MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MLU ADMIN > TAC HQ

Notices

Old 08-08-12, 10:02

Default Scammers on MLU

Back in April I posted a wanted ad for dropsides, tailgate and spare rim for a Horndraulic dog trailer built in Australia. http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=18210

Within a week I had someone claiming thet they had all the parts I need in the UK.

Firstly I can not see anyone shipping NOS tailgate and dropsides to the UK on the off chance someone will buy them.

Checking the supposed address on "Google Streetview" the address turns out to be a costume hire company. Requests for photos of the available parts and information about the company at the address bear no fruit.

Sounds very much like a scammer, but he keeps coming back, again today.

Has anyone else been subject to scammers for ads posted on this site?

Diana
Old 08-08-12, 21:57
MLU Administrator

Dianaa,

I'm sorry to hear that. Apparently there are a lot of scammers about, on sites like milweb.net sellers are asking prospective buyers to provide details like land lines. These days it's no longer "buyer beware", but also "seller beware".

You did well by posting an email link, rather than just your plain email address. It's the first line of defense against software looking for email addresses. Maybe the best protection against scammers is to ask people to contact you by private message as only forum members can use this feature.

HTH,
Hanno
Old 09-08-12, 03:21
Tony Baker

Default Internet scammers

Some time ago now, I had a phone call from someone with an Irish accent, stating they had seen my want add on another MV website. This person said they had ALL the parts I was looking for, but when challenged to identify exactly what parts they had, they simply restated "all the parts", which is of course ridiculous. We never got as far as a request for any money or details from me, because said I didn't believe them & hung up. They rang again, and as with the first call, their caller ID was blocked from my view. I hung up again, and a few seconds later they rang again. This time they had forgotten to block the ID before they rang & I got it.

I have stored their number in my phone, and for a number of days would ring THEM, checking each item to see that MY ID was off. I won't go into details of exactly what I would say to them, but needless to say, apart from the fact I had obviously woken them up each time, I would enquire about their parentage and invite them to do things which are physically impossibe or at least would be very painful and potentially damaging to their phone.

Unfortunately, after several days, their phone number was disconnected.

Pity!

So YES, these sort of people are most definitely about and hoping to scam us.