MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 05-03-14, 09:32
Tony VAN RHODA

Default What colour was that again

Hi Guys

I know this has been discussed on the forum many times in the past. I am having a seniors moment and cant find the thread that advised which green paint was used by Aussies on WW2 vehicles and equipment. Can you help please.

Cheers

Tony
Old 05-03-14, 14:40

Tony, the short answer is Khaki Green No.3, which was adopted as standard in August 1940 and remained so throughout WW2. However it was darkened in late '42 so there were actually TWO colours, commonly referred to as pre-42 KG3 and post-42 KG3. Also it acquired a satin finish after July '44 which can be seen on some new vehicle photos:

General Routine Orders No. 278. 28th July 1944. Painting of MT Vehicles

Vehicles will, in future, be painted in a single colour, namely Khaki Green No. 3, and will be finished in “egg-shell” in lieu of existing “matt” finish.

Click image for larger version

Name:	AWM 083010.jpeg
Views:	17
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	63943
Old 05-03-14, 22:35
Tony VAN RHODA

Default Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Wheeler View Post
Tony, the short answer is Khaki Green No.3, which was adopted as standard in August 1940 and remained so throughout WW2. However it was darkened in late '42 so there were actually TWO colours, commonly referred to as pre-42 KG3 and post-42 KG3. Also it acquired a satin finish after July '44 which can be seen on some new vehicle photos:

General Routine Orders No. 278. 28th July 1944. Painting of MT Vehicles

Vehicles will, in future, be painted in a single colour, namely Khaki Green No. 3, and will be finished in “egg-shell” in lieu of existing “matt” finish.

Attachment 63943
Hi Tony

Thanks mate, you have rejuvenated the old grey cells. Much appreciated.

Cheers

Tony
Old 06-03-14, 17:20

From May 1945, vehicles in need of a re-paint in rear areas on the Australian mainland were to be painted in gloss KG3 except AFVs, which were to be finished in 'egg shell' KG3. 'Egg shell' was to be used on all vehicles requiring a re-paint until the gloss paint became available.

There were also individual areas during WW2 that used a different green as a single-colour base coat but in general terms, KG3 was the base coat colour for the AMF, and is what we might term the 'factory finish' of vehicles being delivered to ordnance depots, in lusterless or later in egg shell ('satin') finish.

You can't go too far wrong using KG3 on an Aust WW2 vehicle.

The specification for 'Paint, Prepared for Use, Khaki Green No.3 - For Application by Spraying; Specification to govern supply and inspection' was issued by the Inspector General of Munitions, Maribrynong, Victoria as Spec CS/1269, approved for service 5 May 1940, issued as MGO101, and later a revised spec as MGO101A.

Mike C.

Last edited by Mike Cecil; 06-03-14 at 18:45. Reason: More specific detail
Old 06-03-14, 19:09

Very interesting Mike, I didn't know about gloss KG3.

I seem to recall something about ambos being painted Vehicle Dark Green in lieu of KG3, or am I imagining that?
Old 06-03-14, 22:08

Tony,

Don't remember the final outcome of the extensive discussions that medical vehicles generated: there were literally hundreds of memos about painting medical vehicles - ambulances, mobile CCS, blood transport vehicles, and so on - due to their so-called protected status.

I'll check and get back to you.

Mike C
Old 06-03-14, 22:46

Tony,

Had a quick look at what I drafted back in the mid-80s (!) about the subject of painting medical vehicles. In short:

AIF ME: no distinction in the camouflage instructions, but all medical vehicles to display a Geneva Cross in prescribed places.

AMF (AIF+AMF, etc late 1941/early 1942 onwards): Initially, camouflage instructions (eg AMF Mech Instruc - 301) included medical vehicles, but this created quite a furor about painting cammo on a veh AND a big red cross on a white circular background (nice aiming point). An amending instruction was issued on 18 Feb 1942, stating that med vehs were not to be cammo painted, and were to display the Geneva cross.

In July 1942, a further instruction (MI-319) was issued stating that vehicles displaying the Geneva cross were not to be camouflaged, and where they had been, immediate action was to be taken to repaint them, presumably KG3 overall. Medical vehicles are then excluded from cammo instructions for the remainder of the war.

I don't remember seeing anything about vehicle dark green specifically in relation to medical vehicles, but some areas/commands used that as a basic colour instead of KG3, so that may be what you have seen reference to, ie, finish of medical vehicles in those areas to be Veh Dark Green, without disruptive camouflage.

Dental Units were an exception and were still under discussion in 1944. Their own Unit vehicles and installations were to display the Geneva cross, but not temp accommodation or temporarily assigned vehicles - a real each way bet!!

Mike C
Old 07-03-14, 00:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Cecil View Post
In July 1942, a further instruction (MI-319) was issued stating that vehicles displaying the Geneva cross were not to be camouflaged, and where they had been, immediate action was to be taken to repaint them, presumably KG3 overall.
Yes I had a look at the November instruction when the camo colours were changed again and this time it specifically states Khaki Green for medical vehicles:

"All mechanical vehicles are to be painted in disruptive camouflage, except A.A.M.C. vehicles which are to be painted Khaki Green with Geneva Crosses."

So I think my mind must be playing tricks on me Mike, because I recall Vehicle Dark Green as a general instruction, unrelated to any specific area or command. It's very annoying because it's stuck in my mind quite firmly!

Something else I've been meaning to ask is when was DBG introduced? I have 1949 in my head but I have no idea where it came from!
Old 07-03-14, 07:12

Default aussie green paint

hi
for use in australia paint was dulux khaki green dull dulux 369-9947

gloss white 382-6592
straight from the AWM files so do not know if you can still get it for army ambulances WWII red cross gloss red 388 and gloss white 388 cross to drg MGO(V) 560-565 if
going that way the cross ratio is 3-1 ( height x Width) the outer circle is 4 ratio is different for RAF medical containers skinny cross
regs
Rupert

Last edited by rupert condick; 07-03-14 at 07:20.