MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > Your Relatives

Notices

Old 17-11-09, 22:27
Rick

Default Burma prisoner transport

Have a friend who wears a her grandfathers medals to remembrance Sunday. One of them is the Burma Star, but he was lost at sea. Im wondering if he was a POW on board one of the prisoner freighters transferring POWs to Burma. I cant remember what the freighter was called, but do recall one being torpedoed by the US. Can anyone tell me what the ship was called and if there are any links to the men lost on board?
Old 17-11-09, 22:50

Default Montevideo Maru?

Hello Rick W

Google this: " Montevideo Maru "; it may be the ship that you mentioned.

Also, search the Australian War Memorial: WWW.AWM.GOV.AU

Regards,

Bruce G
Sydney, Aust.

Last edited by Bruce Gilbert; 17-11-09 at 22:51. Reason: Typo
Old 18-11-09, 14:03
Rick

Thanks bruce. The Maru bit jogged my memory. It was the Rakuyo Maru I was looking for.
Old 21-11-09, 05:48
Terry Warner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick W View Post
Have a friend who wears a her grandfather's medals to Remembrance Sunday. ...
There is a Criminal Code Offence against doing that in Canada. I've had to relay the unfortunate news to a good friend who pinned his grandfather's WWII medals on his young son. I doubt any cop would enforce it, but I guess the rule is there to prevent imposters.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!
Old 21-11-09, 07:40
"Sid and Errol's Dad"

Default Medals

Quote:
Originally Posted by maple_leaf_eh View Post
There is a Criminal Code Offence against doing that in Canada. I've had to relay the unfortunate news to a good friend who pinned his grandfather's WWII medals on his young son. I doubt any cop would enforce it, but I guess the rule is there to prevent imposters.
In Australia...."General Wearing of Medals : War medals are not freely available for wear by all. Medals are only to be worn by those to whom the medal has been conferred. The only exception to this ruling occurs on Remembrance Day and Anzac Day. On these two occasions, descendants may wear the medals of deceased recipients but only on the right breast". Funny, I always thought that this was an 'international' standard. Source: Armed Services Assistance Centre Inc Website.
F15 #12
F15A #13 (stretched)
F60S #13
C15A #13 Wireless (incomplete)
Old 21-11-09, 15:44
Terry Warner

Default Medals

There is a perception that descendants, like in Australia, can wear medals on Nov 11. It is not permitted by law, and is discouraged by the Legion in their dress regulations. << http://www.rcl554.webcentre.ca/dress.html >> The GG says no << http://www.gg.ca/document.aspx?id=71 >>, and DND says no << http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/dhr-...dex-eng.asp#q9 >>

At the risk of offending sincere emotion, let me suggest that this sentiment gives parades the appearance of a reunion of Soviet admirals. There are veterans and others who have legitimate orders, gallantry, campaign, service medals on the left breast; and members of the Royal Canadian Legion or Army Navy Air Force Veterans, wear their positional service medals on the right. I don't support non-veterans wearing someone else's medals, even on the right side.

My father had a modest Militia career with an exceptional service shooting record. His two-medal and six-bar set was evaluated at over C$10,000 on the auction market. He earned them; not me or my son or my neice, and I wouldn't let someone else wear them. What is the difference if one of us was to claim his educational postnomial letters?

There is grumbling in the press whenever a significant set of medals comes up for auction. Although the sales are legal, families have to argue that the medals are not public property, but a deceased person's effects.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!