MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 22-12-05, 05:53

Default ppcli-korea

Since this does not follow under WW2 I thought I would try posting here.
My fathers cousin was with the PPCLI in Korea,he was also a vet of WW2 with the Linc's & Winc's.
His name is Floyd Petrie,a sgt. with the PPCLI,Korea.Born and raised in Niagara Falls,Ont.
After Korea ,I am told, he was drill sgt. for the Canadian Guards on Parliment Hill.
Floyd was instamental in me joining the reserve forces.I was in the Linc & Winc's cadet corps while in high school at that time.I readily accepted the reserves,[RCEME], and with my fathers blessing.My father,former FGH,WW2,signed my papers because of my age.
For some reason Floyd urged me on and by the time I was19 ,I was a qualified sgt.[infratry],working on RCEME sgt. I owed a lot to Floyd.
Now that I have given you my background with Floyd I would like to ask the members of this forum for futher info on him.
I recall one evening in the sgt's mess where Floyd and a s/sgt ,artillary,formerPPCLI,.Korea,got into a heated discussion.It was about a medal awarded to Floyd.The name of the medal was never raised.Floyd said the medal should have been given to the s/sgt. The staff said that Floyd deserved it.When I asked what the medal was they basicly told me to stay out of it!Floyd never wore the medal.The medal was for bravery I understand.
Upon his death in the early 70's,I asked his wife ,Elsie,about the medal.She told me that he did not want it buried with him.She would not elaborate about it.His 4 brothers would not talk either..Floyd's wishes.
Now Floyd,his wife and all children have passed on.I have tried various searches but to no result to find what this medal was for and why it was awarded.I beleive it was quite high.
Any info on this will satisfy my longing,[30 yrs], to learn more about my dad's cousins' medal.
If no reply-Floyd's wishes.

Wayne
Old 23-12-05, 03:55
Art Johnson

Default medal

Check out the following site maybe your eyes are sharper than mine.

http://www.kvacanada.com/ha_armylist.htm#dcm

Pro Patria

Art J
Old 24-12-05, 04:15

Hi Art,
Thank you for your reply.Art,your eyes are no sharper than mine..I did not find Floyds name on the site.I did,however, find the name of the s/sgt that I refered to;[what his rank was in kOREA,I do not Know..His name was Peterson.There are 2 references to Peterson, a Lt. and a Maj.Maybe,I got things ass backwards,I don't know now.
I will have to follow up on the Peterson line.He was a fireman in St.Cath.I might get a line on him.
MERRY CHRITMAS

Wayne