MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 18-07-14, 09:37
Tony Baker

Default This world is going mad with hatred

When I got up this morning and first saw news of the evil act which has occured against a civilian aircraft in the airspace over the Ukraine, and the innocents aboard, I was in disbelief! Have not felt so desperately sad over a single event since the terrorist attacks against the USA, in 2001. This is just awful! What the hell are we doing to each other??? Humans are surely the most disgusting species ever to roam the planet. Animals dont do these things to each other, only people do. And we keep doing so, time and time again, in ever increasingly technological ways. The further science advances, the worse our vengeful and self centred acts of hatred to each other becomes. In this case, one or two individuals can directly cause the deaths of nearly 300 people, who were just minding their own business, going about their lives, and trusting in the judgement of others. Their faith was not deserved.

I have little doubt that some day, someone, somewhere, will eventually set off some nuclear device in the name of some form of hatred towards those who don't share the same beilefs as they do.

A person can be intelligent, resourceful, compassionate and caring..........but 'people' are just MINDLESS IDIOTS! We simply just DO NOT LEARN from past history. Until we do, I fear the world will never see peace. No wonder my Father was ready to depart this world.

May the soals of those lost, rest in peace. May they take some solice in the knowledge that the entire world grieves with their families and friends.
Old 18-07-14, 10:24

Well said Tony.
Old 18-07-14, 10:33
Tony VAN RHODA

Default Hear hear

Hi All

I fully agree. There are no words that can be said at this time that will help. I worry for what kind of world we leave for the young people who still have their lives ahead of them.

Tony
Old 18-07-14, 11:02

I sometimes think that we of the post WW2 generation have lived most of our lives in relative peace and stability and that history shows the conditions we have known are not the normal state of affairs.
I fear perhaps this period of peace and stability is at an end and the human race is reverting to type with the addition of weapons of mass destruction.
For some time I have been of the opinion that this century will be defined by the carnage brought about by extremists of a particular faith who are in love with the idea of death. As you say Tony, there is little doubt that nuclear devices will be used if and when they can be acquired.
You must also question what values the community has in these times when a father drops his child from a bridge or kills his boy at a sporting event. This sort of crap didn't used to happen.
One does wonder if the world is going mad.

David

Last edited by motto; 18-07-14 at 11:13.
Old 18-07-14, 12:36

There is nothing that has happened today , yesterday, or in the last decade or century that has not happened before. Not hard to find examples of atrocities of far greater magnitudes in many periods of history. People are what we are and are capable of this type of behaviour any time. Sad I know. Hard to fathom in this so called enlightened age. But just reflect on what has always been said. History repeats itself. Want peace? Prepare for war. I think it is just horrifying when you experience it in your time.

But it will all happen again.
Old 18-07-14, 14:23
carrier mech

I'll usually try and see both sides of an event...beyond what the media wants to feed us. But I can't find any reasoning behind this one. It's not one of ideology, retribution, or even simple aggression for that matter.

Russia had better get a grip on it's minions.
Old 19-07-14, 00:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack neville View Post
There is nothing that has happened today , yesterday, or in the last decade or century that has not happened before. Not hard to find examples of atrocities of far greater magnitudes in many periods of history. People are what we are and are capable of this type of behaviour any time. Sad I know. Hard to fathom in this so called enlightened age. But just reflect on what has always been said. History repeats itself. Want peace? Prepare for war. I think it is just horrifying when you experience it in your time.

But it will all happen again.
well said Jack. I totally agree with you on this.

"and on the 8th day he made trucks so that man, made on the 7th day, had shelter when woman threw him out for the night"
MrRoo says "TRUCKS ROOLE"
Old 19-07-14, 04:39
aut viam inveniam aut fac

I could very easily be wrong.. but i think in this case it may be a simple case of a trigger happy bunch of zealots who thought it was a Ukrainian military transport... low intelligence madmen with access to highly deadly weapons.

We may never know, the recorders have been taken..there are reports of looting of bodies, and locals apparently were taking parts of the plane for the metal..making it difficult if not impossible to see what happened to the plane itself.

madmen and human vultures. 290 totally innocent people, some of the finest researchers into HIV...tourists, workers, sons daugters fathers mothers, friends....I cannot imagine the sorrow of the families.
Old 20-07-14, 12:00

Certainly it was a case of misidentification Marc, however the weapon system deployed is considered by experts to be far too sophisticated for unqualified rebels to operate. It's largely on that basis, plus its immediate removal to Russia, that accusations are being levelled at the Russian military, for having either fired the missile themselves or trained the rebels who did. Of course, if we cast our minds back to the Iranian airliner shot down by the US Navy, after misidentifying an A300 Airbus as an attacking F-14 Tomcat, it's pretty clear that even the best trained military using state of the art equipment are not immune to such errors.

Personally I blame the airline industry in this case, because it's to them we entrust our lives, not the countries over which they fly us. Everyone knows this route should have been closed months ago, rather than just issue warnings, and airlines like MAS who ignored those warnings are to be despised IMO. They put profit ahead of safety to fly the shortest route and rolled the dice with passenger's lives. Perhaps I'm naive, but I find it astounding they'd fly over an active war zone with a declared no-fly zone up to 32000 feet and consider themselves safe. In any case the proof is in the pudding, and MH17 was the third aircraft shot down in the region that week.
Old 20-07-14, 12:59
carrier mech

Everybody is tired of war at this point, after treading water in the middle east for the last decade and then some. As well, you don't poke a very large bear. My assumption is that the US (and others) currently have heavy economic sanctions on Russia at this point, so what further can be done? Putin is certainly painting himself (and the rest of the world) into a corner.
Old 20-07-14, 14:14
aut viam inveniam aut fac

Well, we both may be right Tony to a greater or lesser extent, certainly many or most of the "rebels" would have had soviet-russian military training, and perhaps many quite recently.. but what no one seems to have asked is where these so-called "rebels" suddenly get their hands on so many weapons from light to heavy and such sophisticated weaponry.

and Rob I agree that many are tired of hearing about and getting involved in often (usually?) unresolvable conflicts- treading water- around the world. I dont know to what extent sanctions will actually hurt Russia as much of its economy is self sustaining internal trade and with former satellites.. Also Europe desperately needs Russian gas and oil and so is leary of poking the bear.

This latest horror however brings what most of the world wishes to classify as a regional affair (and more or less ignore), into an international one. It escalates it, but to what extent- i sure dont know- but the consequences of international intervention are so dangerous that in spite of the horror, probably are limited to a little sabre rattling... It might stop any (theoretical) Russian plan to expand operations into other areas.

Canada has sent six CF-18 to Romania, now Latvia..and 120 RCR,, not sure how much that worries Russia.
Old 21-07-14, 17:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Montgomery View Post
what no one seems to have asked is where these so-called "rebels" suddenly get their hands on so many weapons from light to heavy and such sophisticated weaponry.
I believe it's mostly captured Ukrainian Army equipment Marc, and the mobile AA systems were from a captured Ukrainian Air Force base in Donetsk about three weeks ago. However they're getting pretty desperate now, they raided the Donetsk museum for a T54.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1404764373343_wps_2_Pro_Russian_militants_pre.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	66530

Name:	1404764373360_wps_7_Pro_Russian_militants_use.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	66531

Name:	1404764373372_wps_9_Pro_Russian_militants_sit.jpg