MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Carrier Forum

Notices

Old 20-01-14, 03:07
HLIofC - Normandy Pl

Default Heads up - carrier sale...

Looks like we are gonna find out what a "pretty" UC is worth to "experts"...

CBC program "Four Doors" preview of next SUNDAY's show hints at a carrier that I didn't recognize..

too many carriers
too many rovers
not enough time.
(and now a BSA...)
(and now a Triumph TRW...)
Old 20-01-14, 05:18
carrier mech

I saw the preview, but too quick to evaluate. My bet is these guys won't know or care enough about militaria to properly assess it's worth.
Old 20-01-14, 08:06

That filming took place last summer.

There is an embargo on anyone involved with the show divulging anything to do with it.

I am sure that in the end someone paid what they were comfortable with and a production company got the reality footage they wanted. Is the figure mentioned the real price, who will ever know, its TV after all.

Some here will well know the vehicle but will not recognise the seller or purchaser.

I think I have said enough, and no Charlie I have not strayed into WW2 equipment.

I connected the dots last year.

R
Old 26-01-14, 19:21

Default 4 Rooms - Bren Carrier Sale

Hi guys,

Has anyone confirmed that tonight's episode of Four Rooms is going to have the UBC as an item? It see it on the CBC Four Rooms website as an item but I don't see it mentioned in this week's schedule.

Regards, Richard
1941 CMP C12 C-15A (Parts)
1942 CMP C13 F-60S Dumper (Restoring)
2 x 1941 CMP C12 F-GT (Storage)
194? CMP C13 C-60X (For Sale)
Old 27-01-14, 15:16

Default Four Rooms - Carrier not sold

Brent's carrier was the first item on last night's episode of Four Rooms. I'm glad he didn't cave and that he stuck to his (Bren) guns.
Old 27-01-14, 17:04

Only one of them had any idea what it was. Glad he didn't sell too.
Old 27-01-14, 19:54

What offer did he get?
Old 27-01-14, 22:55

$16,000 was the best offer. The others were at about $4000 . Does anyone know how good a restoration it was? Correct engine,armor,etc. ?
Old 27-01-14, 23:05

The owner is on this forum, I spoke with him last night before the show.

I will prod him to post and answer your questions

R
Old 28-01-14, 00:14

Default Link to Four Rooms on CBC

Guys - especially those not in Canada

Here is the link to CBC's Four Rooms - Episode 4 - starts off with the "sale" of the carrier.

http://www.cbc.ca/fourrooms/

Richard
Old 28-01-14, 02:17

Default Who yah gonna call....

Since when does Bill Murray own a Bren Carrier?
:-)
Old 28-01-14, 03:57

Default Four rooms UC

Hello all,
I am the current steward of the carrier CT162915. My name is David Parker and I live on Wolfe Island Ontario I purchased it from the Anderson family after the filming. Brents father, Greg, died rather suddenly about a year an a half ago. I saw his advert on Milweb. With the advice of close family friends he was able to determine a fair market value and in my humble opinion, that is why he did not sell it on that show and as you all could see there was virtually no knowledge of such a vehicle and it value. Its quite evident and obvious, at least to me. Out of respect for the family's privacy I will only say to the curious that all were able to walk away from the the negotiations feeling good. The carrier is in great shape, runs well, tracks are a little sloppy, needs brake/steering adjustment, has a 3 " mortar and has the predecessor to the Bren Gun and a longbranch 303 . I need a petrol/oil can frame for the rear deck if anyone has a decent one if not I will get from Mid West. I have added a couple of sten guns courtesy of stencollector, a petro can from B Harris and a Boys ATR, Telephone set, aiming lights, no 2 cooker as well as camo net from B Asbury.
Best regards to all
Old 28-01-14, 05:03
GM Fox I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dparker View Post
Hello all,
I am the current steward of the carrier CT162915. My name is David Parker and I live on Wolfe Island Ontario I purchased it from the Anderson family after the filming. Brents father, Greg, died rather suddenly about a year an a half ago. I saw his advert on Milweb. With the advice of close family friends he was able to determine a fair market value and in my humble opinion, that is why he did not sell it on that show and as you all could see there was virtually no knowledge of such a vehicle and it value. Its quite evident and obvious, at least to me. Out of respect for the family's privacy I will only say to the curious that all were able to walk away from the the negotiations feeling good. The carrier is in great shape, runs well, tracks are a little sloppy, needs brake/steering adjustment, has a 3 " mortar and has the predecessor to the Bren Gun and a longbranch 303 . I need a petrol/oil can frame for the rear deck if anyone has a decent one if not I will get from Mid West. I have added a couple of sten guns courtesy of stencollector, a petro can from B Harris and a Boys ATR, Telephone set, aiming lights, no 2 cooker as well as camo net from B Asbury.
Best regards to all
Ah, so that's what happened to Greg's carrier. That show is nuts. I wonder if it's as wonky on all prices as it was with the carrier. "Know nothing" sums it up, despite all four dealers being, eh-hem...experts.
Old 28-01-14, 06:09

Default Andersons carrier

Bruce, a lot of history of this carrier was lost with Gregs passing where it came from what it was etc. surviving family members were not too involved .I beleive it was originally a mortar carrier due to bolt holes on the back left fender. I do know that Greg had a parts carrier to help with the restoration. The extra parts that I have are track wheels and dif.
if you have relevant info/history please let me know. For the other folks who knew Greg I'd appreciate your contribution. I have some documentation/communication but it was from another member Geoff Winnington-Ball who unfortunately has also passed. I think these guys were the pioneers of the UC forum.
If you want a good TV show why not one that takes David B. Gordons books and takes us page by beautiful detailed page of the equipment the weapons of ww2- that would be a good TV series but hey Im not the mainstream
Best regards
Old 28-01-14, 16:14

If the WD number painted on the side of the carrier is correct to your hull, it was likely produced at Ford Windsor in November, 1942 as a UC-2. It would be the fifth of 1,000 mortar carriers from contract CDLV 1555. As for a serial number, I suspect it will be close to 11600.

What do the data plate and production numbers on CT162915 reveal?
Old 28-01-14, 22:42
GM Fox I

Your carrier is indeed an original mortar carrier. Greg took a few liberties with the stowage so it isn't in its full mortar configuration "as it left the factory".

I know little bit of that carrier's history (having known Greg during the time he restored it) but I'll send you a private message with the name and number of an old gent who can fill in all the details. I'll leave it to you what juicy history you want to share with others here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dparker View Post
Bruce, a lot of history of this carrier was lost with Gregs passing where it came from what it was etc. surviving family members were not too involved .I beleive it was originally a mortar carrier due to bolt holes on the back left fender. I do know that Greg had a parts carrier to help with the restoration. The extra parts that I have are track wheels and dif.
if you have relevant info/history please let me know. For the other folks who knew Greg I'd appreciate your contribution. I have some documentation/communication but it was from another member Geoff Winnington-Ball who unfortunately has also passed. I think these guys were the pioneers of the UC forum.
If you want a good TV show why not one that takes David B. Gordons books and takes us page by beautiful detailed page of the equipment the weapons of ww2- that would be a good TV series but hey Im not the mainstream
Best regards