MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 10-05-23, 23:44
GM Fox I

Default Chev HUP Radiator mount question

I'm cleaning up a radiator carrier for my Chev HUW. It's the stamped U shaped frame that holds the radiator and bolts to a frame crossmember just forward of the engine. The part I'm using came off a Chev 15cwt (possibly a 60cwt) and has a cast iron spacer between the carrier and the frame, therefore lifting the whole rad assembly up about an inch and a half. The part is circled in red in the attached pic.

Can someone in the know tell me if this spacer was in fact used on HUPs?
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0262.JPG  
Old 11-05-23, 14:23

Default 1945 HUP no

Hi Bruce

Just went out checked, my 1945 HUP, no cast spacer visible only a rubber spacer 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick. Possible way to confirm, if your body is mounted on frame, find the two mounting brace holes on the body and the corresponding holes on the radiator U frame. The body end brackets should be on the sides of engine opening. The radiator support rod run horizontal to match hole in the U frame. Then measure down to the HUP frame. Or if the U frame is loose from radiator just test fit to find the thickness of rubber spacer.

Hint the two mounting rods are different one has a dog leg bend.

Memory is saying there are rubber strips on both sides of the frame under the U frame and that there is a metal plate under the HUP frame for the two bolts. The little plate is the size of the rubber spacer it in place and that it has two bend tabs to make sure the nuts don't come loose. Memory also says the radiator U frame has square holes to hold carrage bolts.

Believe purpose of spacer and sprins is allow for more body twisting on trucks. While HUP series the body is bolted rigid to the frame. This rigid body frame bolting did cause some cracks in the body and its sub frame.
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com

Last edited by Phil Waterman; 11-05-23 at 14:28. Reason: Add information