MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 01-07-04, 16:12
Senior Forum Member

Post Possible Award of a V.C. to British Private

Found this item and thought it may be of interest to some: A Private from the 1st Battalion, The Princess of Wales’s Royal Regiment, serving in Iraq, may be awarded the Victoria Cross, From the 1 Jul 04 Sun Online:

Pals want VC for firefight hero

By TOM NEWTON DUNN and JOHN KAY A SQUADDIE who saved the lives of 30 soldiers during a terrifying firefight in Iraq should be given the Victoria Cross, his comrades said last night. Troop carrier driver Private Johnston Beharry, 22, faced the ultimate fear as the lead driver of a patrol ambushed by rebels in Iraq. His Warrior personnel carrier was rocked by explosions and set on fire, his platoon CO was knocked out and presumed dead — and a gunner was consumed by flames. Yet thrusting open his hatch to peer through thick smoke, Pte Beharry SMASHED through a barricade thrown up by the extremists. And despite his Warrior being hit by a rocket-propelled grenade — and a rifle bullet hitting his helmet — he SAVED up to 30 soldiers’ lives by leading four following carriers through the enemy force. After reaching a British outpost, he PULLED his unconscious commander from the turret even though he was under constant machinegun and small arms fire. He EVACUATED other casualties from the vehicle, then returned to DRIVE it through the base’s perimeter. He then collapsed ... exhausted. Amazingly, the courageous Londoner did it all again during a second ambush sprung by rebels a fortnight ago. A rocket grenade exploded 1ft from his face, leaving him with terrible head wounds and a gaping shrapnel hole in his shoulder. Yet he still managed to summon the strength to reverse his Warrior 200 yards to safety. He passed out during the manoeuvre but his decisive action is thought to have saved the lives of the carrier’s crew — and his CO — for a second time.

Last night married Pte Beharry, who hails from the Caribbean isle of Grenada, was desperately ill after complex surgery to remove bone splinters from his brain. His family were at his bedside at Selly Oak Military Hospital near Birmingham. And like his comrades, they are praying he will pull through. Pte Beharry could now become the first VC recipient since the Falklands War. The cherished medal is the hardest in the world for servicemen to win. The Army never discusses bravery decorations until after they are made and the process of awarding one is shrouded in secrecy. But Pte Beharry’s platoon CO, 2nd Lt Richard Deane, is writing a citation to the MoD. And the squaddie’s actions are being seriously considered in senior circles as worthy of the Big One, according to military sources in London. Crucially, his deeds match the incredibly strict criteria that must be met before a VC can be awarded. A recipient must have a 90 per cent chance of being killed while carrying out the action. It must be witnessed throughout by a number of observers. And it has to be far above and beyond the normal call of duty. Pte Beharry’s first display of peerless courage came on May 1. The five Warriors from the 1st Battalion The Princess of Wales’s Royal Regiment, C Company, were called to the flashpoint town of Al Amarah.

A three-day battle for the town had erupted. And Allied soldiers were pinned down in a firefight with Shi’ite rebels from the Mehdi Army, the paramilitary group led by rogue cleric Moqtada al Sadr. The Sun has been given access to C Company’s official battle record. It reads: 2Lt Deane’s platoon had arrived at the outskirts of the city on their way to assist. As he looked north from Blue 6 (an intersection on a major Al Amarah road) he noticed the road was empty, a combat indicator of an ambush. He pushed on to Blue 7 to assess that road but was immediately hit by a number of explosions which engulfed the Warrior and rocked it. 2Lt Deane was knocked unconscious, thought dead, and the vehicle’s weapons systems disabled. Despite being on fire, the gunner Private Samuels attempted to engage the enemy with a rifle. The driver Private Beharry had no communications but was aware the crew compartment was on fire and they had taken casualties. He closed the driver’s hatch and moved forward to try to establish comms. As he reached a barricade the vehicle was hit again and filled with smoke. Private Beharry opened his hatch to clear his vision and decided the best course was to drive through the barricade and fight through the ambush, leading the remaining Warriors to relative safety.

As he moved off, he saw an RPG (rocket-propelled grenade) in flight towards him. He pulled his hatch down but the warhead struck on his periscope, destroying it. The blast was too much for him and forced the hatch open, passing over him down the driver’s tunnel and further injuring the gunner. Beharry now drove at speed through the 1.5km ambush with his hatch open, at one stage being struck in the helmet by a bullet. When he arrived at Cimic House (the British outpost), the vehicle still alight and under small arms fire, he moved on to the turret and, showing total disregard for his own safety, extracted his commander. He then went to the back of the vehicle and extracted injured soldiers there before remounting his still-burning vehicle and driving it within the perimeter of Cimic House to deny it to the enemy. He then finally pulled the fire extinguishers. He then collapsed with exhaustion. A comrade noticed Pte Beharry had a 7.62mm AK47 rifle bullet embedded in his helmet. The squaddie’s overall CO in Iraq, Lt Col Matt Mear, paid tribute to him last night.

He said: “To do what he did showed extraordinary courage. Hero is a grossly over-used term these days but he is a true hero.” In line with Army rules, he refused to discuss the soldier’s medal prospects. But he added: “I will be seeking recognition for many people in this battle group.” Platoon commander 2nd Lt Deane said: “Beharry is the most dependable private I’ve ever had. He is loyal, hard-working and has a genuinely appalling sense of humour, which was great for morale. “He has also saved my life twice and possibly the lives of the whole platoon. I can never forget that.” The squaddie’s doctors have told military chiefs that early signs for his survival are good. But the worst is not yet over. He cannot be awarded a VC until next April, when the Operational Honours list for which he could qualify is published.

Link to Story

Cheers

Last edited by Mark W. Tonner; 02-07-04 at 14:15.
Old 02-07-04, 06:29
Commonwealth NOT Europe

He should damn well get it as well. WELL DONE LAD !!
Here's to a speedy recovery.

A wasted youth is better by far than a wise and productive old age!! (Meatloaf)
Old 02-07-04, 14:07
Senior Forum Member

Post Re: Possible Award of a V.C. - Follow-Up Story

From the 2 Jul 04 Sun Online:

Hero comes out of coma

By JOHN KAY and TOM NEWTON DUNN, Defence Editor

A HERO squaddie who is in line for the Victoria Cross after saving 30 comrades came out of a coma yesterday.

Private Johnston Beharry, 24, was critically injured during a second ambush when he rescued more soldiers.

But yesterday he regained consciousness after surgery to remove bone splinters from his brain and fit a metal plate to the top of his head.

The Sun yesterday revealed exclusively how Private Beharry rescued 30 squaddies by leading a convoy of personnel carriers through barricades in Iraq, despite being hit by a rocket-propelled grenade.

Two weeks later he suffered horrific head wounds when a grenade exploded inches from his face. Now his name is being put forward for the Victoria Cross — our highest gallantry award.
Last night his sister Jackie, 28, said: “My brother is a hero and should definitely get the VC.”

Wife Lynthia, 23, of Southampton, added: “I’m not surprised by what he did. Johnston loves to help others. I am so proud of him.”

Link to Story

Cheers

Last edited by Mark W. Tonner; 02-07-04 at 14:19.
Old 03-07-04, 02:40
Senior Forum Member

Post Re: Possible Award of a V.C. - More Follow-Up

From the Sun Online:

Squaddie must get VC

By JOHN KAY
Chief Reporter

THE leading expert on the Victoria Cross last night backed calls for an Iraq hero to get the top gallantry gong.

Military historian Max Arthur has studied all 1,354 VCs ever awarded — and insists that Private Johnston Beharry richly deserves one.

Mr Arthur said of Beharry’s stunning courage in an ambush: “What more does he have to do to win a VC — cut his legs off?

“This was not a war situation but Private Beharry was in a fire-fight and being shot at by an enemy, so it amounts to the same thing. His heroism deserves to be recognised.”

The Sun revealed exclusively how Londoner Beharry, 22, saved 30 comrades by leading a convoy of Warrior personnel carriers through barricades in Al Amarah, after his vehicle was hit by a rocket-propelled grenade.

He then pulled his injured commanding officer from the turret while under fire.

Two weeks later Beharry received head wounds while performing a similar feat. His comrades and officers in the Princess of Wales’s Royal Regiment are convinced he earned a VC.

Mr Arthur agreed: “The criteria for the VC talks of a conspicuous act of bravery. I can’t think of a better case.”

Modest Beharry, recovering in hospital, told a senior officer: “I don’t know what all the fuss is about.”

Link to Story

Cheers
Old 07-07-04, 07:58
Vets Dottir

Thumbs up Wow!

Amazing story! I hope the VC comes through for him. And I hope he pulls through and recovers well. Head/brain injuries... yikes. I'll keep my fingers crossed for him ... hope hope hope. We need MORE people with his attitudes and behaviors in the world!

So ... someone PLEASE explain "Squaddie" to me. What is a Squaddie?

Also ... my ignorance showing here ... the last VC was given out for the Falklands? WHEN was that?
(I'll also have to search for those VC posts again and re-read them. )

Carman
Old 07-07-04, 15:01
Senior Forum Member

Default Re: Wow!

Quote:
Originally posted by V_D
Amazing story! I hope the VC comes through for him. And I hope he pulls through and recovers well. Head/brain injuries... yikes. I'll keep my fingers crossed for him ... hope hope hope. We need MORE people with his attitudes and behaviors in the world!

So ... someone PLEASE explain "Squaddie" to me. What is a Squaddie?

Also ... my ignorance showing here ... the last VC was given out for the Falklands? WHEN was that?
(I'll also have to search for those VC posts again and re-read them. )

Carman
Oh Boy, here we go again........

1. - "Squaddie" - British slang for a Soldier
2. - "When was the Falklands War" - 1982
3. - Last V.C.'s awarded - for action during the Falklands War -

Lt.-Col. H. Jones, 2nd Battalion, The Parachute Regiment - Posthumous award - he was killed in action
Sgt. I.J. McKay - 3rd Battalion, The Parachute Regiment - Posthumous award - he was killed in action

Lesson Ends......

Cheers
Old 07-07-04, 15:45
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default Re: Squaddies et al

Karmen,

First of all, the Victoria Cross is the world's most prestigious valour award. Go here:

http://www.victoriacross.net/default.asp

... and be prepared to spend DAYS surfing the site. It's truly sobering.

Now, as Marko said, 'squaddie' is simply a moniker for a member of a rifle section (in the U.S. a rifle squad, although we don't use the term), and in British parliance, is interchangeable with the term 'Tom' - as in an officer talking about his Toms (which evolved from the term 'Tommy', or 'Tommie'). They are the salt of the earth, and the backbone of the British Army.
Old 08-07-04, 05:41
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Re: Wow!

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark W. Tonner
Oh Boy, here we go again........ Lesson Ends......

Cheers
Thank you Squaddie
Old 08-07-04, 05:55
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Re: Squaddies et al

Quote:
Originally posted by Geoff Winnington-Ball
Karmen,

First of all, the Victoria Cross is the world's most prestigious valour award. ...
(Squaddie's)They are the salt of the earth, and the backbone (of the Army) ...
Thanks G. After the 16th I'll be able to explore the VC site as much as I desire ... regards "Squaddies" of any Army ... aren't soldiers THE Army? PERIOD. They're the ones who do the actions that count. It's easy to create a plan and give orders. It's not easy to be a soldier/squaddie ... they are special breeds pulling off special deeds. It all has value, but laying yourself on the line has even more.

I still don't GET how so many soldiers can be treated like crap by their higher ups, before, during and after a war/service, who should KNOW better, the higher value... I'd salute a soldier before I'd salute a BIG CHEESE, unless the big cheese got into the muck too! Ah well ... what do I know?

I ain't as Left-Coast as some would like to tease

Thanks G.
Old 12-07-04, 09:54

Default Base Details

Hi Carman
Perhaps you already know it but I thought you might be interested to read this poem by Siegfried Sassoon

BASE DETAILS.
IF I were fierce,and bald,and short of breath,
I'd live with scarlet Majors at the base,
And speed glum heroes up the line to death.
You'd see me with my puffy petulant face,
Guzzling and gulping in the best hotel,
Reading the Roll of Honour.'Poor young chap',
I'd say -'I used to know his farther well'.
Yes,we've lost heavily in this last scrap'.
And when the war is done and youth stone dead,
I'd toddle safely home and die--in bed.
Old 12-07-04, 10:35
Vets Dottir

Hi Carman
Perhaps you already know it but I thought you might be interested to read this poem by Siegfried Sassoon BASE DETAILS ...

... And when the war is done and youth stone dead, I'd toddle safely home and die--in bed.
------------

Hi Matt.

No. I don't know the poem, but it's certainly powerful. Those last two lines strike me ... and make me think, yet again, how unaware so many people are that what was done and sacrificed by others is responsible for MAKING toddling safely home to die in bed even a possibility. It took someone elses effort to turn that into a possibility, then a probability, and it takes effort and sacrifce to protect and maintain. Nothing happens in isolation?

Blood, sweat, and tears ...
Old 12-07-04, 12:19
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Default Old men....

Carmen...
There is an old very true saying...
"Old men start wars..
Young men fight them.."
If it was the other way around,there would be no more war..
Old 12-07-04, 21:25
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Old men....

Quote:
Originally posted by Alex Blair
Carmen...
There is an old very true saying...
"Old men start wars..
Young men fight them.."
If it was the other way around,there would be no more war..
Yeah. It appears so, I fear.

Starlight
Star bright
First star I see tonite
I wish I may
I wish I might
Have the wish
I wish tonite ...

I wish ... that the world be right.

What a way to live and die.

I've just been talking with someone whose brother was killed just outside of Bahgdad ... a US Marine