MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Carrier Forum

Notices

Old 06-10-23, 17:43

Default AC fuel pump

My Carrier is fitted with an AC type U fuel pump for which I need a rebuild kit. I have recently had 2 kits from a supposedly reputable supplier here in the UK, the kits being made by or for Flexolite both of which dissolved in fuel after a couple of weeks. Does anyone know of a supplier (preferably in the UK) whose kits are reliably ethanol proof.
I know I could go down the electric pump route but really don't want to as my Carrier is so original I would prefer to keep it that way.

1944 Matchless G3L
1944 No2 MK2* UC
10 CWT GS trailer
1944 BSA M20
Royal Enfield RE125 'Flying Flea'
Old 06-10-23, 19:27
carrier mech

You can remove the ethanol from your fuel using water. It will result in a drop in the octane rating, but it seems to me you only need a 68 rating of octane vs the 87 rating of regular these days. I am still able to procure ethanol free fuel, but when that ends, I'll be using the water method to keep that crap out of my fuel systems.
Old 06-10-23, 21:05
Bluebell

Mike, apparently for a Jeep the answer is a Land Rover kit. Although a different model pump, If you find out who is making them, then do they make a kit to suit the V8 pump? What works in one country doesn't in another. The fuel varies. I would like to know definitively who makes good ones for both.
Because I didn't want a sump full of petrol, I deleted the push rod bush and blocked off the hole in my block. I run two electric pumps, one for each tank in my Carrier. I do understand your reasoning and would likely think the same way, if I had your Carrier.

Rob. Tell us more about the water please.

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....
Old 06-10-23, 21:54
carrier mech

If you want to get rid of the ethanol, place your gasoline in a pan or container and add about 10 or 15% water and stir or shake. The water will draw out the ethanol from the gas and it will sit as a mirky mixture on the bottom of the pan or container. Pour the gasoline out and stop before the mixture starts to come out. You now will have ethanol free gasoline.

On a smaller scale, the same thing can be done to test for ethanol in the first place. Put 900 ml of fuel in a glass jar or mixing cup, add 100 ml of water and stir. If the water remains clear and at 100ml, then there is no ethanol. If the water/ separated liquid is more than 100ml, like say closer to 200ml, then that indicates a 10% ethanol blend.

You might not want to be losing 10% of the fuel that you paid good money for, but it's a small price to pay compared to replacing your fuel pump, carb, and rubber lines.
Old 07-10-23, 07:19

Rob's water method has been discussed at length over the years and there are Bods selling kits of jars and buckets etc. But I think you would have a lengthy boring job working on enough fuel for a petrol guzzler.

I've also gone over to an electric pump. Mounted fairly out of site forward of the change over switch. Ron
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF2891.jpg  
Old 09-10-23, 02:47
John W.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Gurr View Post
My Carrier is fitted with an AC type U fuel pump for which I need a rebuild kit. I have recently had 2 kits from a supposedly reputable supplier here in the UK, the kits being made by or for Flexolite both of which dissolved in fuel after a couple of weeks. Does anyone know of a supplier (preferably in the UK) whose kits are reliably ethanol proof.
I know I could go down the electric pump route but really don't want to as my Carrier is so original I would prefer to keep it that way.
Hi Mike,
Unfortunately, not a UK supplier but I found this company very helpful when looking for a Fuel Pump repair Kit that was resistant to modern fuels;
https://www.then-now-auto.com/
Good luck
Cheers
John W.
Old 09-10-23, 19:20

Thank you all for the replies, I have a couple of enquiries to pursue here and will update if I have any success.

1944 Matchless G3L
1944 No2 MK2* UC
10 CWT GS trailer
1944 BSA M20
Royal Enfield RE125 'Flying Flea'