MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > Post-war Military Vehicles

Notices

Old 12-07-18, 18:15

Default 1985 Iltis

I have a 1985 Iltis that was running fine up to two weeks ago. I turn the key and I can hear the starter spin, but is does not come out to engage the flywheel. I took the starter out and everything is working fine on the bench, the solenoid engages and pushes out the Bendix and it spins and moves freely. I put the starter back in and the it does the same thing, it spins but does not engage in the flywheel. The batteries are good and I am getting 24 volts to the system. It is the 1.7 L petrol engine. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Old 12-07-18, 18:18
carrier mech

How did the teeth on the flywheel look? Also, check to make sure the ring gear isn't spinning on the flywheel......I saw that on a M151A2 once.

If both of those are OK I would suggest you invest in a starter drive. Or better yet, unload the Iltis and buy a Jeep.
Old 12-07-18, 22:39
Terry Warner

Default Stuart the Iltis Man

Good tech tip! Not that I have an Iltis, those details are well-worth sharing.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!
Old 12-07-18, 23:47

I am not familiar with the Iltis but that photo of the starter nose above appears to show a starter pinion engaged by a solenoid not a bendix. A pinion engaged by a solenoid has a roller ratchet just behind the pinion itself. If that ratchet fails you have no drive but it all looks ok when bench testing. The purpose of the ratchet is to prevent the engine overspeeding the starter motor when it fires. A bendix relies on the pinion being overspeeded to push the pinion back out of mesh with the ring gear.

David
Old 12-07-18, 23:47
carrier mech

Another way to remove that type of bushing (as well as pilot bushings on flywheels) is to pack the cavity full of grease, and find a suitable size of socket that just fits in the hole. Put an extension on the socket and hammer it into the bore...the hydraulic pressure will force the bushing out. If youre socket is not quite the diameter you need, you can build it up with electric tape to the right size.

Tapping the bushing as Stuart suggests is also good. I use that method sometimes to remove broken shell casings from some of my firearms. Some of them can be a bugger.
Old 13-07-18, 00:25

Well done Stuart !
I think it is almost certain that the problem here is that the ratchet is not transmitting the drive under load.
I have got ratchets to come back to life by soaking them in engine oil for a few days. It seems that sometimes the grease in them goes hard restricting the movement of the rollers. It might well be possible to get some lubrication in by squirting it with your favorite penetrating lubricant and then turning the pinion either way to get things inside moving again. It is very rare that they wear out, they just seem to clog up and not grip.

David