
(PS: I'll bet it's nice and quiet at home now and lots of room in the ice-box?
Quiet it indeed is, room there is still not. We have 6 large bottles of beer, one can and a box of wine stored therein for His return and these are not to be removed.

R.
SH.SC.
Old 05-06-04, 06:17
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Re: R.

Quote:
Originally posted by FV623
Quiet it indeed is, room there is still not. We have 6 large bottles of beer, one can and a box of wine stored therein for His return and these are not to be removed.

R.
SH.SC.
You could open a bar with that ... and the rye rye rye mentioned in another thread

I just have to smell the stuff and I'm three sheets to the wind.

He'll cry you know. When it's time to fly back over the ocean to Canader. Best be gentle with him, and just in case, be ready to drag him kicking and screaming to the plane, or find him a job in Jolly Old England ...

oooooooops THUNDER ... and it ain't a plane! Gotta go offline til the storm passes...
Old 06-06-04, 01:15
Senior Forum Member

Default Re: Canadain Vets...

Quote:
Originally posted by Alex Blair
Mark..
Alex;

Is this your wife's great uncle: Rev. W.L. Dalton, United Church.

Cheers
Old 12-06-04, 10:05
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default Re: Re: R.

Quote:
Originally posted by FV623
Bugger, bugger, bugger! If that even WAS true when we left for France, then HE drank it all in the interim! I'm mortified (and thirsty!)...
Old 12-06-04, 18:42
Richard Notton

Default Re: Re: Re: R.

Quote:
Originally posted by Geoff Winnington-Ball
Bugger, bugger, bugger! If that even WAS true when we left for France, then HE drank it all in the interim! I'm mortified (and thirsty!)...
I think you're confusing me with the chap that can plait sawdust.

R.