MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 15-07-14, 12:37

Default honourable Japanese

Interesting lack of commentary on Tony Abbott's speech in Parliament last week where he claimed that Australians in WWII "admired" the Japanese "sense of honour". It's a rather outlandish claim which I would have expected to draw plenty of flak, but it seems only the RSL and the Chinese are offended:

http://www.news.com.au/national/tony...-1226984686363

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2...ns-wwii-skills

Any thoughts here on MLU...? I guess it's difficult to comment without being seen to vilify the Japanese. Perhaps Abbott was banking on that.
Old 15-07-14, 14:30

The important thing is not to forget the history. How long the rage is maintained is another thing. Small steps have been made by the Japanese over the years but I don't think a proper apology will ever be made. Perhaps the silence from the masses says a lot in itself these days.
Old 15-07-14, 21:10

As a baby boomer (1948 model) I grew up surrounded by the generation who had fought WW2. I can say unequivocally that hatred of and contempt for the Japanese was at that time universal amongst the veterans of the Pacific war. One side affect of this that was quite noticeable in later years was the shortage of Japanese war souvenirs as most people wanted nothing to do with this despicable enemy or their equipment.
The one exception to this was the Samurai sword, huge numbers of which were brought back to Australia. So many of them ended up here that for many years at least one Japanese entrepreneur made an annual sword buying visit to Melbourne and no doubt other Australian cities. He would set himself up in a hotel along with his retinue and advertise in the papers presenting himself as some sort of quasi official representative of the Japanese people who had the task of returning the swords to their original owners. It was not the military swords he was after, it was the priceless family heirlooms. With his knowledge of these items he would have done very nicely. I had a workmate who collected Japanese swords and he took one in for valuation just to see this fellow in action.
Honourable enemy? Bah humbug! When it comes to history methinks Mr Rabbit wouldn't know his arse from his elbow.

David

Last edited by motto; 15-07-14 at 21:19.
Old 15-07-14, 23:53
Tony Baker

More than once I saw my father give a disapproving glance towards japanese men of roughly the same age as him. He had fought in New Guinea for 4 years, and had no love for the 'japs' whatsoever. In the hunt for souvenirs, Dad lost 2 mates, thanks to booby traps which were believed to have been set AFTER cease fire was requested. Dad brought nothing but bad memories and malaria home with him.

There was a time Dad would never have owned a japanese vehicle, but in the 1980s things started to change. The burning stares either stopped or got more covert, and the verbalised justification of hatred slowed and eventually stopped over a number of years. The most obvious sign and the one that prompted me to ask what was going on, was when Dad bought a Nissan. That nearly floored me! When I enquired why, Dad said he had hated the japs for what they did in WWII, but in the years since, he had arrived at the conclusion that it was the japan of 1940s and the men of his own age that he held those ill feelings towards. Apparently Dad had made a conscious seperation between then and now. Without that decision, he might have been one of a number of returned servicemen who kept a very unhealthy hatred towards not only japan, but sometimes all asians and asian races. The Vietnam 'war' seems to have increased the dislike of asian pepoles.

Our prime minister has always given me the impression of a bumbling fool, stumbling from one guff to another, with little understanding of whatever situation he found himself in. He is no wordsmith. He is, to me, an embarrasment on the world stage. Not quite in the league of george bush (dubya), but could be on par if he tries hard enough.

Modern japan has always amazed me. The density of their population, their priorities in life, and their set of 'values'. They speak of honor, while slaughtering whales for 'research' and bash dolphins to death after corraling them to a terrified huddle. Historically speaking, you could say we were no better, but then we changed over time. I dont think there is any other country where you can find vending machines which dispense used womens underwear. Don't believe me? Look here then http://www.oddee.com/item_96684.aspx
I hold no ill feelings against the japanese people as individuals, its just that I find their culture and society really, really, odd! Much as they view western culture, I guess. If ever there was a good example of healthy seperation of the old VS new generation, look closely at Hawaii. The site of the most infamous piece of treachery in peacetime, now embraces the japanese tourists with arms outstretched (and open cash registers).

The world's a-changin! For better or worse, time marches on. When you think about it, saying sorry for something minor can be very difficult at times. Imagine the level of difficulty required to apologise for a four year period of murderous atrocities and sadism. That could be a little tricky. Look how long it took for Australian Govt. to officially apologise to the Aboriginal people for crimes perpetrated. I think the recent hint of regret on behalf of japan is about all we're gonna get.

Last edited by Private_collector; 16-07-14 at 00:12.
Old 17-07-14, 13:23

My late father had one of those Samurai swords for many years, smuggled here after WWII. There wasn't a family discussion about it, but Mum & Dad decided to send the sword back many years later (the family name was on a scroll inside the handle). It went back via a Catholic priest (who got into some trouble over the whole thing) but that's a different story!

Whilst the sword must have had some sentimental value to Dad, they obviously decided that it had more value to another family who had lost a son, albeit a combatant of my father.

(Dad was pretty private to us young uns about WWII, but enjoyed the camaraderie of the annual reunions and was President of the Battalion Association, and was involved in commissioning the book "A Young Man's War" a history of the Aust. 37/52.)

Edit: PS. He too finished up owning 'Jap' vehicles!

Last edited by Allan L; 17-07-14 at 13:35.
Old 18-07-14, 01:31
Pops

Sometime in the 1990's a 20 year old Japanese girl came to the Yass for work experience, she came to learn about wool and was misdirected to a goat farm and was told they were sheep. We can't remember how but she came to stay with us for 10 days, and it so happened to coincide with our shearing (the same happened to Swiss Chris later on). During her stay my father wanted to meet her, so we took her to visit, and dad being his suttle self asked her if she had any relatives in the war (by this time dad had mellowed a little towards the Japanese) once she realised my father was in the war as a front line soldier, she became very upset and begged to go home. Then there was a very touching moment when dad went and picked a flower from the garden and gave it to her, she settled down and really treasured that flower for the rest of her stay, and she showed a lot of repect towards dad afterwards. This girl took a fleece of wool home with her as it happens it wasn't work experience she came for it was to learn about the process of wool as she was doing textiles and design at university and planned to spin and weave the wool into fabric and then make a garment from this.

This shows how time does heal a little with old soldiers as during the 1950's at wool sales in Sydney when dad first saw a Japanese, since the war he had a very bad reaction and had to be taken away into a different area.
Old 18-07-14, 12:15

Default honourable nippon

many men in my locality (Royal Northumberland Fusileers) had been POW in the far east and one in particular would not have anything Japanese in his house!I did know the Late Capt.Eric Lomax and his book will make you cry(never mind the film)...some years ago whilst visiting the excellent little museum of the Royal Scots in Edinburgh there was aparty of Japanese School girls in front of me..they started to read the writing on some captured Japanese flags and then ran out of the building crying there heads off..have to say it was very moving...in the spirt of reconcilliation I was in a seafood resturant in Helmsdale,Sutherland,Scotland a couple of years sago and there was only 2 lobsters left..although I was first I let the young Japanese tourists have them and recieved a nice bow in return! the world changes millions are being spent by goverments on snooping on there own people..never forget whats happened in the past but try to move on! best regards to all from a sunny(rare) north-northumberland...malcolm
Old 18-07-14, 14:57
Tony Baker

Malcolm,

Is Eric Lomax' book called The Railway Man?

I hope it is. Ordered a copy after reading your post.

Thanks,
Old 18-07-14, 18:41

Default honourable nippon

Tony yes thats the book...in my humble opinion much better than the film which had its international premier in my own home town!Eric was in our local signals assoc but I always found him a bit quite and reserved..not supprising when you read the book!all the best...looks like the rains comming again! cheers malcolm
Old 19-07-14, 04:55
aut viam inveniam aut fac

wikipeadia has an interesting reading on Japanese history textbook controversies.. It includes the following line
"Reflecting Japanese tendency towards self-favoring historical revisionism, historian Stephen E. Ambrose noted that "The Japanese presentation of the war to its children runs something like this: 'One day, for no reason we ever understood, the Americans started dropping atomic bombs on us.'"[4]

Here's an interesting link from Feb 07 2014

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...r-9115827.html
Old 19-07-14, 09:05
Tony Baker

Marc,

That is simply hilarious! They may write it that way, but anyone over the age of gestation can find, read, watch, or listen, to all the information they can handle, courtesy of the internet. Japanese are world renown for their tendancy to travel (some even visited Hawaii, in December, 1941), and the world is full of reminders that disagree with the official writings.

I sort of recall Dad telling me Japanese had no word for Retreat. They considered it an 'Advance to the Rear'. That always cracked me up as well. Such an ego. Bushido indeed. More like Bullshido.
Old 19-07-14, 09:30

Come on guys you can't really be knocking the originators of the Greater East Asian Co-Prosperity Sphere where they charged through the Pacific spreading health, wealth and happiness whilst throwing off the white mans yoke and liberating millions. They were simply a little misunderstood that's all, a little bad press nothing more. Just ask them, they'll give you the story.

David

Last edited by motto; 19-07-14 at 14:27. Reason: Spellink
Old 19-07-14, 10:31
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default malaya

Some of the Japanese atrocities were meant to terrorize the local populace into submission . In places like KL in then Malaya the Japanese authorities would round up a few innocent individuals and chop their heads off, the heads were stuck on poles and displayed at busy road intersections . The message to the locals being "if you want to misbehave, this is what happens "
1940 Chev. 15cwt GS Van ( Aust.)
1942-45 Jeep salad
Old 19-07-14, 15:03
aut viam inveniam aut fac

difference of cultures.. We realize that when you simply cannot win at all, surrender is preferable to a wasted death.. They- and others- believe that surrender is worse than death and that if you surrender you are of less value than pond scum.
Also I hate to say it, but racism is absolutely rampant, even other asians, Chinese, koreans vietnamese.are lower forms. (mind you, during WWII, we tended to portray Japanes as weak, poor eyesight, etc )

We see some of that thinking today.. We value life above all, but we see too many examples of other cultures where killing yourself- suicide bombers- is honourable and desirable
I remember an interview with the mother of a suicide bomber a few years ago.. she said she wished she had more sons so they could be suicide bombers too...
wow..what can you say to such thinking?? simply beyond our (my) comprehension.