MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 03-08-14, 15:39
aut viam inveniam aut fac

Default Landie seizes in US for EPA violation ?

**from Washington Post Friday Aug 1, 2014
(one wonders about wider implications in all countries re environmental laws...eg. my impression was that the Iltis jeep was not supposed to be licenced for the street because they have no pollution controls but (luckily for us-they somehow slipped through a cra====video news link WBTV at bottom)

When it comes to environmental regulation compliance, the Department of Homeland Security isn’t playing — as evidenced by a recent federal raid of a South Carolinian’s home to confiscate a Land Rover that violated EPA emission rules.
Jennifer Brinkley said she saw a line of law enforcement vehicles approaching her home and wondered what was wrong, the local WBTV reported. Homeland Security agents then went to her 1985 Land Rover Defender and lifted the hood.
“They popped up the hood and looked at the Vehicle Identification Number and compared it with a piece of paper and then took the car with them,” she said, WBTV reported.
She told Fox News that she was told the agents seized the vehicle because they thought it violated the Clean Air Act — though at the time, they weren’t completely sure. She also said her vehicle was just one of 40 that feds seized in various locations that same day for the same reason.
Ms. Brinkley told Fox News that she has no idea where the vehicle is now and that feds won’t tell her.
“I’m sad because I owned the car. It’s just an iconic car. I’m in disbelief … and surprised that somebody can come in and take your property,” she told Fox News. “It’s scary, it’s scary when it happens to you.”
WBTV reported that she had invested more than $60,000 in to the vehicle, which she bought online last year. WBTV also clarified that feds were seeking out imported vehicles with altered VINs that didn’t meet Environmental Protection Agency emission laws.
Ms. Brinkley said on Fox News that she had spent considerable money ensuring her vehicle would pass inspection laws and that it was in compliance with emission rules.

http://www.wbtv.com/story/26075071/w...ze-land-rovers

Old 03-08-14, 17:32

sounds like a vehicle not legally imported and with altered VIN , but time will tell, everyone should keep an eye on this story,
Old 03-08-14, 18:23
aut viam inveniam aut fac

Apparently, she (they) were the 4th owner..it does seems unusual that "Homeland Security" usually associated with terrorism, would be dealing with a possible pollution control on vehicles issue.

This comes at the same time as US govt sales of MVs to the public is halted (temporarily ?) while they look into the issue of non-epa vehicles/engines being released to the public.

What is the situation regarding MV- (esp "modern-84-86 era- iltis) and the Ontario e-testing.
What is the situation in other provinces? Quebec does not have e-tests (for now)
Old 03-08-14, 21:50
Dog Robber

Hi Guys:

Please have a look at the link below which pretty much tells the story.

The ladie's Defender would have to have been a 1988 model or older last year when purchased and my guess is it is newer and has an altered VIN or at least that is what is suspected.

Whether the effort laid out in the story below is anywhere worth the effort or expenditure to round up a few dozen Landie vehicles is I think an honest question.

Bill

http://blog.caranddriver.com/exclusi...ver-defenders/
Old 03-08-14, 22:05

the Iltis is old enough and does not fall into the emission trap, there was a issue for a short time , vehicles must be 1988 or newer, as for money wisdom south of the border , just look on GL for only a drop in the bucket as to the wise way they see the value of money and how to spend it and the F-35 would also be a great one,
Old 04-08-14, 11:04

There has recently been a mission to by the Feds to crush defenders, many have had VIN altered to beat the 30 year rules.

http://jalopnik.com/the-feds-just-se...u-s-1605985758

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...ideo?fbfanpage

Old 04-08-14, 17:22
carrier mech

Thankfully they are not looking closely at the M38A1Cdn3. Back when they were released, there was an age problem with the Cdn3 vs the Cdn2. As a result, I know a few surplus dealers were allowing US customers to swap the data plates so the 1971 jeeps could go down into the US.

Aside from the plate behind the seat and the plate set on the dash, both of which are secured by only phillips screws, there are no other serial numbers on the Cdn2 or 3. There is a date usually on the frame over the rear right wheel, but this was painted over at the factory. The only way to tell the VIN is not applicable to the vehicle would be to know the 10 or so variations between the years.

But perhaps I have said too much.....seems like the DHS has a lot of time on their hands.
Old 04-08-14, 18:26

The shenanigans of altered identitites is one I strive to avoid. I have done work for a number of forum members getting everything straightened out from POSTS (Previous Owner Stupid TrickS). Being legal and correct is something we should aim for all the time.

In the US the cachet value of the modern coil sprung Land Rover has always kept a sub culture alive.

We here in Canada are fortunate to be allowed to import anything that is 15 years or older and provincially register it as long as it meets provincial standards.

It is world where a lot is spouted but few have ever done it to be able to speak with any authority. Those who have done it, sit laughing when others decline their help and cock it up and waste way more than the small amount that was asked to assist in importing the vehicle, which ends up being a fraction of the pain and grief they endure.

Big Brother is watching all of us constantly.

R
Old 06-08-14, 04:39

Default ex-canadian military vehicles-Iltis

Gents,

Anyone has anything to say about Iltis Vin numbers and the relashionship they entertain with Philips screwdrivers ?
94 LSVW
Old 06-08-14, 07:02
carrier mech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Bergeron View Post
Gents,

Anyone has anything to say about Iltis Vin numbers and the relashionship they entertain with Philips screwdrivers ?
Aren't the Iltis serial numbers also stamped on the frames and/or body firewall?
Old 06-08-14, 08:09

Default "VIN" numbers

What is all this talk about vehicle identification number numbers?

Surely the Itis has a chassis number number stamped somewhere?

I thought most vehicles produced in North America have several vehicle identification number numbers stamped in both obvious and secondary hidden places.

(I'm just glad I can still remember my personal identification number number so that I can get money out of the automatic teller machine machine! )