c60s sigs.jpg  
Old 31-08-06, 22:59

Default FWD Sigs truck

Similar but larger, USA service
Attached Thumbnails
fwd hst signals.jpg  
Old 31-08-06, 23:04

Default Another pole derrick truck

Off topic of CMPs, but a very similar style derrick. Compared to today's material handling cranes this would have been incredibly labour intensive, even setting up would have taken a fair bit of manpower to lift the poles into place.
Attached Thumbnails
fwd yu bridge.jpg  
Old 31-08-06, 23:05

Default USA GMC-CCKW front mounted derrick

Not sure where this picture came from.
Attached Thumbnails
55l_airfieldcrane.jpg  
Old 31-08-06, 23:06

Default USA rear mounted GMC-CCKW Derrick

Not sure where this picture came from either.
Attached Thumbnails
gmc derrick truck.jpg  
Old 31-08-06, 23:07

Default DUKW derrick (Aust)

courtesy of the AWM.
Attached Images

Old 01-09-06, 23:26
MVT Member 11001

Default Derrick

Looking at the photos, it seems that Rob Fast's derreck box body is different from the others in that the sides seem to slope inwards, whereas the other photos show vertical sides - so is this another variation or some kind of change on the production line?
Old 02-09-06, 01:21

Default Is this a game...????

Every once in a while next to the comic section in the weekend newspaper they have two similar pictures and you have to find 10 differences.......

Well Larry after your last posting I flipped back and forth until I was dizzy...... and yes there are a whoel bunch of differences between Rob's box..... Barry's box and every other darn picture posted since the start of this discussion....

Start by comparing the various rear openings....

Then look at the vertical braces on the side panel... from one brace to 2 to 4......

Count the number to tie downs for the tarp.....outside bins

inside details........

Is it possible they were built without any blueprints....... some on Mondays and some on Fridays...????? or the guy that wrote the books never set foot in the fabricating shops..... or maybe they were built during a contract awarded by the Liberal party for a Quebec plant (sorry guys abroad..... this is an inside Canada joke!!!!

.... and the box once off the proper frame.... are they still engineers lorry boxes or boxes that can be used by engineers...???

If variety is the spice of life....... then CMP boxes are mighty spicy items.......

Konfused..... and my wife wonders what I do on the 'puter all this time.

BooBee
Canada
Old 02-09-06, 01:58

Larry and Bob, you are both very perceptive. Now that you have brought things to my attention I can see many differences. Here is an old photo of the rear of mine.
Cheers,
Barry
Attached Thumbnails
derrick rear.jpg  

Every twenty minute job is one broken bolt away from a three day ordeal.
Old 02-09-06, 02:02

Default Yes Barry......

.... your rear (end) is very different.......

....is that box located at the chicken farm where Brian and Mel have that hidden wiskey still...????

God I love this hobby!!!!!

Bob
Canada
Old 02-09-06, 03:46

Hi Bob
Yea, thats where it sits. When I bought this place I thought I would be able to clear out of the Chicken Ranch but NO!! All that stuff and probably more will be there when I wake up on the wrong side of the sod. Its payback for Gough. He can get rid of it.
Barry

Every twenty minute job is one broken bolt away from a three day ordeal.
Old 05-09-06, 03:09

Bob will post photos of the head of his derrick later, I took 2 photos of the base of the legs today. Only the center and right legs were present.

The casings have the maker's name "King" and a part number, however the part numbers are not a match for any of the numbers given in the Body Parts List, not even the same format.

There is still a "King" company making hoists and bodies for utility companies, logically the same or a sucessor company, even though I spent part of today telling Bob not to expect logic.
Attached Thumbnails
derrick leg ends - a.jpg   derrick leg ends - b.jpg  
Old 07-09-06, 03:45

Here are a few pictures of the a frame that came with my C15a

You will notice the strange roller guides that do not seem to exist in the other pictures shown so far. The construction of the roller guide looks original and done in a manufacturing process....

This first picture I beleive shows the top 1/3 of the legs.....

..... Grant has already shown some pictures of the lower 1/3 of the legs..... my set is not complete.... it would seem that the middle 1/3 section was slightly undersized and would slipp in the top and bottom third and held in place with pins.....

very rusty.....

certainly very sturdy....

.... I tried to move this assembly by hand..... I owuld pity the poor guys who had to manhandle such a contraption..... it is heavy.

I safely moved it using the bucket on the tractor...... call me lazy!
Attached Thumbnails
hpim6758enlresized.jpg  
Attached Images

Canada
Old 07-09-06, 11:39

Bob thanks for the replies and the excellent photos. I have one question. What is the diameter of the pipe legs and how long are they? Looks like about 2inch diameter to me.

Thanks to Grant Bowker too for the scans.

Thanks
Cliff
Old 07-09-06, 12:13

Default Pipe leg size

They are definitely larger (and heavier) than 2", but rather than post from memory I'll wait until one of us has the chance to put a tape to the legs.
Old 17-09-06, 21:54

Default Bob Carriere's derrick leg diameters

All 3 of the upper portions attached to the head sheave are the same size, approximately 2-7/8" I.D. and 3-1/4" O.D.
The lower end of the side leg (hooked fitting) is the same size as the uppers.
The lower portion of the middle leg (closed eye fitting) is smaller, approximately 2-7/8 O.D. and 2-1/2" I.D. which is close to 2-1/2" nominal schedule 40 pipe. The size of the larger pipe doesn't match any standard pipe, as far as I know.
Another oddity is that the Body Parts List lists all three legs as being 3 parts, upper, center and lower. This would be fine for the measurements seen for the outer legs (upper and lower are large diameter, center small diameter) but I don't understand how the middle leg would be assembled (upper large diameter, lower small diameter, but what to do for the centre?)
Old 17-09-06, 22:44

thanks for that Grant. I too cannot see how it would work either. By putting a narrower section in the middle wouldn't you be risking the boom bending in that section?

I would have thought that it would just have a piece on the ends the same size as the interior diameter of the thicker posts so it could just slide togeather.

Attached a photo of the 1/35 scale winch for my model I finished last night.

Cheers
Cliff
Attached Images

Old 18-09-06, 01:01

I think we mean the same thing but are saying it differently. The outer legs from top to bottom seem to be large, small, large with the difference in size being just enough to let the tubes slide inside each other to adjust length and permit disassembly for transport.

I have assumed that the middle portion of each outer leg of Bob's derrick was of the smaller tube size since there is a single piece of smaller size tube without end fittings that could fit that way. Since the set of legs is not complete and they have seen some modification since manufacture (one or two flame cut ends) it is possible that the smaller diameter plain piece of tube is just being misleading and that the center part of the outer legs should be a third, even larger size that isn't in Bob's collection of parts, which would help to increase the theoretical buckling load of the outer legs which are mainly loaded in compression.

The center leg still puzzles me since I can't visualize how a top to bottom sequence of large, ????, small would fit together.

In theory, since the legs are all pin jointed at the ends, they should see pure tension or compression loads but since we don't have frictionless pullies or any of the other neat gadgets from the "pure physics toolkit" there will be some bending loads.

The diagram in the Body Parts List suggests that the center part of all 3 legs should be larger diameter than the tops and bottoms and that the tops and bottoms should all be the same diameter. This is a non-dimensioned drawing, too small for me to be sure that I am reading it correctly and with respect to the center leg doesn't match the sizes measured for top and bottom sections.

If you think I'm a bit puzzled, you are right.
Old 18-09-06, 03:02

I have just studied the original photo I have of the truck with the Derrick in the raised position and it appears to me that the upper and lower sections are the same size and the middle is larger having it's internal diameter the same size as the upper and lower sections external measurement. So the upper and lower slide into the middle and are then pined.

Cheers
Cliff
Old 20-09-06, 05:32
"Sid and Errol's Dad"

Post Winch

G'Day Chaps,
Just browsing this thread, and the rear-mounted winch seems to be very similar to the mystery winch mounted under my F15. Photo posted on this thread
Your thoughts??
Cheers HH
F15 #12
F15A #13 (stretched)
F60S #13
C15A #13 Wireless (incomplete)

Last edited by Hanno Spoelstra; 12-01-14 at 20:05. Reason: fixed link
Old 20-09-06, 12:39

Default Howard's winch

I can't tell you for sure that your winch didn't come from a derrick truck but if I am interpreting your photos correctly it seems your winch is mounted aft of the rear axle, under the frame. This location doesn't match any CMP I'm aware of and seems unlikely due to the length of driveshaft (particularly for the chain driven winches normally mounted up in the body), possible interference with the axle in cross country operation and the exposure to obstacles when driven cross country. All underbody/chassis mounted winches that I have seen were the type used on FAT etc. mounted just aft of the transfer case, high within the frame rails (as much as possible) to avoid muck and damage, driven by a shaft that was little more than a flex coupling in length and offset enough to clear the driveshaft to the rear axle.

The "first type" derrick truck is listed as using an under floor winch. I don't know what type winch this was but suspect that it might have been the standard winch as used on FAT and that the "second type" used a standard commercial winch of unknown origin. Perhaps someone with a manual for the derrick truck can identify it for us.

Some of the photos of derrick trucks show a cable running down to a point that looks like it matches what I think is the location of your winch but I think this is only the free end of the cable being secured to keep it handy and avoid wire rope snarls.

Some of the above is based on rather flimsy evidence, little better than a guess, so I would be glad if others can educate me.
Old 20-09-06, 12:55
"Sid and Errol's Dad"

Post Winch

Thanks Grant. I am certain that the winch is not an original fitment. I have photos of the truck dating back to the mid 50's and it is evident the winch was only fitted in the late 60's when the F15 was used to operate a jib in a quarry. I do not intend to keep the winch there, but plan to mount it to Tony's F60L so we can use it for recovering other vehicles. What I am trying to establish is the origins of the winch.
And yes, the driveshaft for the winch IS llooonnngggggg.
F15 #12
F15A #13 (stretched)
F60S #13
C15A #13 Wireless (incomplete)

Last edited by Hanno Spoelstra; 12-01-14 at 20:06. Reason: fixed link
Old 15-10-06, 21:33
MLU Administrator

Nice colour pic showing a 3-Ton Derrick Truck at a captured ordnance dump in Normandy, 1944.
Source: Archives Normandie.

Click image for larger version

Name:	webp004604.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	110959
click here for a large size scan
Old 16-10-06, 16:50

Default Chevrolet K 43

The majority of these images are like my old US Chevrolet K43 telephone truck derrick.

The CMP mounted illustrations are ALMOST identical, except that the drop-down jacks are mounted differently, and mine had a range of fitting positions for a crossbar.

No fairleads on mine, and quite different from my DUKW A-Frame too.

Gordon
Old 06-07-18, 07:24
MLU Administrator

Two more pictures of subject vehicle from Keith’s FB group. This one is (ex-)Italian Army service as identified by the marking and light setup.

I though I had seen them on here before, but did not find them, thus added to the mix.

Name:	8E845B71-6CA6-4D7D-BE0A-4A9F1B20162C.jpeg
Views:	8
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	100759 Click image for larger version

Name:	65C42DDE-E844-4ADE-B6E2-0C7128CB7E04.jpeg
Views:	8
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	100760
Old 06-07-19, 15:35
MLU Administrator

Derrick truck, captioned as "'Bokauto', Ford, F60S, 3 ton, 4x4".
In use with the Royal Netherlands Army, 1955.

Name:	AKL046271.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	464.3 KB
ID:	108093
Old 29-07-19, 07:55

Default My F60S is a '42 type 13 Derrick

Thanks to all for this post. My CMP was reported to have been used installing poles in the NW territories in its life, then Into a US museum in Northern Washington State. Thanks again Dave in Oregon.
Old 22-12-19, 18:50
MLU Administrator

Default Chevrolet Engineers truck?

This C60S with Engineers / Winch body was on display at the Motor Show Poznań 2014.

As far as I know, only the Ford F60S chassis was fitted with this body type. Can anyone comment on / add to this?

Name:	Chevrolet_CMP_Truck_PMS14 2.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	226.5 KB
ID:	110956
Old 24-12-19, 10:04

Default Mix of body

Hello
Your are right when you say that DERRICK body was only put on the FORD CANADA F60S. My explanation of these «*anomalie*» is that I think that some F60S LAAT and C60S LAAT were rebuild the same area or shed and that a body of F60S DERRICK was put on a C60S like this method was used after the war when DODGE WC were rebuild in GERMANY (mixed of front end and body).
Old 24-12-19, 12:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant Bowker View Post
Similar but larger, USA service
A similar but much more prevalent US truck with a small but strong following are the US Army Signal Corps K44/K43 series trucks. The K44 being the auger truck, but the K43 has the derrick and winch for pulling telephone wire.

Matt