MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > Your Relatives

Notices

Old 08-11-07, 04:00

Default Lt Colonel FED Wallace OBE, ED, KC

I am currently doing research into Lt Col FED Wallace OBE, ED,KC
From the research I have done so far I believe the following
FED Wallace is Frank Ervin Duncombe Wallace and prior to the war he resided in Brant County / Brantford. In 1933 he married Sydney Hewitt in Brandtford. Apart from these minor facts I keep hitting dead ends to find out the facts of his military career and the circumstances under which he was awarded the three medals.

I would appreciate any assistance or suggestions that may help me discover more information.

Thank you

Peter Case
Old 08-11-07, 04:12
RIP

From the CD "Courage & Service" published by Service Publications;

WALLACE, Frank Ervine Duncombe, Major (now Acting Lieutenant-Colonel) - Officer, Order of the British Empire - Infantry - awarded as per Canada Gazette dated 29 April 1944 and CARO/4430 dated 3 May 1944, "for gallant and distinguished services in Sicily.". Governor General's Records (RG.7 Group 26 Volume 57, file I-190, dossier 4) has citation.

This officer has shown outstanding qualities of determination and devotion to duty in the performance of his duties as Deputy Assistant Adjutant General of 1 Canadian Division. The tireless effort put into the "A" Planning of 1 Canadian Division for the Sicilian campaign by Major Wallace achieved the most satisfactory results although there were numberless points on which Canadian and British practices required careful co-ordination. Throughout the campaign itself Major Wallace carried out his tasks aggressively, continually maintained liaison forward ensuring that every assistance was given to units. He handled large reinforcement drafts himself, succeeding well in his desire to keep units at full strength. An officer with long Non-Permanent Active Militia service, major Wallace has consistently given of himself in the interests of the service beyond what might reasonably have been expected.

WALLACE, Frank Ervin Duncombe, Lieutenant-Colonel, OBE, ED - Chevalier of the Order of Leopold with Palm and Croix de Guerre 1940 with Palm - General List (Headquarters, 3 Canadian Infantry Division, but recommended for service with First Canadian Army Terminals) - awarded as per Canada Gazette dated 31 August 1946 and CARO/6733 dated 2 September 1946. Recommendation originated 10 August 1945 with Major-General R.H. Keefler; sent same day to Headquarters, Canadian Forces in the Netherlands; signed off by Lieutenant-General G.G. Simonds on 6 October 1945.

Lieutenant-Colonel Frank Ervin Duncombe Wallace was Assistant Adjutant and Quartermaster-General, First Canadian Army Terminals, during the rapid advance of First Canadian Army across Belgium in September and October 1944. First Canadian Army Terminals was without a Brigadier Commanding during this period, resulting in Lieutenant-Colonel Wallace being solely responsible for the command and administration of the 14,000 officers and men at Dendermonde, Evergem, St.Nicholas, Willebroech, Arendonk and Turnhout engaged in supplying all ammunition, petrol, ordnance and rations for the Canadian army engaged against the German forces in Northwest Europe.

This officer personally carried out all reconnaissances for depots, often with the foremost armour and infantry, personally sited all administrative installations, and coordinated all services to ensure that the maintenance and supply of the fighting forces engaged in the liberation of Belgium was of the highest order. The conduct, the energy and the services of Lieutenant-Colonel Wallace during the liberation of Belgium merits high praise.

WALLACE, Frank Ervin Duncombe, Lieutenant-Colonel, OBE, ED - Mention in Despatches - Infantry - awarded as per Canada Gazette dated 6 October 1945 and CARO/6114 of that date.

The ED was the Efficiency Decoration and was a Long Service and Good Conduct medal. Ultimately it was replaced by the CD (Canadian Forces Decoration).

The KC is not a medal but is indicative of the holders appointment as a King's Counsel. This means that the holder was a lawyer of sorts and, with the KC appointment, could now wear silk vice linen robes in court.

Last edited by servicepub (RIP); 08-11-07 at 04:17.
Old 09-11-07, 03:53

Default Lt Col FED Wallace

Wow Clive thats impressive, thank you very much for that information.

I guess the only question left to ask are is he still alive ?

How does a person get hold of a copy of the CD that you quoted in your reply.

Thank you

Peter Case
Old 09-11-07, 04:00
RIP

Peter,

The citation shows that his affiliation is "Infantry" so, if you know what regiment he was with then it is possible that he remained affiliated with it post-war.
The CD is available from Service Publications. This fine Canadian firm produces books and CDs on the Canadian military experience as seen through its material culture.
Old 09-11-07, 04:20

Default Service Publications

Clive thank you once again. I checked out the website service publications and must say its impressive. I can see several items that I am going to purchase.

Thank you

Peter
Old 09-11-07, 23:55
Senior Forum Member

Post Re: Lt Col F.E.D. Wallace OBE, ED, KC - award of his Canadian Efficiency Decoration

Hi Peter;

Published in Part "A" General Orders 1941 (under General Order Number 67 of 1941, dated 18 March 1941), the award of the Canadian Efficiency Decoration (E.D.) to Major F.E.D. Wallace, of The Dufferin and Haldimand Rifles.

Information on the Canadian Efficiency Decoration itself, can be found here.

Cheers
Old 10-11-07, 03:55

Default Lt Col FED Wallace

Mark thanks for the assistance. I really appreciate it.

Peter
Old 18-04-10, 16:03

Default FED Wallace

I am a daughter of the above and want to know who Peter Case is and why he was researching my father?
Jessie Reiffenstein
Old 18-04-10, 17:44
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessie reiffenstein View Post
I am a daughter of the above and want to know who Peter Case is and why he was researching my father?
Jessie Reiffenstein
Welcome to MLU, Jessie.

To the best of my knowledge, Peter has not been online in this forum since June 2008. You'd best send him an email: click on his name, then 'Send Email' and you'll get a form you can fill out. If he's still using that address, it will get to him and perhaps he will explain.

In any case, the information posted above is in the public domain, so there's nothing particularly nefarious about it; probably Peter was just following a line of historical research which for whatever reason led him to your father's name.

Cheers,

Geoff