MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > The MLU Sappers Mess

Notices

Old 02-03-08, 06:20
Derek Heuring

Default Engineers and Universal Carriers

Just to ensure that people don't get the wrong impression that Engineers were always working with fascinating kit such as Perforated Steel Planking and expedient runway surfaces, we also had to work with the more mundane now and then also. Engineers found another use for the handy Universal Carrier as a trailer to haul our kit around in. The caption in the following picture shows a motorless UC carrying RE stores towed behind the fuel trailer of a Crocodile flame tank. I don't know if the "motorless" UC was acquired in the field or delivered to the Engineers that way as a purpose built armoured trailer.

CHIMO! Derek.
Attached Thumbnails
UC engineless with RE stores towed behind Crocodile.jpg  
Old 04-03-08, 14:52

Default Finally, ...

... a use for the engineless carrier hull that I've had sitting out in the barn for almost 20 years now !!

I knew that if I just waited long enough ...

Sadly though, doing this project means that I'll have to restore another to tow the newly restored trailer ... it never ends. Which is a good thing for those of us afflicted with "olive-drab disease".
Old 04-03-08, 21:10

Quote:
I don't know if the "motorless" UC was acquired in the field or delivered to the Engineers that way as a purpose built armoured trailer.

Derek, I have seen this picture before and noticed that it is in fact a Conger carrier, which is obviously modified again to act as a trailer.

You can recognize the extended armor on the left side of the driving compartment and it is hard to see, but I think I even recognize the wood edge on top of the front armour.

I guess the picture must have been taken after the big accident in IJzendijke, Holland October 1944, after which Congers were no longer used and probably converted again for other roles.

Alex