MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > Post-war Military Vehicles

Notices

Old 31-07-17, 02:13

Default �� Wrenching on the Canadian Bombardier Iltis

�� Wrenching on the Canadian Bombardier Iltis:

I am working on the replacement of a complete exhaust system on a 1986 Canadian Bombardier Iltis. This is the newer stainless steel exhaust manifold pipe; muffler; and tailpipe. On several Iltis, I have seen what looks like a "made in the shop" heat shield that was put over the rear tailpipe, where it drops down close to the gas tank, and then makes its way to the rear tail light bumper.

The heat shields I have seen appear to be made up using three muffler clamps, with the bolts and saddle mounted at the bottom, and the curve at the top. The heat shields appear to be made of sheet metal, with three holes that are used to MIG weld onto the top of the muffler clamps. I have seen several versions, one just using flat sheet metal, and another, where the sheet metal was bent downwards at the edge, with a 1/4 - 1/2 inch lip on both long sides to stiffen the sheet metal and curve it down from the gas tank.

Any comments on the manufacture of these heat shields? Was there an official modification for this, or was it considered good practice?

Cheers!
Stuart

Last edited by Stuart Fedak; 31-07-17 at 03:38.
Old 31-07-17, 04:36
carrier mech

I remember something about that, but have managed to flush most of the Iltis from my memory. I think it was either a mod or an advice.
Old 27-08-17, 05:52

Stuart,
The Iltis we just restored has this heat shield on the tail pipe made with flat sheet metal. Mileage is about 40k km and the piping is probably original based on its condition.

Malcolm